• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Just picked this one up, Popeye # 158. Not the highest grade but these are so rare I had to pick it up. Listed as the 3rd rarest Whitman comic (25-50 available) and rarely pops up FS. From 1980 whitman 3 packs, now I have 2 as I have the one I originally purchased in the pack as a kid. It is a really fun read.

popeye158.jpg

Edited by kidcolt

I noticed that US 179 is fairly well down the Whitman rarity list, but seems to be the one that gets the most attention. Is this due to the broader collector base for the title?

And what's the story on these rare Whitman's, they were only available in 3 packs most places for a few months?

Also are there any DC Whitman variants that are as hard to find as the Whitman only books from this era?

I noticed that US 179 is fairly well down the Whitman rarity list, but seems to be the one that gets the most attention. Is this due to the broader collector base for the title?

And what's the story on these rare Whitman's, they were only available in 3 packs most places for a few months?

Also are there any DC Whitman variants that are as hard to find as the Whitman only books from this era?

The US 179 probably has the broadest collector base, and there was always a demand for it. Star Wars 1 35 cent variant = Uncle Scrooge 179.

The rarest Whitmans were only released as three packs, with the rarest of the rare ones having very low distribution even as packs.

The DC Presents 22 Whitman variant is by far the rarest DC Whitman - for a long time it was rumored not to exist until somebody on the board found one.

Edited by FlyingDonut

The DC Presents 22 Whitman variant is by far the rarest DC Whitman - for a long time it was rumored not to exist until somebody on the board found one.

Actually, for a long time it was rumored to exist, but the people trying to prove it could never find a copy to validate it. It was however on all of the early lists. (like Doug Supila's)

At least one scan was forwarded to STL, but it could not be verified. (could have been photo shopped)

Then a video was sent to STL as proof. I believe that book was purchased by a board member.

Since then I think two others have surfaced.

The US 179 probably has the broadest collector base, and there was always a demand for it. Star Wars 1 35 cent variant = Uncle Scrooge 179.

The rarest Whitmans were only released as three packs, with the rarest of the rare ones having very low distribution even as packs.

As always the Donut has the answers

Yeah. Who says you don't get much from a donut hole? :D

And Warlord has the comics! Here's the book from the video

whitmandccomicspresents22-sm.jpg

By the way, to elaborate on the multi-packs, some of the rare DC Whitmans were sold in 2 packs as well as the 3 packs.

133144.jpg.4d78d2153e96c59a073edc79a2352f2a.jpg

Ian's thread is a treasure trove of images!

Here's the Remco Warlord book - apparently this is the only one anyone's ever seen, as it is supposed to not exist. This might be the winner.

855999-lostwarlordcopy.JPG

Was this the winner? (shrug) How does one price a book like this?

Any way one wants.

lol pretty much.

Supply is very small. How is demand for this comic?

Isn't there only one known copy? Is this still true, donut?

hm

I find it very interesting that you brought this book back into the discussion.

You are eluding to having a copy, with the couple of Emotes youve done, but not showing it.

The reason I am curious about this, is because I missed a copy of this remco Warlord promo that came up for sale on 12/17/12. I wont say from where but it was online. It was very underpriced for how rare this book is.

So either you have one, and this book I saw was a different copy, making it at least 3 known copies. Or the book I saw was the same one you got, and the reason you are not showing it yet, is because you havnt received it yet? hm

I just find the timeing pretty interesting. Stranger things have happened though (shrug)

Here's the Remco Warlord book - apparently this is the only one anyone's ever seen, as it is supposed to not exist. This might be the winner.

Any way one wants.

lol pretty much.

hm

You are eluding to having a copy, with the couple of Emotes youve done, but not showing it.

The reason I am curious about this, is because I missed a copy of this remco Warlord promo that came up for sale on 12/17/12. I wont say from where but it was online. It was very underpriced for how rare this book is.

So either you have one, and this book I saw was a different copy, making it at least 3 known copies. Or the book I saw was the same one you got, and the reason you are not showing it yet, is because you havnt received it yet? hm

I just find the timeing pretty interesting. Stranger things have happened though (shrug)

You DARE question the Warlord? :sumo:

Any way one wants.

lol pretty much.

hm

You DARE question the Warlord? :sumo:

I do! :fear: Maily because he brought the talk of this book back to life 12 hours before the one I missed came up for sale. I guess my conspiracy theory brain wants to think he has someone on the inside that told him it was coming up for sale, and at the strangest of times of day ( which is why I missed it ).

Better yet, maybe he IS the insider, set up the odd time to put it up for sale, and then bought it... :gossip:

Seriously tho, it's just really strange. Warlord has prolly had that book for a while, and his timing of the post was just conicidence. Ive learned to never close a door completely however.

Not sure if I posted this before but, I've been on the Christmas spirit and my ability to search and type is limited, so here we go:

Superman409SuperhombreCGC9.6.jpg

Apparently only 3 or maybe 4 copies known to exist, thought to have been produced as "Ashcans" (in the old sense of the word) simply to keep the Superhombre tradmark going).