• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Robinson Pedigree

142 posts in this topic

at the right price and under the right condition, I will buy a brittle paged or slightly brittle paged book...

and the reason is that not all "brittle" pages are created equaly...

so what you have to look at is "why" did it get the brittle page notation...I have owned ow/w paged comics (ciorac will confirm the MF 56 ow+ page book that got a SB designtion from cgc due to one wrap "splitting" from the spine... book was already restored, so I had matt put a piece of rice paper over the split and low and behold, resub and ow/w)...

it would be a TRAVESTY to not buy that outstandingly suppl"y" paged copy due to the cgc case notation... but, there was treasure in that there notation

now, there are some brittle paged books that quite honestly, won't deteriorate any more either, and some that might crumble, you just have to "know" the book and circumstances for each situation (thumbs u

Me too.

Me three

Me four.

I just don't get how anyone can overlook brittle, slightly brittle and starting-to-be-brittle pages. Nothing looks more gnarly than seeing bits and pieces of a comic book laying in the bottom of a CGC case. When I see this I can't help but think that if I were to open the case the comic would just plain disintegrate in my hands.

And why would it matter who owned them? Crumbling apart is crumbling apart.

True, except that nowadays it isn't necessary or inevitable that a brittle book will "crumble apart."

I have seen a few like that and once just took the book out of the case, to find it was only brittle in one area where a loose cf hung out and got aged more than the rest of it. I allowed the brittle piece to flake off and put the book in a mylar and looked much better (and much more like a typical book).

Problem with "brittle" on a slab is it doesn't tell you how brittle and so you are better off assuming the worst case.

Now that there are ways to treat brittle paper using the same process as when the paper was created, I think treating them is better than letting them get worse. Leaf casting does a great job of it (though I prefer not trying to match the paper color, so you can see where any paper fiber was added)

Restoring brittle paper is not like restoring a cover tear, which will stay the same if you leave it alone. It gets worse. Actually, I suppose, all pre-acid-free comics pages are getting worse, every day. But if they're anywhere close to "crumbling" I'd rather have restored than crumbled.

I think "slightly brittle" and "brittle" are often lumped together, when they're really quite different. "Slightly brittle" is usually localized, often a small area of the interior(like bluechip's example above), while "brittle" encompasses a larger area, perhaps the length of the spine, or even the whole book.

makes me wonder how well cared for that original art collection is? I seem to remember a pic of the supes 14 cover showing some considerable paper deterioration (hope I'm not misremembering). Wonder if that happened in Jerry's care? Would be a shame if a bunch of one of a kinds were badly stored for many years.

makes me wonder how well cared for that original art collection is? I seem to remember a pic of the supes 14 cover showing some considerable paper deterioration (hope I'm not misremembering). Wonder if that happened in Jerry's care? Would be a shame if a bunch of one of a kinds were badly stored for many years.

I saw the Supe #14 cover original art when it was displayed here in NY, and I do remember it being a bit yellowed. But in fairness, if Jerry hadn't saved it... who knows if it would exist today at all.

Me too.

Me three

Me four.

I just don't get how anyone can overlook brittle, slightly brittle and starting-to-be-brittle pages. Nothing looks more gnarly than seeing bits and pieces of a comic book laying in the bottom of a CGC case. When I see this I can't help but think that if I were to open the case the comic would just plain disintegrate in my hands.

True, except that nowadays it isn't necessary or inevitable that a brittle book will "crumble apart."

I have seen a few like that and once just took the book out of the case, to find it was only brittle in one area where a loose cf hung out and got aged more than the rest of it. I allowed the brittle piece to flake off and put the book in a mylar and looked much better (and much more like a typical book).

Problem with "brittle" on a slab is it doesn't tell you how brittle and so you are better off assuming the worst case.

Now that there are ways to treat brittle paper using the same process as when the paper was created, I think treating them is better than letting them get worse. Leaf casting does a great job of it (though I prefer not trying to match the paper color, so you can see where any paper fiber was added)

Restoring brittle paper is not like restoring a cover tear, which will stay the same if you leave it alone. It gets worse. Actually, I suppose, all pre-acid-free comics pages are getting worse, every day. But if they're anywhere close to "crumbling" I'd rather have restored than crumbled.

Localized spots that are brittle or slightly brittle are certainly exceptions to my rule, but the problem is you can't tell if it's encapsulated.

And visual evidence is the most important proof. Crumbly little flakes at the bottom of a CGC can't be overlooked in any manner.

Me too.

Me three

Me four.

Localized spots that are brittle or slightly brittle are certainly exceptions to my rule, but the problem is you can't tell if it's encapsulated.

And visual evidence is the most important proof. Crumbly little flakes at the bottom of a CGC can't be overlooked in any manner.

I have an opposite story. I had a Detective 33 that had brittle pages which I had graded to sell because the brittle pages bothered me. I expected the worst when I received it back but it came back a 5.5, light tan to off-white. Sold it with the little paper flakes in the bottom of the cgc case. I was figuring it would be a 4.0, dare to dream 4.5 with hopefully slightly brittle pages.

Exactely! It's Jerry Robinson's collection we're talking about, the creator of Robin and the Joker. If the books came from let's say the collection of Dallas Stephens or Joe Schmo, if the pages were brittle then I wouldn't buy it.

John

Exactely! It's Jerry Robinson's collection we're talking about, the creator of Robin and the Joker. If the books came from let's say the collection of Dallas Stephens or Joe Schmo, if the pages were brittle then I wouldn't buy it.

John

This is my thinking as well. And from what little I've seen, some of these books present very well, but are low grade and have lower PQ. I think some people are going to be surprised when they actually see some of these books.

I think some people are going to be surprised when they actually see some of these books.

Well, the ones listed above will certainly look better than the assigned grade, but that's because the PQ dragged the grade down.

Here are a few pictures from the SDCC booth they were showing his collection at. Only a small sample they had on sight. Took only CASH/Check. Also, they were pricing them very fairly using the 4oth Overstreet guide (2009). I was shocked. They told us to stop taking pictures. Only ones I have before they stopped us. They were all SS status w/ his SIG on the splash page. All were graded 1.0-7.5. 4.5 for the CA #2, trying to sell for $3200 as an FYI. I almost bought it. If they took credit card I would have bought the CA#2. Who carries CASH for big huge purchases or even checks anymore. All the pages were brittle/tan or cream pages. The BAT#1 and TEC27 not CGC had major defects they said.

Enjoy:

ComicCon20101517.jpg

ComicCon20101516.jpg

ComicCon20101514.jpg

ComicCon20101514.jpg

ComicCon20101513.jpg

ComicCon20101512.jpg

:o

I wish I knew how to get into contact with them and purchase some of those!!!

very easy...pm me and I will give you their info (phone, email ,etc)...

:o

I wish I knew how to get into contact with them and purchase some of those!!!

very easy...pm me and I will give you their info (phone, email ,etc)...

Thanks. (thumbs u

Here are a few pictures from the SDCC booth they were showing his collection at. Only a small sample they had on sight. Took only CASH/Check. Also, they were pricing them very fairly using the 4oth Overstreet guide (2009). I was shocked. They told us to stop taking pictures. Only ones I have before they stopped us. They were all SS status w/ his SIG on the splash page. All were graded 1.0-7.5. 4.5 for the CA #2, trying to sell for $3200 as an FYI. I almost bought it. If they took credit card I would have bought the CA#2. Who carries CASH for big huge purchases or even checks anymore. All the pages were brittle/tan or cream pages. The BAT#1 and TEC27 not CGC had major defects they said.

Thanks for the pics. (thumbs u Other than PQ issues, what are the 'major defects' on the Tec 27? The part of the cover showing in your photos looks really nice.