• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Anyone know about the Truly Tasteless and Tacky #1? It has Hitler and Elvis on the cover, IIRC.

I guess I reread the thread title and it's not an 80's book, but would be curious.

Well, Mile High supposedly has one for sale (and pretty cheap too), but I wouldn't bet on it...

And for $48 more, they'll throw in this year's SDCC variant books, one per each $50 spent.

:ohnoez:

Anyone know about the Truly Tasteless and Tacky #1? It has Hitler and Elvis on the cover, IIRC.

I guess I reread the thread title and it's not an 80's book, but would be curious.

Well, Mile High supposedly has one for sale (and pretty cheap too), but I wouldn't bet on it...

And for $48 more, they'll throw in this year's SDCC variant books, one per each $50 spent.

:ohnoez:

You know you want one! :baiting:

Another rarity....

Ex-Mutants #1 Ashcan

is that the little one from Wizard?

I don't think so, Dan. Ex-Mutants came out in 1985.

Yes, this is a blue cover, ashcan sized, signed by Lim and the writer guy.

Came with a weird insert, which I have now lost, which said the inker is no longer with the book. Strange days...

There are a *few* Marvel/DCs that qualify (the aforementioned Amethyst 35s, for example), but they are a tiny handful.

Even the Stars are not terribly rare (and all the NU is downright common.)

Not rare perhaps, if we're just talking about total remaining copies in any grade, but certainly scarce compared to other books of the time. Finding the last few issues of series like Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and a few others have been a real bear if you're looking for NM+ copies. I've bought a dozen OO predominatly Copper collections in the last ten years and none have inlcuded runs of Star books, even though the owners would collect most every other drekky Marvel title.

Not disagreeing with you in any way.

But the Stars, even rare relatively, don't even come close to books like Albedo #0, Gobbledygook 1 & 2, 3D/2Ds, etc.

And leaving grade out of the discussion, they become downright common.

The Star Canadian Price Variants are tough in any grade. Someone mentioned RAW mags - #2 is especially tough as it contains the Maus insert which is, more often than not, missing or detached if accompanied with the book. From the Whitman's, the top 10 from the rares list, Black Hole 4, and the 75¢ Price Variants (especially the one shots like Bambi, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan).

Here are the 85-86 Charltons I could get my hands on. I have about 1/3 of a short box of them somewhere but . . .

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-17.jpg

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-15.jpg

Check out the delightful staple placement on this one . . . :P

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-18.jpg

How about these? I really have no clue, I'm just throwing them out there. Feel free to shoot me down if they aren't really hard to find. (shrug)

I bought these three books directly from Tim Vigil and David Quinn at the 1988 Chicago Comicon where they had a very small table selling their new books, Faust, Omega, and Northstar. The Faust and Omega show up from time to time, but I don't recall seeing the Northstar book much, if at all.

Vigil-1988.jpg

And here's my contribution to the 1984 Charltons: :grin:

Funny-Animals-Charlton-1984.jpg

How about these? I really have no clue, I'm just throwing them out there. Feel free to shoot me down if they aren't really hard to find. (shrug)

I bought these three books directly from Tim Vigil and David Quinn at the 1988 Chicago Comicon where they had a very small table selling their new books, Faust, Omega, and Northstar. The Faust and Omega show up from time to time, but I don't recall seeing the Northstar book much, if at all.

Vigil-1988.jpg

(worship)

Vigil-1988.jpg

doh! I forgot about Northstar #1. That is a hard comic to find.

That Faust is the limited edition, which is the 1st real appearance of the character before the regular issues were released.

I think there are only 500 copies of that issue.

That Faust is the limited edition, which is the 1st real appearance of the character before the regular issues were released.

Junky drek! :baiting:

I thought it was 1000?

Where is RMA when you actually need him? :insane:

There are a *few* Marvel/DCs that qualify (the aforementioned Amethyst 35s, for example), but they are a tiny handful.

Even the Stars are not terribly rare (and all the NU is downright common.)

Not rare perhaps, if we're just talking about total remaining copies in any grade, but certainly scarce compared to other books of the time. Finding the last few issues of series like Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and a few others have been a real bear if you're looking for NM+ copies. I've bought a dozen OO predominatly Copper collections in the last ten years and none have inlcuded runs of Star books, even though the owners would collect most every other drekky Marvel title.

Not disagreeing with you in any way.

But the Stars, even rare relatively, don't even come close to books like Albedo #0, Gobbledygook 1 & 2, 3D/2Ds, etc.

And leaving grade out of the discussion, they become downright common.

The Star Canadian Price Variants are tough in any grade. Someone mentioned RAW mags - #2 is especially tough as it contains the Maus insert which is, more often than not, missing or detached if accompanied with the book. From the Whitman's, the top 10 from the rares list, Black Hole 4, and the 75¢ Price Variants (especially the one shots like Bambi, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan).

I will certainly agree that the Star Canadian price editions are rare. They started out in a market that was 1/10th the size of the US to begin with, and Star comics didn't sell (too) well in the US. That gave them a double whammy.

I suspect that the Star Canadians are the toughest Canadians, barring some oddball one shots and minis (like the 1985 DC "Funny Stuff Sticking Stuffer #1" Christmas special, which may not even exist anymore.)

There's the leg.

lol

Dammit. I was even trying last night. Let's focus on the comics and not the zombie flesh . . .

If you would stop trying to photograph your comics in the nude, this wouldn't happen...