• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a "D" copy?

137 posts in this topic

Do some reading on the subject. It's an interesting story.

Apparently the early part of the "D" collection was stolen from the owner's house in Montreal while it was under renovation. Allegedly, the construction workers were stealing these books and selling them to Metro (Metro had no reason to suspect anything at the time) and they were coming to market in small batches.

Years later when Crippen passed away the rest of the collection came to market and the pieces came together (as the markings were recognizable and now the early books could be traced back to this owner).

I remember all the talk of this big collection being found in Montreal...there was quite a buzz and it was in the local papers.

Anyhow, a pretty good sized collection that did have some problems with foxing but besides that pretty impressive.

Wow,I didn't know that :o

here are examples of the original hoard, before cgc [or any of us] knew about davis crippen, and the label simply said "d copy," and a typical crippen label from the big release of books.

rd9.jpg

spaceman.jpg

That is actually my most plentiful pedigree. Many of my America's Best Comics are Crippens.

I'm not sure if this one was from the batch that was stolen or not. I got it off of either Heritage or Clink some time ago. Label just notes "D" Copy compared to an ABC and a BB.

allgoodcomics.jpg

ab10.jpg

bb.jpg

That is actually my most plentiful pedigree. Many of my America's Best Comics are Crippens.

I'm not sure if this one was from the batch that was stolen or not. I got it off of either Heritage or Clink some time ago. Label just notes "D" Copy compared to an ABC and a BB.

There's a clean break in the naming of the pedigree, so anything labeled "D" copy is one of the books Metro bought. Even beyond that the Crippen books were marketed as such, and the OO was named, well after CGC moved to the new labels.