• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

Just opened my junk email which I received from Metro the other day and these 3 Detectives popped right up:

:facepalm:

Wow, they certainly look impressive, especially relative to their rather low assigned grades.  :cloud9:

Not sure about the prices though, especially with respect to the 'Tec 29.  hm

Edited by lou_fine
Obvious that I don't know how to copy pictures from an email message into a post

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

In the current CGC tape stance,  I've never seen a 2.0 attached with tape in a 2.0 blue holder. Good detective work Gotham. So the CL 27 copy should receive a 2.0 label if regarded possibly....since both the 36 and 27 looks so comparable.

2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

In the current CGC tape stance,  I've never seen a 2.0 attached with tape in a 2.0 blue holder. Good detective work Gotham. So the CL 27 copy should receive a 2.0 label if regarded possibly....since both the 36 and 27 looks so comparable.

Possibly.  The Tec 36 is in better overall condition than the Tec 27 because the latter has a couple larger pieces out at the back cover so 1.8 tops seems right I think.

2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I don't think it would re grade higher than 1.5 or 1.8 due to missing about 20% of the back cover. 

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Possibly.  The Tec 36 is in better overall condition than the Tec 27 because the latter has a couple larger pieces out at the back cover so 1.8 tops seems right I think.

Very comparable front cover but the 36 has a better back. Spot on.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I don't think it would re grade higher than 1.5 or 1.8 due to missing about 20% of the back cover. 

From the current CGC stance, looks like a 1.8 most likely...but what do I know.  I wouldn't call it a about 20% off the back cover...maybe 5%. ;)

13 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

From the current CGC stance, looks like a 1.8 most likely...but what do I know.  I wouldn't call it a about 20% off the back cover...maybe 5%. ;)

I need to check my archived scans...I don't remember that back cover being that nice

Well, I guess this book here must be waking up from its nap as this is its first move since it reached $33.5K well over 2 weeks ago:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452

Only a insignificant $500 move in over 2+ weeks, as compared to a $50K move for the CGC 9.0 copy of AF 15 over the same time period.

Not sure if this means the book is getting close to where it's going to finished up at, or if it just means the smart money is just watching on the sidelines and will come in and play only when it counts at the end.  hm

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess this book here must be waking up from its nap as this is its first move since it reached $33.5K well over 2 weeks ago:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452

Only a insignificant $500 move in over 2+ weeks, as compared to a $50K move for the CGC 9.0 copy of AF 15 over the same time period.

Not sure if this means the book is getting close to where it's going to finished up at, or if it just means the smart money is just watching on the sidelines and will come in and play only when it counts at the end.  hm

For bigger books on CC, a lot of the action can come late.  I've seen books double and triple in price during the (usually multiple) extended bidding periods.  That aspect of the CC auctions is great for sellers, but not so great for buyers, imo. 

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

For bigger books on CC, a lot of the action can come late.  I've seen books double and triple in price during the (usually multiple) extended bidding periods.  That aspect of the CC auctions is great for sellers, but not so great for buyers, imo. 

Maybe somebody should point this out to Anderson since I believe the large majority of his Church Pep run at HA did not move up at all at the end from where they finished up at the end of the internet bidding session.

Of course, virtually all of the books were probably already right there at the top by the time the internet bidding had ended prior to the live auction.  (shrug)

19 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 29 will close at 45-50K or thereabouts

Wow, no slow down yet as this would be close to 3X condition guide for this copy then.  :blush:

Is this the current going rate for a 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 29 in this marketplace, or is this going to be your max bid on this particular book?  Similar to how Gator was able to forecast the $317K sale of that Action 1 down to the last dollar since that was his max bid.  lol

The not so nice 3.5 ( much lesser eye appeal ) in the last CC auction closed at 40K. Leroy has since had it pressed and it looks much better now. The 3.0, when compared to the former 3.5, should fetch more.

27 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

On second thought, you might just be bang on with your forecast here.  (thumbsu

Not sure about any possible technical defects, but the above CGC 3.0 graded copy sure seems to present much better than the CGC 3.5 graded copy which sold for just over $40K in CC's last Event auction only a few short months ago:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=685980&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

I would say buy the book, as opposed to buying the label, but in this case it's probably best to buy the Grader's Notes for $15 first.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The not so nice 3.5 ( much lesser eye appeal ) in the last CC auction closed at 40K. Leroy has since had it pressed and it looks much better now. The 3.0, when compared to the former 3.5, should fetch more.

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

So, if you expect the 'Tec 29 to be in the $45K - $50K range, where do you expect the equally nice presenting 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 to finished up at: 

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Of course we would have to take into account the fact that this is the issue that signaled the end of the highly popular pre-Robin 'Tec's and featured the first appearance and origin of Batman's "love toy".  lol    Nevertheless, still considered to be a GA key and at a time right when the market appears to be starting to cycle back into some of these long-term traditional keys which have been sitting on the sidelines for awhile.  hm

Any chance at all that this 3.0 graded copy here would have a shot at crossing the $30K threshold level since a "not looking any better" CGC 4.0 graded copy of this same book was able to fetch $35K in the last CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=686230&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

The 4.0 had no tape while the 3.0 does. Better PQ too. If the 3.0 ends up at 25K I'd figure it'd be a fair price. (8K/point)

I'll take a 38 any day. (thumbsu

Edited by Gotham Kid

37 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The 4.0 had no tape while the 3.0 does. Better PQ too. If the 3.0 ends up at 25K I'd figure it'd be a fair price. (8K/point)

I'll take a 38 any day. (thumbsu

Looks like both the 'Tec 29 and the 'Tec 38 in this upcoming auction have tape on them.  Wonder if this could be one of the reasons why both books appear to be grading lower than their visual appearance, given CGC's recent change in stance when it comes to tape on a book?  (shrug)

As for PQ, I am not that fussy about since CGC is not known for their consistency when it comes to determining PQ.  As long as it's not brittle or tan, than it should be good to go for GA books from my point of view.  (thumbsu

Totally agree with you on taking a 'Tec 38 though, especially in today's marketplace since it's always strategically good to buy a book when it's out of favor, but also appears to be on the verge of turning it around and going on a long overdue upward climb.  hm