• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Teen Titles (Silver Age)

409 posts in this topic

Modeling with Millie #35 • November 1964 • September 1964 newsstand

MwM35FNov64.jpg

Pink is a dramatic colour on these early Marvel teen titles. It must have stood out on the newsstand and comic racks.

This house ad convinced me to do a little research. So I went to the Grand Comic Book Database for a cover image to see who was "The Girl Between".

MwM35Ad.jpg

It turns out "The Girl Between" is not Patsy and Hedy #96 but rather #97. Note the new corner box.

PH97.jpg

It's a great cover but the mystery isn't solved as the GCD hadn't a story synopsis. Perhaps someone has a reading copy? Inquiring minds want to know. hm

Modeling with Millie #35 • November 1964 • September 1964 newsstand

MwM35FNov64.jpg

Pink is a dramatic colour on these early Marvel teen titles. It must have stood out on the newsstand and comic racks.

This house ad convinced me to do a little research. So I went to the Grand Comic Book Database for a cover image to see who was "The Girl Between".

MwM35Ad.jpg

It turns out "The Girl Between" is not Patsy and Hedy #96 but rather #97. Note the new corner box.

PH97.jpg

It's a great cover but the mystery isn't solved as the GCD hadn't a story synopsis. Perhaps someone has a reading copy? Inquiring minds want to know. hm [/quote

I have one...but could not tell you where it is... :tonofbricks:

Nice book. I recognized Vince Colletta's inks but I had to look up the penciller on the GCD -- Di ck Giordano.

I understand that it was hard to make ends meet just working at Charlton.

Poorly preserved books as you have noted and I think it too much to hope for.

The White Mountain FF#1 has the full year on the cover, but I must admit I haven't seen a WM with an apostrophe to represent the "19" among the two-digit notations.

Marvel published thirteen books in September 1963. Eight superhero titles; three teen titles; Rawhide Kid and Sgt. Fury.

Thirteen! Would that number not have been above the upper limit of monthly releases under the terms of Marvel's distribution deal?

???

I pick these up from time to time. They are fun...in moderation.

My question then is what you prefer to pick up more often. And why. Aren't these titles a lot less common than Marvel's superhero ones, but cheaper nonetheless?

???

Marvel published thirteen books in September 1963. Eight superhero titles; three teen titles; Rawhide Kid and Sgt. Fury.

Thirteen! Would that number not have been above the upper limit of monthly releases under the terms of Marvel's distribution deal?

???

As to the limitation of Marvel titles, Martin Goodman distributed his own Atlas comic books with Atlas News but by the mid-1950s was becoming concerned with distancing his other publishing endeavours from his comic book line. Comic books were undergoing a lot of negative publicity (Senate hearings, comics code, Seduction of the Innocent) and upon the advice of a business manager, Monroe Froelich, Goodman folded his comic distribution company and signed with American News in late 1956.

American News, though a giant in comic book distribution industry, suffered greatly as publisher after publisher withdrew from the comic book market. American News collapsed in early 1957 and Goodman was forced to make a deal with Independent News to distribute his comics. Independent was owned by DC Comics and DC saw this as an opportunity to end Goodman's habit of flooding the shelves with comics that exploited whatever happened to be the latest comic book fad.

Goodman's Atlas/Marvel line was reduced to 8 titles monthly (16 bimonthly). By mid 1960, Marvel was publishing 10 titles a month and 12 every second month by 1962. Limits seemed to have loosened a bit more by 1964 when, for example, they published 16 books in June.

...DC saw this as an opportunity to end Goodman's habit of flooding the shelves with comics that exploited whatever happened to be the latest comic book fad.

Goodman's Atlas/Marvel line was reduced to 8 titles monthly (16 bimonthly). By mid 1960, Marvel was publishing 10 titles a month and 12 every second month by 1962. Limits seemed to have loosened a bit more by 1964 when, for example, they published 16 books in June.

In retrospect that turned out to be the best possible thing that happened to both Marvel and comic fandom. Not being able to spam the comic shelves with superhero titles after DC's success in reviving the genre in 1959-61 forced Stan Lee to take a rifle shot approach. In other words, he had the time to focus on quality since quantity was not an option.

(thumbs u

Just looking through some issues and found myself unable to identify the cover artist of this issue of Patsy Walker -- something I am usually good at.

The GCD tells me it's Sol Brodsky (1923-1984) and Frank Giacoia (1924-1988). It's really fine work.

PW120FApr65.jpg

I thought it might be a bit of a tribute to locate and post more of Brodsky's work as the GCD lists 200 covers by Brodsky --- but only 8 or so are Silver Age Teen titles. (It could be a collecting niche.)

The small number of covers is a bit of shame given his talent, but a little research shows that he was very busy as Marvel's production manager from 1964 into the early seventies.

Just got this in the mail.

These Linda's are IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade. I've been hunting them for nearly 20 years and this is the nicest copy of this issue I've seen.

LC4.jpg

NICE!!! :cloud9: You have an under copy of issue #5??? Last one I need for the complete 9 issue set!!!! :headbang:

Just got this in the mail.

These Linda's are IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade. I've been hunting them for nearly 20 years and this is the nicest copy of this issue I've seen.

LC4.jpg

You're so right. This may just be the nicest copy.