• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4 Extremely Undervalued because its a #4 not a #1

160 posts in this topic

At the prices the book was selling at earlier this year I think the book was overpriced for what it is and its scarcity. Prices seem to have come down a bit now but there's always the bargain basement 9.2 signed by Stan "The Man" Lee on Clink that you can buy for $22K.
Im sure the OP is well aware of that listing ;)

Im in the overpriced crowd. Not a true first appearance, not a hard book to find in any grade. Heck Caps orginal title ended in what '55? IMO a 9 year absence does not a key make. Cool book but a very minor key in my eyes.

It's a key, no doubt...but as Mac Man said above, it's in the second tier of keys behind the big boys of the SA:

AF#15

FF#1

Hulk#1

TOS#39

JIM#83

Would you rate AV#4 above other second tier keys like Daredevil #1, Strange Tales #110, TTA#27?

Yeah, but it was March of 64, so still not terribly long after the whole shabang.

It was long enough to make a significant in scarcity/availability!

Sorry, the text is failing me here. Are you saying it (Avengers 4) is more or less scarce than the big boys?

And FWIW, I do see this book moving up the rankings if the following Avengers movies are of the same caliber as the Iron Man films. In THAT event, we might see this books pick up some nice steam and even if they do settle back down, they'll end up higher than before.

Interestingly, ToS 39 is still going strong.

It's a key, no doubt...but as Mac Man said above, it's in the second tier of keys behind the big boys of the SA:

AF#15

FF#1

Hulk#1

TOS#39

JIM#83

Would you rate AV#4 above other second tier keys like Daredevil #1, Strange Tales #110, TTA#27?

I would rank X-Men #1,Daredevil #1 as first tier books along with the five you have listed.

Don't get me wrong: I love Avengers 4, but there's no way I'd put it on the same level of as any of the mega keys like AF 15, ToS 39, FF 1, JIM 83, ASM 1, etc. It isn't a proper 1st appearance and it isn't the beginning of a new title. It's a reappearance issue of a character who was simply absent for a number of years.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Avengers #4 is later (1964) in the Marvel Age of Comics compared to the others mentioned above (1962/early '63)

Yeah Avenger 4 is 1964 but what about DD#1 he's part of that mix too. Str Tales 110 is not even close, Dr Strange could only command a straight to dvd cartoon release. Not a hi budget 3D movie like Cap.

I would put Avengers #1,AV #4,TTA #27,Strange Tales #110 and yes Amazing Spider-Man #1 as second tier books.Thoughts

The market and myself part ways with you on this point. It takes a lot of flack for being Spider-Man's 2nd appearance but it has consistently been the flagship for Marvel, the first x-over with the FF making an appearance, does include the 1st appearance one of Spideys most significant villiains (JJJ) and well, the list goes on and on.

While it might not have the pizazz of a hero's 1st appearance, this is the spiritual equivalent of Superman 1 for the Silver Age.

Don't get me wrong: I love Avengers 4, but there's no way I'd put it on the same level of as any of the mega keys like AF 15, ToS 39, FF 1, JIM 83, ASM 1, etc. It isn't a proper 1st appearance and it isn't the beginning of a new title. It's a reappearance issue of a character who was simply absent for a number of years.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Avengers #4 is later (1964) in the Marvel Age of Comics compared to the others mentioned above (1962/early '63)

Yeah Avenger 4 is 1964 but what about DD#1 he's part of that mix too. Str Tales 110 is not even close, Dr Strange could only command a straight to dvd cartoon release. Not a hi budget 3D movie like Cap.

:gossip: They're already shopping around for directors and writers for a Dr. Strange movie.

I would put Avengers #1,AV #4,TTA #27,Strange Tales #110 and yes Amazing Spider-Man #1 as second tier books.Thoughts

The market and myself part ways with you on this point. It takes a lot of flack for being Spider-Man's 2nd appearance but it has consistently been the flagship for Marvel, the first x-over with the FF making an appearance, does include the 1st appearance one of Spideys most significant villiains (JJJ) and well, the list goes on and on.

While it might not have the pizazz of a hero's 1st appearance, this is the spiritual equivalent of Superman 1 for the Silver Age.

Very true,but do you think it would command(not dollar wise)but the significance of the Big books.

Now I'm on the fence with this one,you do make very valid points.

did'nt we do this already...? lol

Yes we did. And I'll make the same thing out again -- first appearances are important, but as far as the SA is concerned, Avengers 4 IS Cap's first appearance.

In terms of impact on the Marvel U, up until recently, Iron Man's significance, at least in my mind, was not nearly as important as Cap's. Outside of the alcohol run, his book stunk. IM 1 was available and quantity, and while TOS 39 was a good book, it was generally a 2nd tier book. Now, because of the movie, everyone wants it.

In terms of scarcity, Avengers 4 is a relatively common book. With all the copies slabbed, it's sort of amazing it commands the prices it DOES command -- why, because the demand is there to support it.

I'm not sure when Thor and Iron Man became more important books, and I think this stuff regarding their first appearances as "bigger first tier keys" than Avengers 4 completely ignores the history of the Marvel Universe as its developed over the last (nearly) 50 years.

ASM 1, AF 15, FF 1, Hulk 1 are all first tiers. I'd simply expand the first tier to include Av. 1, TOS 39, JIM 83 and there are probably a few others.

AF#15

FF#1

Hulk#1

TOS#39

JIM#83

Below all of them. Ive always wondered why people even care about 'first SA appearance of xxxxx'

Avengers #4 ($4.2K in 9.2) is extremely undervalued because its a #4 not a #1.Captain America is the leader of the Avengers but why does he take a backseat pricewise to Thor (JIM83-$26K) and Iron Man (TOS39-$20K). Cap is the leader of Avengers and wears the USA costume yet he even loses out to Daredevil ($7.5K). Afterall Avengers 4 was released in 1964 not 1968.

If Cap appeared in Avengers #1 on the cover and story then Avengers 1 would be worth 35K in the new guide at 9.2 agree anyone?

Did you actually breakdown and buy an OSPG?

hm

Nevermind let me look that up for you...... says here 4.00

That sucks, maybe you should sell those copies you have to me... seems it can only go lower :makepoint:

AF#15

FF#1

Hulk#1

TOS#39

JIM#83

Below all of them. Ive always wondered why people even care about 'first SA appearance of xxxxx'

then we can get into argument about Flash and GL they started in Golden age. We're talkin Silver Age relevance only.