• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

I bought a few of 3D-2D versions from ND Comics in early May. It is a hidden gem that most copper age collectors don't know about. Most assume that Miracleman was the only 3D-2D version produced by Eclipse. As you can see below that is not the case. All are signed and numbered.

TOR 1 COMIC 3D 2D

DNAGENTS 1 COMIC 3D 2D

LASER ERASER PRESSBUTTON 3D 2D

BLACK BELT HAMSTERS 2 3D 2D

BLACK BELT HAMSTERS 3 3D 2D

BLACK BELT HAMSTERS 4 3D 2D

NEW WAVE VS VOLUNTEERS 3D 2D

NEW WAVE VS VOLUNTEERS 3D 2D

It took months of research and years to finally obtain these copies.

Fantastic!

What did you pay for them?

By the way...in most Eclipse books from 1986-1989, they list the 3D/2Ds for sale for the whopping price of $5.

Crazy, huh?

$10 each.

Excellent. I'll have to hit up ND to see if they have any more.

I paid 3 times that for my DNAgents... lol

The Vertigo Encyclopedia insert is another one of those DC previews that are a pain to track down ...

dc-previews.jpg

:frustrated: I still don't have any of those previews. I might have to start tracking those down before you guys grap all the nice copies.

Juggernaut has a knack for finding the hard to find copper stuff. When I get some money together I'm going to have to ask him for tips :wishluck:

What am I, chopped liver..?

;)

I am, after all, one of the owners of the 3-4 known Maxx Black Ashcan #3s....

:insane:

Juggernaut has a knack for finding the hard to find copper stuff. When I get some money together I'm going to have to ask him for tips :wishluck:

What am I, chopped liver..?

;)

I am, after all, one of the owners of the 3-4 known Maxx Black Ashcan #3s....

:insane:

:foryou:

This is turning out to be a great thread. Here are a few more hard to find items.

Dead Air (GN)

Silverwolf Comics and Ashcans

Graphique Musique

Bizzare Sex #9

Omaha Cat Dancer

Rust #12 – 1st Terminator

Blip #1 – 1st Mario Bros. & Donkey Kong

Love and Rockets #1 (1st Print)

Ninja High School #1-3

Oh yeah, that Fantastic Fables #2 from Silverwolf is supposedly rare. There's probably thousands of nm copies but they are all owned by the same guy and he wants like $20 each for them.

I bought one :shy:

This is turning out to be a great thread. Here are a few more hard to find items.

Dead Air (GN)

Graphique Musique

Bizzare Sex #9

Omaha Cat Dancer

Ninja High School #1-3

Speaking of Omaha you'd be amiss not to mention this rarity:

omaha-2-pocket-preview.jpg

There are a *few* Marvel/DCs that qualify (the aforementioned Amethyst 35s, for example), but they are a tiny handful.

Even the Stars are not terribly rare (and all the NU is downright common.)

Not rare perhaps, if we're just talking about total remaining copies in any grade, but certainly scarce compared to other books of the time. Finding the last few issues of series like Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and a few others have been a real bear if you're looking for NM+ copies. I've bought a dozen OO predominatly Copper collections in the last ten years and none have inlcuded runs of Star books, even though the owners would collect most every other drekky Marvel title.

Not disagreeing with you in any way.

But the Stars, even rare relatively, don't even come close to books like Albedo #0, Gobbledygook 1 & 2, 3D/2Ds, etc.

And leaving grade out of the discussion, they become downright common.

I think I'm going to start a thread about drekky Marvel titles from the Dark Age and see who out is willing to admit they have these god-awful books.

Bizzare Sex #9

Omaha Cat Dancer

You are not kidding. It took two years for me to find two high-grade Rust 12s (or any copy really), BS 9 just doesn't come up that often, and it was three years before I found two nice copies of Omaha 1-2.

Thirded. I thought I was good when I finally found an uncut # 2. Then I remembered about these. Didn't he appear in three issues of the newsletter?

And I'm the guy who finished his Tick 1-8 first print set in 1990 by heading up to Boston and going to New England Comics itself. Didn't even think to ask about the Newsletters.

ooooh, is your uncut graded?

Mine's not, but it's headed there someday.

I bought it for $12 off eBay from a seller who didn't know what it was, and just advertised it as a regular first print. I think my high bid was $150 or thereabouts.

:cloud9:

And yes, the Tick #2 Uncut counts. It's pretty darn rare.

I got my copy out of a Copper collection I picked up five years ago. Paid about a quarter a book if memory serves. One of the great things about Copper collections is that you can find OO books and get them for real cheap....and you never know what sort of stuff you might find in terms of variants, error editions, and just plain tough books that the former owner thought were worthless.

Moebius 1/2, published by Graphitti Designs in the late 80s is a pretty tough book. I've seen two copies come up on eBay over several years, and there's currently one $100+ copy for sale on Amazon.

(The "1/2" is a play on the numbering of the Marvel/Epic/Dark Horse series of Moebius graphic novels published in the late 80s/early 90s. Epic published #1-9, Dark Horse published #0.)

Although not as rare as the comics being talked about here, the Marvel/Epic Moebius series has a few other tough books.

Moebius 7

Moebius 9

Blueberry 5 End of the Trail

Lt. Blueberry the Iron Horse

Lt. Blueberry Steel Fingers

Lt. Blueberry General Golden Mane

Marshall Blueberry: the Lost Dutchman's Mine

Some of the Marvel Conan GNs were hard to find, but I haven't gone looking for them in a while.

Is Gobbledygook comic size or semi-magazine size like the first four TMNT books?

Neither. There are good pictures that show the size in the thread that was just started about Motor City buying their former (and now current) employee's TMNT collection.

Dead Air (GN)

Graphique Musique

Bizzare Sex #9

Omaha Cat Dancer

Ninja High School #1-3

Speaking of Omaha you'd be amiss not to mention this rarity:

omaha-2-pocket-preview.jpg

I thought this preview didn't exist. Thanks for showing it.