• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

But I guess they wouldn't keep doing it if there weren't a market.

The impression I get are that these IGB/Voldy books are being forced upon the market, and perhaps with an exception or two, have woefully under-performed.

That is interesting. Do you think IGB are making money?

The impression I get are that these IGB/Voldy books are being forced upon the market, and perhaps with an exception or two, have woefully under-performed.

I believe it really depends if you base their time on the going standard rates for restoration work or if you base it on a heavily discounted rate since its their own time that they are putting in, and hence really just more of an opportunity cost to them. hm

I think it's likely they made money on some books but not on others. I base that just on horseback estimates of the gap between what they have gotten on some books relative to what they (or their consignors) likely paid for them.

Long-term, though, it's hard to believe that prices of these books -- which in some cases are already fairly low -- will hold up. Presumably they can manufacture about as many copies as they want at least of the SA keys. Increased supply will lower prices as will the eventual realization among collectors that these books are a different animal than the typical restored book.

This basically shows how crazy pre Robin books have gotten.

Not crazy if you have the wrap and can unrestore the book.....

That would probably cost some change. Would it really be worth it? Especially since unrestoring it would give it a detached cover, a married wrap and a pretty low grade

Edited by lemonman5

Yipes!!

Love to know what this book was before it was reconstructed.

This is key before jumping to conclusions.

CGC 6.5 B-5 as a starting point.

Have an image? If it was older resto it's very feasible that it could be improved. Adding enough CT will cover most flaws.

2478995_Full_Obv.jpg

No question. Same book. Small circle in Bat's cowl dead giveaway.

Yipes!!

Love to know what this book was before it was reconstructed.

This is key before jumping to conclusions.

CGC 6.5 B-5 as a starting point.

Have an image? If it was older resto it's very feasible that it could be improved. Adding enough CT will cover most flaws.

IGB%20Tec%2027.jpg2478995_Full_Obv.jpg

Same book. Small circle in Bat's cowl dead giveaway.

Oh it's the same book, and it's been trimmed.

:facepalm:

I am fine with redoing old resto..but this really, really bothers me.

if they are the same book...compare this to the original, and it sure looks trimmed to me, doesn't it....look at that right edge? lot missing

Bound to happen ...

IGB%20Tec%2027.jpg

2478995_Full_Obv.jpg