• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Sixth Gun

5,597 posts in this topic

Found this on eBay.

This same seller is the one with the Revival Book plates (which are sold out).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sixth-Gun-Vol-4-2012-Softcover-EX-LIBRIS-CHALLENGERS-edition-/251194351615?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item3a7c599fff

I'll just bump my own post here. But these are very cool... Might sell out now.

Just curious, why is the regular release more sought after when the FCBD edition predates it by 2 months?

I think the answer lies in an earlier post here...

Issue 1 had a print run of just under 5k, but the most recent issue clocked in at just over 3k. :(

Low physical print runs. There just are not that many out there. I would not be at all surprised if the FCBD run is similar or more. Thing is if the actual first issue is a 5K run then it's just going to be a hard find for such a good read.

I would hazard a guess that the core of collectors out there couldn't give a damn about FCBD until they actually have a run of the first few arcs, like jjeanius said it is a suprisingly low print run. Previous conversations on here allude to ComiXology and TPB being a boost for it longer term.

Personally I really don't care about previews or variants when it comes to collecting. Can take em or leave em unless they have original content.

Well I love previews! Any chance you know what issue of Previews The Sixth Gun first appeared in?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/01/23/sixth-gun-tv-pilot/

Not seen it reported on Bleeding Cool yet... may rouse more interest if it gets another article there. I have a feeling that the news is only just spreading.

Great news Garf. Just waiting for that "shipped/safe" status...... :wishluck:

Not seen it reported on Bleeding Cool yet... may rouse more interest if it gets another article there. I have a feeling that the news is only just spreading.

Yes it is great news.

I am still part way through getting a second page :cloud9:

and... @MrWeen

For once your fascination with Previews has actually come up with something interesting. I can't say that I found which Issue it was that had the first mention of TSG in it but I did remember that Previewsworld did a great article in 2010 about TSG being part of FCBD. The interview was with both Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt. Anyway I checked the site out to see if there was anything new and was pleased to read this:

Full article - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=129328

It's the first comments I have seen from Cullen on what he anticipates will be happening at NBC (but I haven't looked everywhere so who knows).

Edited:

PREVIEWSworld: The historical detail for The Sixth Gun is quite intense. What resources do you guys consult to "get the look" for this book?

Cullen Bunn: You'll have to ask the artistic types what they use. They definitely go out of their way to make the world come alive in a realistic way. My take on the Old West is more "cinematic" than "historic," but I do research online to try to make things seem "real." I also have a set of old Time/Life Old West reference books that are fun for brainstorming!

Bill Crabtree: I reference a lot of landscape photographs to make Brian's environments have unique and accurate color palettes.

Brian Hurtt: My research mainly involved re-watching Deadwood (half-kidding). I also watched some documentaries and such but a majority of my research is done through old photos in books and on Google image search, honestly. I also love a website called shorpy.com which has a very rich library of high resolution old photos. This was especially handy when working on the New Orleans story arc.

But, more than anything, I'm relying on the visual language of American “pop” comics--hence the brighter colors and big sound effects—blended with a European sense of storytelling that I find a little more reserved--yet cinematic--and still “readable.” I want anyone, no matter if it's their first comic, to be able to pick it up and read it and understand the flow of the panels and the action and so forth.

PREVIEWSworld: Lost's Carlton Cuse is developing The Sixth Gun for NBC. How does this sit with you guys? Did you have creative input? Do you think the show will stay true to the book? Have you been privy to any preliminary discussions concerning the show?

Cullen Bunn: I couldn't be more thrilled that Carlton is working on this! I'm a big fan of Carlton's previous western The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., as well as Lost. Based on the conversations we've had, and the materials we've seen, the show will be true to the book. Obviously, there are some things that would need to change for a television adaptation, but the spirit of the work remains the same.

Bill Crabtree: I couldn't be more excited about this as Lost was my favorite show on television! I haven't had a lot of input on the developement of the show, but I've been very lucky to be included in the loop of discussions, -script drafts, etc. From all indications, the show seems to be following the comic version pretty faithfully, which is wonderful.

Brian Hurtt: I think we are all coming from the same place on this television development in that we are all very supportive of the approach that is being taken and excited about the prospect of seeing our work brought to life. The most encouraging aspect for me is the respect that those involved in the show have shown to the material. They all seem to be genuine fans of the book and just as excited as we are in telling the story of The Sixth Gun.

Both that and the FCBD article (this one - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=93867 ) answered a quite few things that I had wondered about.

Yes it is great news.

I am still part way through getting a second page :cloud9:

and... @MrWeen

For once your fascination with Previews has actually come up with something interesting. I can't say that I found which Issue it was that had the first mention of TSG in it but I did remember that Previewsworld did a great article in 2010 about TSG being part of FCBD. The interview was with both Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt. Anyway I checked the site out to see if there was anything new and was pleased to read this:

Full article - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=129328

It's the first comments I have seen from Cullen on what he anticipates will be happening at NBC (but I haven't looked everywhere so who knows).

Edited:

PREVIEWSworld: The historical detail for The Sixth Gun is quite intense. What resources do you guys consult to "get the look" for this book?

Cullen Bunn: You'll have to ask the artistic types what they use. They definitely go out of their way to make the world come alive in a realistic way. My take on the Old West is more "cinematic" than "historic," but I do research online to try to make things seem "real." I also have a set of old Time/Life Old West reference books that are fun for brainstorming!

Bill Crabtree: I reference a lot of landscape photographs to make Brian's environments have unique and accurate color palettes.

Brian Hurtt: My research mainly involved re-watching Deadwood (half-kidding). I also watched some documentaries and such but a majority of my research is done through old photos in books and on Google image search, honestly. I also love a website called shorpy.com which has a very rich library of high resolution old photos. This was especially handy when working on the New Orleans story arc.

But, more than anything, I'm relying on the visual language of American “pop” comics--hence the brighter colors and big sound effects—blended with a European sense of storytelling that I find a little more reserved--yet cinematic--and still “readable.” I want anyone, no matter if it's their first comic, to be able to pick it up and read it and understand the flow of the panels and the action and so forth.

PREVIEWSworld: Lost's Carlton Cuse is developing The Sixth Gun for NBC. How does this sit with you guys? Did you have creative input? Do you think the show will stay true to the book? Have you been privy to any preliminary discussions concerning the show?

Cullen Bunn: I couldn't be more thrilled that Carlton is working on this! I'm a big fan of Carlton's previous western The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., as well as Lost. Based on the conversations we've had, and the materials we've seen, the show will be true to the book. Obviously, there are some things that would need to change for a television adaptation, but the spirit of the work remains the same.

Bill Crabtree: I couldn't be more excited about this as Lost was my favorite show on television! I haven't had a lot of input on the developement of the show, but I've been very lucky to be included in the loop of discussions, -script drafts, etc. From all indications, the show seems to be following the comic version pretty faithfully, which is wonderful.

Brian Hurtt: I think we are all coming from the same place on this television development in that we are all very supportive of the approach that is being taken and excited about the prospect of seeing our work brought to life. The most encouraging aspect for me is the respect that those involved in the show have shown to the material. They all seem to be genuine fans of the book and just as excited as we are in telling the story of The Sixth Gun.

Both that and the FCBD article (this one - http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=93867 ) answered a quite few things that I had wondered about.

That's funny because my research turned up the same stuff! Great articles! I assume any mention or preview would be in a 2010 issue of previews, just not sure which one so I bought them all. One has a 3 page preview for Orc Stain so I'm sure I'll be pleased either way!

Just curious, why is the regular release more sought after when the FCBD edition predates it by 2 months?

I think the answer lies in an earlier post here...

Issue 1 had a print run of just under 5k, but the most recent issue clocked in at just over 3k. :(

Low physical print runs. There just are not that many out there. I would not be at all surprised if the FCBD run is similar or more. Thing is if the actual first issue is a 5K run then it's just going to be a hard find for such a good read.

I would hazard a guess that the core of collectors out there couldn't give a damn about FCBD until they actually have a run of the first few arcs, like jjeanius said it is a suprisingly low print run. Previous conversations on here allude to ComiXology and TPB being a boost for it longer term.

Personally I really don't care about previews or variants when it comes to collecting. Can take em or leave em unless they have original content.

Well I love previews! Any chance you know what issue of Previews The Sixth Gun first appeared in?

I am kinda resenting the fact that now that this book has become hot most are disregarding the FCBD edition thinking that it is not a first print or a mere preview. I respect the fact that the regular edition may have a smaller print run than the FCBD ed (also gets help for having arguably the better cover) and therefore warrant a higher second market price but for all intensive purposes the regular edition is the reprint. All of the original content of the 1st issue was contained in the FCBD ed first then was repackaged months later as the regular release to enable purchasing by people who missed picking it up as a free comic. It is good that it is now also receiving some heat. I hope more people do not sleep on the importance of that edition.

wonder what issue is the cutoff for investing in these, all of them seem hard to find.

Now that is a burning question. We can all crystal ball gaze... as far as shows go you have to admit on paper it looks good if not great so far.

- Showrunner from Lost which had its time as the most popular US show going.

- Showrunner who has previous Western (even Western Mash-up if you count the gadget/gizmo element) experience with Brisco County Jr.

- Prime time channel that has other shows with related elements e.g. the monster SFX in Grimm.

- Apparently sticking to the core themes and story in TSG.

- Ultra low print runs.

- It's actually a good read with good art and has enough issues behind it to find that out for yourself rather than take someone's word for it.

I am left wondering at the format though. If the pilot does well I would love to see it done over several small seasons e.g. 6 episode seasons, perhaps with lengthier than normal episodes.

Your call... it could fall completely flat... but it has more elements together already to potentially hit it very big than a lot of other hyped properties out there.