• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Ah yes, but do you have the promo warlord book?

:banana:

The teasing is over! I just posted my top 3 acquisitions of 2012. Here's the one you've been waiting to see along with my commentary from my post in General. Enjoy!

Nine, yes, NINE years of searching FINALLY turned up this "it doesn't exist" impossibility -- the Remco Warlord figure with a little something extra. This package contains the Warlord Remco mini-comic "Battle Beneath the Earth"!!!!!!! Another FANTASTIC Warlord item for my collection! Ian Levine brought this comic to my attention back around 2003 when he was finishing up his DC collection. He stated that info he had from Paul Levitz is that this comic was cancelled, never made, and is not officially supposed to exist. Certainly most of the Warlord figures did not have the comic and apparently the few that did were meant to have been destroyed since, as Ian relayed, Paul Levitz was so adamant that they had scrapped the comic. That didn't stop me from searching for either the loose comic or the ultimate prize, the carded figure that contains the mini-comic! I'd have been happy to have either item but I'm just a little extra elated that I found the mini-comic with the Warlord figure MOC! You can see the Woolworth's price sticker on the card, so apparently this figure with the mini-comic was sold at an ordinary retail outlet!

WarlordRemcoMiniComic-small_zpsa065ac20.jpg

One other note, I've compared this MOC item side by side with another MOC Warlord and I can't find a single difference between the two other than the presence of the mini-comic in this one. It's a puzzling mystery why an incredibly few copies of this Warlord figure made it out into the retail world containing the mini-comic!

Without getting into specifics, where did you find it? And how?

How? Insane persistence! Nine years of almost-daily review of pics of EVERY carded Warlord figure that I could find for sale on the internet! :insane:

Where? The majority of the carded Warlord figures were found on ebay and that's where I snagged this one.

Does Ian have a copy of the mini-comic?

Yes, that's where the image that is floating around came from. Ian swore up and down that this was the rarest of all DC promos. I tend to believe him - I've seen three Supergears, for example, and only two of these.

valkyrie1.JPG

valkyrie2.JPG

valkyrie3.JPG

Valkyrie, Prisoner of the Past hardcover 2,250 signed/numbered on a plate by Chuck Dixon and Paul Gulacy. Put out by Eclipse in 1987. Doesn't seem terribly difficult to find despite the low number printed. Nice foil "V" logo stamp too.

Edited by kpaqu1

valkyrie1.JPG

valkyrie2.JPG

valkyrie3.JPG

Valkyrie, Prisoner of the Past hardcover 2,250 signed/numbered on a plate by Chuck Dixon and Paul Gulacy. Put out by Eclipse in 1987. Doesn't seem terribly difficult to find despite the low number printed. Nice foil "V" logo stamp too.

This and the other HC you posted are actually pretty cool :)

Seems like collectible HC's weren't as big a thing back then. I know a handful existed. I imagine it was a send away deal in the back pages of a comic?

valkyrie1.JPG

valkyrie2.JPG

valkyrie3.JPG

This and the other HC you posted are actually pretty cool :)

Seems like collectible HC's weren't as big a thing back then. I know a handful existed. I imagine it was a send away deal in the back pages of a comic?

They were definitely a specialty item. Most companies just reprinted single issues over and over rather than collect them in a single volume. Probably easier to get people to drop $2 for a missing issue than $12 for a TPB or $20 for a HC. I know Graffiti Designs (the t-shirt people) put out some signed HCs. I have an American Flagg one I'll post tomorrow maybe and some more Eclipse HCs from 1990.

Although it's been a low priority, I've been trying to compile a list of all the Eclipse hardcovers. Scans would be great to see.

DG

Here's a short list of the signed limited editions I got from an ad in the book I just posted in the Hardest to Find 90's thread:

Sabre 10th Ann.

The Sacred and the Profane

Somerset Holmes

Silverheels

Sisterhood of Steel

Valkyrie, Prisoner of the Past

Scout: The Four Monsters

Alex Toth's Zorro Vol 1 and 2 in a slipcase

Pigeons from Hell

Ariane and Bluebeard

Dr. Watchstop: Adventures in Time and Space

Toadswart D'Amplestone

Beanworld Vol 1 and 2

Some also have non-signed versions and TPB versions. And there are others titles that only came unsigned that I didn't list. All the signed hardcovers sold for $30 or more in the ad.

These were the notes I made a couple of years ago. I'll be honest. I forgot what most of my notes mean other than some having softcovers and hardcovers.

Eclipse Graphic Album Series (1978-1992)

1, 2 (SC, Night Music), 3 (SC, Same as Detectives, Inc), 4, 5 (same as Price, The), 6 (same as I Am Coyote), 7, 8 (same as Zorro In Old California), 9, 10, 11 (same as Floyd Farland - Citizen Of The Future), 12, 13 (same as Sisterhood of Steel, The), 14, 15, 16 (Air Fighters Classics), 17, 18 (Air Fighters Classics),19, 20 (Air Fighters Classics), 21, 22 (Alien Worlds Anthology), 23 (Air Fighters Classics), 24 (same as Heartbreak Comics), 25 (same as Alex Toth's Zorro Book 1, SC), 25A (same as Alex Toth's Zorro Book 1, HC), 26 (same as Alex Toth's Zorro Book 2, SC), 26A (same as Alex Toth's Zorro Book 2, HC), 27 (Fast Fiction: She) , 28 (same as Miracleman: A Dream of Flying), 29, 30 (SC, same as Brought to Light), 30A (HC, same as Brought to Light), 31 (SC, Pigeons From Hell), 31A (HC, Signed and Numbered, Pigeons From Hell), 32, 33, 34 (Air Fighters Classics), 35, 36 (SC, Dr. Watchstop: Adventures in Time and Space), 36A (HC, Signed and Numbered, Dr. Watchstop: Adventures in Time and Space), 37, 38

DG

Does Ian have a copy of the mini-comic?

Yes, that's where the image that is floating around came from. Ian swore up and down that this was the rarest of all DC promos. I tend to believe him - I've seen three Supergears, for example, and only two of these.

Even with a handful of copies found, is this book still the rarest officially liscensed book of the 80's? What does the super gears book look like? Edited by Paper Airplane

Are you going to remove the book?

No, I wouldn't consider doing that. It's gonna stay intact. I wouldn't mind having a loose copy of the book though... just have to decide if I want to search for another 9 years to get one of those! lol

I'm a little late to this party but just had to say a huge congrats on landing that mini comic. What a find!