• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a "D" copy?

137 posts in this topic

a pedigree book from the Dave Crippen collection.

most of the books i believe have a "D" in pencil on the FC but some othes dont.

that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject :sorry:

Thanks for trying to help :)
He did a pretty good job trying! :baiting:

When the first batch of books came to the market, nothing was known about the OO. Since the books from this collection had a "D" on the cover, they were christened "D copies". It wasn't until many years later that people found out the books were owned by Davis Crippen, and now they're referred to as "Crippen copies"

not all D-copy books are pedigree. I have a buncha water stained, moldy books from the Crippen collection, and even one that someone took a highlighter to. bid/buy w/ caution.

Thanks for trying to help :)
He did a pretty good job trying! :baiting:
lol

Do some reading on the subject. It's an interesting story.

Apparently the early part of the "D" collection was stolen from the owner's house in Montreal while it was under renovation. Allegedly, the construction workers were stealing these books and selling them to Metro (Metro had no reason to suspect anything at the time) and they were coming to market in small batches.

Years later when Crippen passed away the rest of the collection came to market and the pieces came together (as the markings were recognizable and now the early books could be traced back to this owner).

I remember all the talk of this big collection being found in Montreal...there was quite a buzz and it was in the local papers.

Anyhow, a pretty good sized collection that did have some problems with foxing but besides that pretty impressive.

The Crippen collection is amazing in its depth, some 13,000 books. If you're looking to buy one, be sure to check the book out thoroughly as the later batch of books may have issues with foxing or tanning. It was an unfortunate product of improper storage

The Crippen collection is amazing in its depth, some 13,000 books. If you're looking to buy one, be sure to check the book out thoroughly as the later batch of books may have issues with foxing or tanning. It was an unfortunate product of improper storage
Thanks for the info :)