• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Robinson Pedigree

142 posts in this topic

"These books came directly from the DC offices at the time of publication and were used by Jerry for reference through these many years.  As such, they exhibit the typical wear and tear one would expect."

There's one copy of each.

Time will tell how much the page quality actually matters.

I am not sure if these particularly graded copies are the DC office copies, or if they are part of Jerry's collection... he had multiples of almost all early batmans (up to 3-5 copies of each, I am told), so this only represents a small portion (shrug)

the picture clearly shows the multiples

"These books came directly from the DC offices at the time of publication and were used by Jerry for reference through these many years.  As such, they exhibit the typical wear and tear one would expect."

I am not sure if these particularly graded copies are the DC office copies, or if they are part of Jerry's collection... he had multiples of almost all early batmans (up to 3-5 copies of each, I am told), so this only represents a small portion (shrug)

(thumbs u

Multiples of some but certainly not all of the issues. As I understand it, the issues for sale are the DC office copies.

As far as PQ for copies where there is only one - as a collector - would you rather have Jerry's personal reference/DC office copy of Tec 31 or would you pass because of PQ despite the provenance and the fact that the issue was collected for reference purposes and not future value?

As an artist, I understand that you may have a different slant than the average collector.

Jerry Robinson is top-notch to be sure, but a brittle book is a brittle book.

I'd have to pass, provenance or not - and it's not value per se at all, I just personally enjoy a book with better PQ.

As an artist, I understand that you may have a different slant than the average collector.

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not an artist. (shrug)

I understand the PQ argument under normal circumstances, but seeing as they're CGC graded and signed by Jerry as his personal file copies, I can definitely see past the PQ. But that's just my personal opinion, which clearly others disagree with.

Multiples of some but certainly not all of the issues. As I understand it, the issues for sale are the DC office copies.

As far as PQ for copies where there is only one - as a collector - would you rather have Jerry's personal reference/DC office copy of Tec 31 or would you pass because of PQ despite the provenance and the fact that the issue was collected for reference purposes and not future value?

The question feels a little loaded because of the way it uses the words "future value" seems to put a conclusion in the question.

It may not be intentional but as written it presumes things saved for reference can't have as much future value as something that was saved with the intent of accuring future value. It would be easy to cite many examples where the reverse was true.

I would much rather have Einstein's moldy reference copy of a published paper than I would to have a minty fresh copy saved by a guy who saved it for future value (especially if many more like it were also saved). Of course, Jerry Robinson isn't Einstein, but you get the drift.

Nothing wrong with preferring the minty-ness over the provenance, if that's what floats your proverbial boat. But I wouldn't assume that everybody else feels the same way, or that they should be influenced to feel the same way.

There are few enough existing copies of early batmans that there's plenty of room for copies to be worthy and valuable for more than any one reason (condition, rarity, provenance are all good and the fact the one is valuable does not need to be seen as a threat to the value of others).

Hey, maybe there's even a minty fresh copy that was owned by Robinson and lent to Einstein, who scribbled some undiscovered theorum on it? Then, everybody would be after it.

Ooops, I misread your sig line :sorry:

I've seen plenty of books - brittle, slightly brittle, CGC .5, etc. - that guys really get a jolt out of owning, and I think that's great.

There's a wide enough spectrum for everyone to enjoy this hobby, which is one of its main strengths. (thumbs u

I've seen plenty of books - brittle, slightly brittle, CGC .5, etc. - that guys really get a jolt out of owning, and I think that's great.

There's a wide enough spectrum for everyone to enjoy this hobby, which is one of its main strengths. (thumbs u

+1

(don't know how to make thumbs up icon)

Some people even like Centaurs. :o

Jerry Robinson is top-notch to be sure, but a brittle book is a brittle book.

I'd have to pass, provenance or not - and it's not value per se at all, I just personally enjoy a book with better PQ. [/quote

me too

Me too.

Me three

Me four.

I just don't get how anyone can overlook brittle, slightly brittle and starting-to-be-brittle pages. Nothing looks more gnarly than seeing bits and pieces of a comic book laying in the bottom of a CGC case. When I see this I can't help but think that if I were to open the case the comic would just plain disintegrate in my hands.

And why would it matter who owned them? Crumbling apart is crumbling apart.

Me too.

Me three

Me four.

I just don't get how anyone can overlook brittle, slightly brittle and starting-to-be-brittle pages. Nothing looks more gnarly than seeing bits and pieces of a comic book laying in the bottom of a CGC case. When I see this I can't help but think that if I were to open the case the comic would just plain disintegrate in my hands.

And why would it matter who owned them? Crumbling apart is crumbling apart.

My sentiments exactly and I'd even take it one step further. Suppose I was collecting a run of books, and I had 49 of the 50 books in the collection. Now imagine that on the last book I need, there is only one known example and it has brittle pages, guess what? My run would remain incomplete, perhaps forever. I'd rather not have something at all, then to own something with brittle pages. Hell I won't even buy a GA book with C-OW pages :insane:

Jim