• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Thanks IGB for the clarification on the 27.

So basically they took a moderate restored 27 with color touch around all edges, cut away the color touch and all underlying original paper, leaf cast out those areas and recolored them and trimmed them to simulate a basic size parameter. If that is correct the the 9.6 extensive, while certainly very visually appealing, is significantly less original than the 6.5 moderate. If one applies water to the 9.6 the leaf-cast area should fall away leaving a mangled edged book similar to the attachment. It should be worth significantly less.

So basically they took a moderate restored 27 with color touch around all edges, cut away the color touch and all underlying original paper, leaf cast out those areas and recolored them and trimmed them to simulate a basic size parameter. If that is correct the the 9.6 extensive, while certainly very visually appealing, is significantly less original than the 6.5 moderate. If one applies water to the 9.6 the leaf-cast area should fall away leaving a mangled edged book similar to the attachment. It should be worth significantly less.

Thank you Richard for the (simpler) explanation.

This.

I'm sure he is. I remember those too.

CC has about 5-6 books (preRobin and early Tecs) listed. ALL of them have Trimmed on label. Which issues did not have Trimmed on label ?

The Tec 27 and Bats 1 did NOT have trimming listed on the label.

I know for a fact that the 31 and 33 did not have trimmed on the label either.

-J.

Jay, the 33 had trimmed in the notes section on the label. I would post a picture, but I cannot because it is a CBCS book.

Here ya go:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566865

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566872

Thanks ! I must be losing my mind. lol So maybe it was just the Tec 27 and the Bats 1 I'm remembering ? I definitely remembered seeing it (or rather not seeing it) and more than one label saying something about it and then getting a tongue lashing for pointing out from a boardie (bluechip I thinkJ. whom I suspect was the consignor).

-J.

seeing the book after leaf casting, and given their talents, Im wondering why they don't just repaint EXPERTLY what needs it, leaving the rest of the covers intact (painting-wise)... rather than repainting the entire over until it looks plastic and shiny but not original inks?

Just clean the covers and retouch the areas that are missing.

and why not leave some of the dirt in the yellow.. the books will look more like high grade comic books and not total recreations, which most of us have been complaining about since their work began appearing.

Other restorers were bad painters, and the areas added always looked too heavily painted etc. The Meyers I believe have the skills to do a BETTER job, by doing LESS than they feel they need to now.

anyone else agree?

seeing the book after leaf casting, and given their talents, Im wondering why they don't just repaint EXPERTLY what needs it, leaving the rest of the covers intact (painting-wise)... rather than repainting the entire over until it looks plastic and shiny but not original inks?

Just clean the covers and retouch the areas that are missing.

and why not leave some of the dirt in the yellow.. the books will look more like high grade comic books and not total recreations, which most of us have been complaining about since their work began appearing.

Other restorers were bad painters, and the areas added always looked too heavily painted etc. The Meyers I believe have the skills to do a BETTER job, by doing LESS than they feel they need to now.

anyone else agree?

They definitely have talent. But if they approached their work as you suggest, or as a historical conservationist would, they would not be able to achieve such high apparent grades from CBCS.

expect the blue labeled Tecs to continue to rise in value as the restored numbers overtake them. Friggin unmolested copies are becoming unicorns

Of the 27-38 run, 28 is the only issue that at present counts more restored than universal copies.

27 has an the number distributed equally.

expect the blue labeled Tecs to continue to rise in value as the restored numbers overtake them. Friggin unmolested copies are becoming unicorns

Of the 27-38 run, 28 is the only issue that at present counts more restored than universal copies.

And many consider 28 to be the toughest of the pre-Robin 'Tec books to find.

I personally believed that it is probably the most undervalued issue in the entire pre-Robin 'Tec run, considering that it is still the 2nd appearance of Batman, and seems to go for much lower than the other early issues simply because it doesn't have Batman on the front cover. hm:cloud9::takeit:

How accurate are those numbers though? I don't know, im asking? As more and more are restored, id imagine a fair amount of those were previous low grade blue labels. I know i see a lot more restored pre robin tecs on the market than blue labels.

Thank you kindly for your comment Mr. Bedrock. Just to clarify, the 27 prior to our resto was a CGC 6.5 B-5. This means it was previously Extensive (and more/less Amateur). 5 is the maximum CGC designation for degree of resto. Previous resto had a form of irreversible mending around 75% of the book's interior cover perimeters. Irreversible meaning permanent, meaning not removable in water, meaning it had to be chiseled/scraped off. This mending caused decent warping in the book. In order to grade high, the book cannot cockle or warp and must be seamless. It was necessary to extract and re-cast using a slurry containing proper amounts of conservation grade additives to prevent shrinkage over time. Nobody likes shrinkage.

Best,

Matt

Thank you kindly for your comment Mr. Bedrock. Just to clarify, the 27 prior to our resto was a CGC 6.5 B-5. This means it was previously Extensive (and more/less Amateur). 5 is the maximum CGC designation for degree of resto. Previous resto had a form of irreversible mending around 75% of the book's interior cover perimeters. Irreversible meaning permanent, meaning not removable in water, meaning it had to be chiseled/scraped off. This mending caused decent warping in the book. In order to grade high, the book cannot cockle or warp and must be seamless. It was necessary to extract and re-cast using a slurry containing proper amounts of conservation grade additives to prevent shrinkage over time. Nobody likes shrinkage.

Best,

Matt

bedrock is correct if it was mod...but it was already extensive so likely your extensive is no more work, just makes it look better...

a question, if I may have your attention for a moment....approx. how much of the front cover surface area is "original" and how much is painted over...I think for me, that is the question I would like to know the answer too...

if it is 5% or 10%, then 90-95% of cover is original, I would consider bidding/buying... but if it is 15%+ to ?, that is where I wish the detail was known...and since you did the work, you know the detail, so would appreciate if you would elaborate :wishluck: