• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Oh no, man

this is not happening: destruction af national heritage

only for greed. SHAME on these Guys ...

Yup, shame on IGB, shame on Voldy, and shame on the entity financing this greedy enterprise.

Maybe now some of the misguided apologists who have defended these IGB books will finally understand what the detractors have been saying all along.

I have seen many Voldy slabs where trimming wasn't disclosed quite a while back.

They graded some books from a bound volume that were trimmed but did not disclose that on the label either.

At the time, apologists said "well it's from a bound volume and everyone knows those are trimmed."

To which I replied: "Even if that were true, so?" (shrug)

-J.

Oh no, man

Yup, shame on IGB, shame on Voldy, and shame on the entity financing this greedy enterprise.

Maybe now some of the misguided apologists who have defended these IGB books will finally understand what the detractors have been saying all along.

I have seen many Voldy slabs where trimming wasn't disclosed quite a while back.

They graded some books from a bound volume that were trimmed but did not disclose that on the label either.

At the time, apologists said "well it's from a bound volume and everyone knows those are trimmed."

-J.

Jay, are referring to the Bob Kane books where some labels listed trimming and some didn't?

I'm sure he is. I remember those too.

CC has about 5-6 books (preRobin and early Tecs) listed. ALL of them have Trimmed on label. Which issues did not have Trimmed on label ?

Oh no, man

-J.

Jay, are referring to the Bob Kane books where some labels listed trimming and some didn't?

Yes I am. I'm not sure if it was the pre Robins or the early Bats but I know for a sure that they had no "trimming" notes on the labels.

-J.

Looks like CC still has this as a "restored" book in their listing (in spite of the picture) doh!

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=675641

-J.

Geez, wonder who placed that low-ball offer. :whistle::wishluck:meh

lol I knew it.

Isn't that what Leroy paid for his 1.8 two years ago? :tonofbricks:

-J.

I think less but Tec 33 is soooo passé :juggle:

Are you listening Vinnie :baiting:

Looks like CC still has this as a "restored" book in their listing (in spite of the picture) doh!

-J.

Geez, wonder who placed that low-ball offer. :whistle::wishluck:meh

lol I knew it.

Isn't that what Leroy paid for his 1.8 two years ago? :tonofbricks:

-J.

I think less but Tec 33 is soooo passé :juggle:

Are you listening Vinnie :baiting:

You're right he paid $12k..... :ohnoez:

-J.

Oh no, man

-J.

Yes I am. I'm not sure if it was the pre Robins or the early Bats but I know for a sure that they had no "trimming" notes on the labels.

-J.

This Tec #27 was the biggie. On this one, trimming was noted even in the CC auction description but was nowhere on the label.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566838

This Tec #27 was the biggie. On this one, trimming was noted even in the CC auction description but was nowhere on the label.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566838

The Tec 33 2.5 is advertised as restored in description but is is not.

"and, boy oh boy, if you want a restored copy of Detective 33, you are not going to do any better than this. "

-J.

Are we claiming that the 27 is trimmed only from an auction description that probably was 1 copy/paste too many from the other books ?

... or did CBCS monumentally F up on their opening night. :juggle:

CC has about 5-6 books (preRobin and early Tecs) listed. ALL of them have Trimmed on label. Which issues did not have Trimmed on label ?

The Tec 27 and Bats 1 did NOT have trimming listed on the label.

Hello all, Matt & Emily here.

We restored the 27 and want to clear up confusion. We appreciate all concern and assure you that we have the hobby's best interest in mind with everything we do. .

There is concern we trimmed the bottom & right side of the cover. It may (or may not!) surprise you to know that we actually trimmed all 4 edges of both the front and back cover.

We don't like giving out our methods but this is an important book. Our standard re-restoration process includes removing all previous restoration from a book before we begin our restoration (unless it has been done perfectly). After which we wash covers and press them flat to remove additional warping. We cast (sometimes full) perimeters of the covers for sharpness and strength. Excess is trimmed off to the best of our ability with references to unrestored books. This technique is common among extensively restored books.

Per Kenny's explanation of his FC3 trimming in question, it's ok to trim leafcasting up to the original art: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8637318&fpart=1

We understand the issue here is that the 27 appears short on the bottom & right edge. Initially this book was a CGC 6.5 B-5, though when we cracked it, wraps 3-5 were swapped with wraps 13-15 - which made the pages fit together poorly. Btw we were freaking out thinking that we had purchased a copy missing wraps! How do you resolve that one?!

So the book was wider at the bottom and previous 6.5 resto made the spine larger to compensate. More importantly, the front cover inside lower right edges had warping, mismatched color, thick non-archival mends - see attached. We could not aqueously remove them so they had to be physically extracted. We can't put good work on top of bad work. We create jags when extracting for smoother, stronger joins. Ultimately a few millimeters of art was lost to remove non-archival mending.

Much of the area of Bob Kane was piece addition from previous resto, signature was retouched by their hand and slightly smaller when compared to the HA copies - possibly in attempt to make more fit on the page. For this 27 in particular we used the HA 8.0 & 6.5 copies as our guide.

In the end, the book is the exact size it should be. Even the cover is the proper GA DC thickness of ~0.17mm - attached. The utmost care was taken to make this special book look and feel perfect. We understand such an important piece of history will be under heavy scrutiny. We certainly appreciate everyone's feedback and use it to be better with each project.

We aren't on the forum often so my direct email is matthewmeyers1@gmail.com. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, we promise transparency and a quick response.

For anyone who is interested, we will be at Chicago Con with the 27 and other raw restored GA books. We welcome anyone who would like to inspect and feel our work.

All our best,

Matt & Emily

163937.jpg.804238636b69cd03db6f6dbc25e6315b.jpg

163938.jpg.6445985fe3656a0064572c623e63ae74.jpg

163939.jpg.cf7239d0415e42667efca8758f77bebc.jpg

I know for a fact that the 31 and 33 did not have trimmed on the label either.

-J.

I know for a fact that the 31 and 33 did not have trimmed on the label either.

-J.

Jay, the 33 had trimmed in the notes section on the label. I would post a picture, but I cannot because it is a CBCS book.

Here ya go:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566865

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566872

Edited by kinzebac