• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4 Extremely Undervalued because its a #4 not a #1

160 posts in this topic

I would put Avengers #1,AV #4,TTA #27,Strange Tales #110 and yes Amazing Spider-Man #1 as second tier books.Thoughts

And FF4?

There is no way X-Men 1 and ASM 1 are not first tier books. X-Men 1 has had a relative deluge of 9.4 copies (4) hit the market in the last 10 months and it held its value. ASM 1 is also a 100K book. These two are the flagships of the Marvel name and have made Marvel #1. X-Men ruled the comic world from 1975-1990. Spidey ruled from there over the next decade. until 4 years ago, half of the world did not know who Thor and Iron Man were.

I have one for sale on e-bay no reserve at CGC 9.2. the high bid is currently $5200. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300447419946&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154 Terry O.

I certainly hope you get much more than $5,200. That book should be at least 8k...according to GPA.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya. :wishluck:

The auction ended at $7250....lower than I expected.

Keep in mind, July and August has always been the worst months (December also) to sell anything on Ebay.....I used to deal with toys in the early days of Ebay and it was that way even back then. People are busy with vacations, doing outdoor things....Not sitting on the computer waiting for auctions to end..

Plus, I have looked at a bunch of Avengers 4 books, and the white pages is really tough....Lots of cr/ow or ow copies out there....So glad I bit the bullet and grabbed my white pager !

I have one for sale on e-bay no reserve at CGC 9.2. the high bid is currently $5200. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300447419946&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154 Terry O.

I certainly hope you get much more than $5,200. That book should be at least 8k...according to GPA.

Keep in mind, July and August has always been the worst months (December also) to sell anything on Ebay.....I used to deal with toys in the early days of Ebay and it was that way even back then. People are busy with vacations, doing outdoor things....Not sitting on the computer waiting for auctions to end..

Plus, I have looked at a bunch of Avengers 4 books, and the white pages is really tough....Lots of cr/ow or ow copies out there....So glad I bit the bullet and grabbed my white pager !

Summers are slower than normal- Winter in Jan/Feb is best- when the snow is falling everyone is inside bidding.

did you grab the 9.2 white pager on CL in June? if so, that is a great book and even a greater deal.

any Avengers 4 CGC 9.2 under 10K is a steal in my opinion. When the movie hits these will explode like the 4th of July. In fact all Avengers 4 and Cap 100s.

I've had the opportunity to own all of the Marvel Silverage keys throughout the years and I suppose it was due to the desire to actually own them: Spidey 1, FF 1, JIM 83, TOS 1, Hulk 1, AF 15, TOS 39, etc.

BUT, I've never had the desire to own Avengers #4, and as much as a few folks are hyping it on this thread, its nowhere near as significant as the aforementioned books and its price is in part a reflection of that. 2c

any Avengers 4 CGC 9.2 under 10K is a steal in my opinion. When the movie hits these will explode like the 4th of July. In fact all Avengers 4 and Cap 100s.

I've had the opportunity to own all of the Marvel Silverage keys throughout the years and I suppose it was due to the desire to actually own them: Spidey 1, FF 1, JIM 83, TOS 1, Hulk 1, AF 15, TOS 39, etc.

BUT, I've never had the desire to own Avengers #4, and as much as a few folks are hyping it on this thread, its nowhere near as significant as the aforementioned books and its price is in part a reflection of that. 2c

I agree with this...and I believe it applies to the past. In some ways with the new Cap movie coming out and Avengers movie...it's a new ballgame on AV4. It's just such a superior cover to TOS39, JIM83 even Spidey 1 plus the story is significant. With that said, I believe it's value and demand will continue to increase over the years but it will slow down considerable after the movie hype is over.

Go hype machine go! :roflmao:

Hey, I think Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) should be a 5 or 6 figure book in high grade. It's rare, has the first Marvel Age superhero in it and eventually is the title that morphs into AF #15. It's just that very few other people agree with me that it isn't.

:insane:

Hey, I think Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) should be a 5 or 6 figure book in high grade. It's rare, has the first Marvel Age superhero in it and eventually is the title that morphs into AF #15. It's just that very few other people agree with me that it isn't.

I agree with you roy, in fact i think if a 9.2 or higher were certified and auctioned it would hit 5 figs. I still miss my 6.0.

I also think youd have to be smoking crack to think anything under 10k is a steal for an Avengers 4 9.2 when no 9.2 had sold for 5k prior to 2008 and only one copy has sold for exactly 10k with none higher(minus tha link sales which i didnt check). But then again youd have to be smoking crack to price a 9.2SS copy at 22K and start a thread to hype it. So i guess all the pieces fit.

I agree with you roy, in fact i think if a 9.2 or higher were certified and auctioned it would hit 5 figs. I still miss my 6.0.

I also think youd have to be smoking crack to think anything under 10k is a steal for an Avengers 4 9.2 when no 9.2 had sold for 5k prior to 2008 and only one copy has sold for exactly 10k with none higher(minus tha link sales which i didnt check). But then again youd have to be smoking crack to price a 9.2SS copy at 22K and start a thread to hype it. So i guess all the pieces fit.

Now, now. Play nice. Oh wait, you're a hulk fan. Smash nice. That work? :grin:

Despite some obvious "hype" getting pushed here, I do think there are some valid points brought up in this thread about where Avengers 4 falls in relation to other SA Marvel keys (thumbs u

For #4, I would just say read the thread as I think it's pretty well discussed. (thumbs u

Avengers 1 doesn't really have any first appearances, it isn't the first superhero group in general, nor is it the first Marvel superhero group. The only thing it really has to set itself apart as a key is the first appearance of the Avengers--a popular series that is still continued today. That's not to knock the book or the title by any means, but it just doesn't have as much going for it as other SA Marvel keys.

If it had better PQ, it would have probably ended above $10K.

The market has plateaued a bit on the Av 4 craze, much like it did with AF #15. It went up too far, too fast. That's not to say that the book doesn't have a lot of inherent value. It's a terrific book.

I'm sure it will rebound.

PQ definitely hurt this copy. This new market we live in is very sensitive to PQ and cover appearance.

This PQ sensitivity is a brand new phenomenon that didn't exist before CGC.

Now, before you head for the pitchforks and torches, listen a minute...

Granted, back in the olden days, folks didn't want tan pages, or brown pages, or brittle pages, or (worst of all three) pages so brittle and tanned they were GREY, and looking at them sharply would break pieces off.

AND...for books that were SNOW white, there was obviously a premium, as those books were and are quite rare. Observing snow white pages on any pre-1975 book is really a treat, and deserving of the premium it brought.

BUT...

A book that would get an off-white designation today (I'm speaking of Silver and earlier) is worth considerably less than a "white" page designation, when such distinctions literally meant nothing prior to CGC...? And when there is ZERO distinction between a snow white page quality versus a "typical" white page quality designation...?

Makes little sense.

Now, now. Play nice. Oh wait, you're a hulk fan. Smash nice. That work? :grin:

:sorry::sumo:

If you're in the broke league I can understand your frustration. Thinking in the past does not get you ahead in life . You've got to move on -Amazing Fantasy 15 is not a $15 dollar book anymore that was so 70's.

If you're in the broke league I can understand your frustration. Thinking in the past does not get you ahead in life . You've got to move on -Amazing Fantasy 15 is not a $15 dollar book anymore that was so 70's.

Fantasy #15 stopped being a $15 book round about 1967.....

It has nothing to do with someone being in a "broke league." Looking at past performance as an indicator of future performance is a pretty standard practice. I just think some of us aren't as enthusiastically aggressive as you when it comes to looking at a book and gauging its value. You're certainly welcome to that approach by all means, but I think based on the responses thus far, you probably aren't selling too many board members on that approach.

:foryou: