• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Thanks IGB for the clarification on the 27.

So basically they took a moderate restored 27 with color touch around all edges, cut away the color touch and all underlying original paper, leaf cast out those areas and recolored them and trimmed them to simulate a basic size parameter. If that is correct the the 9.6 extensive, while certainly very visually appealing, is significantly less original than the 6.5 moderate. If one applies water to the 9.6 the leaf-cast area should fall away leaving a mangled edged book similar to the attachment. It should be worth significantly less.

Thank you kindly for your comment Mr. Bedrock. Just to clarify, the 27 prior to our resto was a CGC 6.5 B-5. This means it was previously Extensive (and more/less Amateur). 5 is the maximum CGC designation for degree of resto. Previous resto had a form of irreversible mending around 75% of the book's interior cover perimeters. Irreversible meaning permanent, meaning not removable in water, meaning it had to be chiseled/scraped off. This mending caused decent warping in the book. In order to grade high, the book cannot cockle or warp and must be seamless. It was necessary to extract and re-cast using a slurry containing proper amounts of conservation grade additives to prevent shrinkage over time. Nobody likes shrinkage.

Best,

Matt

I got the Resto notes on the 6.5 copy through CGC. All the applied restoration except for the "interior lightening" was given an "A" or Pro rating.

There was piece fill to the top, middle and bottom spine, as well as the top and bottom corners of the front cover. The color touch was very likely acrylic which is accepted in the "A" rating. And while typically a bear to remove, especially if heavily applied. It is removable with chemical/solvent treatments. And yes, sometimes you just have to scrape it off.

The luxury you have with GA covers is how thick they are, so even if the CT removal results in paper(or ink) loss, it usually can be contained to the side you are working on(in this case the interior cover)..and not result in major paper loss. Granted each book is different, so are removal results. It's almost never perfect, or pretty.

Comic Books while not Historical documents are still very rare, and since Conservationists do not condone the removal of paper for aesthetic improvement on any level. Restoring comic books should be no different, try and preserve as much original material as possible even if it means the results suffer from it. Not lose original comic art as a direct result from the restorative process.

So yeah, I am concerned with the intentional removal of paper where it apparently wasn't necessary in order to avoid a "hard edge" upon which to leaf cast. It's evident from the 6.5 scans that portions of front cover edges were not color touched at all, especially on the right edge. Which is what led me to believe your version was trimmed. Art was removed, and is still missing. This is what bothers me more then anything, if portions of the cover were lost either through Resto removal, or intentionally jagged as part of your leaf casting process. Then the art inherent to this specific copy should have been replaced/restored. It wasn't. You said that the cover is the exact size it should be. I disagree.

I totally get that Resto removal can result in loss of paper, inks, art. I get that this book is an extensively restored item that had a lot of work done previously, and looks much better now. But at some point I hope your process is not causing damage, even if the incurred damage can be restored to a higher grade.

Offers have hit 300K+ already ...

Where is it listed? Or is it just private offers?

Yes, where is it listed ?

Nowhere for now. Taking private offers.

I would hope to see this book auctioned off on HA.

Could never get back into a blue holder.

Sure it could. It would just be coverless...and missing about thirty wraps.