• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a "D" copy?

137 posts in this topic

BTW, do any of you Action Comics collectors know if the story has been reprinted? I know the first appearance of the collector was reprinted in Superman 193 in the mid-sixties. AlthoughI've read the story a couple of times before having the book slabbed, it'd be great to read it again.

Thanks,

SLR

BTW, do any of you Action Comics collectors know if the story has been reprinted? I know the first appearance of the collector was reprinted in Superman 193 in the mid-sixties. AlthoughI've read the story a couple of times before having the book slabbed, it'd be great to read it again.

Thanks,

SLR

comics.org is good about listing where stuff has been reprinted. The Action 80 Supes story was reprinted...

in Superman (DC, 1939 series) #272 (February 1974)

in Superman: The Action Comics Archives (DC, 1997 series) #5 (2007)

These are the original "D" Copy's (Davis Crippen's) that I brought back in 96 when the first batch of the collection came to the market.

d-1.jpg

These are the from the second batch from Heritage that came to the market in 06. I brought these between 06-present.

d-2.jpg

d-3-1.jpg

Awesome books :applause:

These are the original "D" Copy's (Davis Crippen's) that I brought back in 96 when the first batch of the collection came to the market.

d-1.jpg

These are the from the second batch from Heritage that came to the market in 06. I brought these between 06-present.

d-2.jpg

d-3-1.jpg

+1

Wish I got in on those early ones. They look really nice. I did get lucky and get a few D copies from the Heritage auction in 06. This one being my favourite. I've posted before but figured I may as well post it again. Took me a long time to find and was lucky to get it cheap (what I thought was cheap) on heritage.

Killers2.jpg

I found this WW #12 and thought it might possibly be a "D" copy (see "D" in pencil upper right cover).

CGC said that "our pedigree expert confirmed that we have already graded a copy of that issue as the "D" copy,

so he does not believe that yours could possibly receive the pedigree"

(the operative word being believe)

I have never been able to find any records of another WW #12 "D" copy being sold,

so (being stubborn) I still hold out hope that it might be one.

Someday I'll re-sub it to find out for sure.

ww12Df.jpg

I found this WW #12 and thought it might possibly be a "D" copy (see "D" in pencil upper right cover).

CGC said that "our pedigree expert confirmed that we have already graded a copy of that issue as the "D" copy,

I have never been able to find any records of another WW #12 "D" copy being sold,

ww12Df.jpg

CGC is careful so it's likely that they have certified a copy with the owner's number scheme penciled on the splash page, making it extremely unlikely that is the D copy.

Yep I know, however I will not be happy unless I know for certain. Old slab, stolen books that may have contained a dupe.

There's also what looks like writing showing through over the word "spring". Is it the owners serial numbers?

d-1.jpg

d-2.jpg

d-3-1.jpg

+1

Wish I got in on those early ones. They look really nice. I did get lucky and get a few D copies from the Heritage auction in 06. This one being my favourite. I've posted before but figured I may as well post it again. Took me a long time to find and was lucky to get it cheap (what I thought was cheap) on heritage.

Killers2.jpg

Cool book. :applause: I almost didn't get in on the early ones. By early 96 I had grown tired of Metro's customer service, at the time the only dealer that had "D" books were Metro. But my luck changed on a rainy NYC afternoon in early May of 96. :grin: It was because of the "D" books that the main focus of my collecting since 96 have been in GA. It was also one of the reason I stopped buying Moderns and the "D" books were the first Pedigree comic books I've ever owned.

ww12Df.jpg

You should crack the book out and see if there's a code written on the top right corner of the first page, like these:

DSCN0255.jpg

DSCN0257.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

"D" books from this period would usually have these codes.

Well, this is an informative thread. All I can say is... Mr. Crippen had good taste in the books he had. You guys/gals make me drool over the nice looking books! (worship) (worship)

Maybe one day I'll have my own collection of "D" books! :wishluck: