• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is just beyond Stupid! Westboro Baptist go to Comic-Con.

91 posts in this topic

I kind of like the idea of censoring free speech when it's deemed ludicrous or just inappropriately disrespectful, but who gets to decide?

I mean on the boards if you post a thread about Chuck dropping a deuce in San Diego while reading a Mile High book and posing the question of whether or not it degrades the value then a mod removes it...and rightfully so!!! But if I wanted to just carry around a placard or sign posing that very question outside the SDCC then it should be my right!

:-)

I kind of like the idea of censoring free speech when it's deemed ludicrous or just inappropriately disrespectful, but who gets to decide?

I mean on the boards if you post a thread about Chuck dropping a deuce in San Diego while reading a Mile High book and posing the question of whether or not it degrades the value then a mod removes it...and rightfully so!!! But if I wanted to just carry around a placard or sign posing that very question outside the SDCC then it should be my right!

I am not sure if it was these guys in particular but, approximately 5 months ago, there was a 'Christian' group that was going to funerals of those that died in Iraq and Afghanistan and protesting, calling the soldiers "murderers" and that they "deserved it"..I am not sure where to draw the line on free speech but, dude seriously...I don't know what to make of people instigating at a family's private funeral, be it military or not...it just doesn't seem ethical (whatever that means nowadays...)

Are these the same guys that wanted to protest in military funerals to "make a point"...

Yes they are. They did so at the memorial services of soldiers in my battery. Lowest of the absolute low.

And they do NOT in anyway represent the people of Kansas. Personally, if KS wasn't so far away from the east coast, my wife and I would have never left because the people were uncommonly friendly and easy going as one could hope for.

I am not sure if it was these guys in particular but, approximately 5 months ago, there was a 'Christian' group that was going to funerals of those that died in Iraq and Afghanistan and protesting, calling the soliders "murders" and that they "deserved it"..I am not sure where to draw the line on free speech but, dude seriously...I don't know what to make of people instigating at a family's private funeral, be it military or not...it just doesn't seem ethical (whatever that means nowadays...)

Probably the same group. They also carry signs that say "Thank God for IEDs" and other offensive things. You can watch a bit of them in Bill Mahr's movie Religulous. They are the lowest of low and the worst part is they brainwash their children into believing this crud also.

I am not sure if it was these guys in particular but, approximately 5 months ago, there was a 'Christian' group that was going to funerals of those that died in Iraq and Afghanistan and protesting, calling the soliders "murders" and that they "deserved it"..I am not sure where to draw the line on free speech but, dude seriously...I don't know what to make of people instigating at a family's private funeral, be it military or not...it just doesn't seem ethical (whatever that means nowadays...)

Probably the same group. They also carry signs that say "Thank God for IEDs" and other offensive things. You can watch a bit of them in Bill Mahr's movie Religulous. They are the lowest of low and the worst part is they brainwash their children into believing this crud also.

This is very sad. I know even in ancient Greek times people use to say this but, society is really deteriorating.

I don't like these people, I don't like their tactics, and I don't like what they have to say. However, if we limit their right to speak today, what happens to our right to speak tomorrow.

As the judge in the Skokie case said, “The ability of American society to tolerate the advocacy even of the hateful doctrines espoused by the plaintiffs without abandoning its commitment to freedom of speech and assembly is perhaps the best protection we have against the establishment of any Nazi-type regime in this country.”

I kind of like the idea of censoring free speech when it's deemed ludicrous or just inappropriately disrespectful

I don't. In fact, I think it's one off the worst ideas I have ever heard. Freedom of speech is one of the things that has made our coutry great and silencing viewpoints the majority disagree with, no matter how odious, is the first baby step towards tyranny. It wasn't an accident that our forefathers chose it as the first of their amendments.

Are these the same guys that wanted to protest in military funerals to "make a point"...

Yes they are. They did so at the memorial services of soldiers in my battery. Lowest of the absolute low.

And they do NOT in anyway represent the people of Kansas. Personally, if KS wasn't so far away from the east coast, my wife and I would have never left because the people were uncommonly friendly and easy going as one could hope for.

Sir! Sir! Point of Order!

I only joke on Kansas because I'm in Oklahoma and that's the "in" thing to do in the Big 12. Dump on the neighboring states. :baiting:

Actually, it seems the Supreme Court will. In October they will get the case.

The very short version:

2006 - Westboro protests at Marine' Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral

2007 - Snyder's father wins $11 million judgment against Rev. Phelps

2008 - Appeals judge upholds decision, reduces amount to $5 million

2009 - Federal appeals court says it is protected free speech and tosses out verdict.

2010 - Supreme Court agrees to hear appeal.

I kind of like the idea of censoring free speech when it's deemed ludicrous or just inappropriately disrespectful

I don't. In fact, I think it's one off the worst ideas I have ever heard. Freedom of speech is one of the things that has made our coutry great and silencing viewpoints the majority disagree with, no matter how odious, is the first baby step towards tyranny. It wasn't an accident that our forefathers chose it as the first of their amendments.

No right is absolute. Of course, the classic example is yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

Following this line of thinking, the courts have upheld bans on "hate speech." You couldn't gather outside of a black church carrying signs and screaming racial epithets -- you'd be arrested in a minute. I don't understand how this group's protests does not fall under the same umbrella as "hate speech" intended to incite violence.

(shrug)

No right is absolute. Of course, the classic example is yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire.

Following this line of thinking, the courts have upheld bans on "hate speech." You couldn't gather outside of a black church carrying signs and screaming racial epithets -- you'd be arrested in a minute. I don't understand how this group's protests does not fall under the same umbrella as "hate speech" intended to incite violence.

(shrug)

Isn't the doctrine you can't incite violence or call for violence against a group?

Calling names is a different thing.

(shrug)

Not sure where you get the "arrested in a minute" blurb, but Americans are free to protest wherever they are granted a permit. Not only that, but basing a pemit grant on the content of the protest has been struck down as unconstitutional. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course...

They didn't. Apparently they were 1000 feet away and out of sight and hearing distance. Disgusting? Yes. The same as yelling "fire" in a crowded theater? That's for the Supreme Court to decide. Obviously the issue is open to interpretation, though I personally prefer to err on the side of the First Amendment. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Mac! These people used to stand outside the student union at Kansas State back when I went there and tell us all how we were going to hell. It is humiliating to say the least that people associate these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with my state. Add in the state board of ed and the evolution controversy and it makes any one from Kansas appear to be a backward inbred :sick:

That means if I want free speech, my government says I have to be an arsonist.

Thanks Mac! These people used to stand outside the student union at Kansas State back when I went there and tell us all how we were going to hell. It is humiliating to say the least that people associate these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with my state. Add in the state board of ed and the evolution controversy and it makes any one from Kansas appear to be a backward inbred :sick:

So what kind of inbreds are you then?