• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shang Hi-ed to San Diego!

42 posts in this topic

I've just got to tell this story here. Please indulge me.

Last Tuesday morning, after our early paper route and as I was mentally preparing for my real job later that day, my wife Karen told me we had to take her friend Vicky to the airport. Vicky hates to fly, and it would take both of us to get her on the plane. So there I was, hanging back from the check-in counter, as per Karen's instructions. (At 6:30 AM I don't think, I just obey) She waves me up, and I show my ID. She then turns to me and says, "Ready to go on vacation?" She was serious, to my astonishment, and an hour or so later, We were winging our way to our first ever San Diego ComicCon.

My bride had spent the last ten months preparing that surprise. I was pole-axed. I was completely flabbergasted. She had thought of everything. Vicky's bags were of course filled with our stuff. Almost everyone I knew was in on it. She arranged everything with my work well in advance, and then had to do it all over again with a new store because I changed jobs. Nobody leaked a clue. She had back ups in place for unanticipated variables. The details are too meticulous to cite here, just believe me when I say she's good, folks.

At the con, we saw everything we wanted to see, and it's all amazing. I got some good stuff bought, too. Harley sold me a Boy Commandos #2, J. Graham a #3, Superworld dug up a nice JIM #52 for me (!), and I think the National #16 came from Dan Fogel's booth.

A really great time, and, considering that she doesn't like comics herself, an even better wife.

when you and your wife told me that story, I was most impressed!!!!

:applause:

So - how are you going to repay her?

That's the question. My problem is, in all our time together, I have never been able to surprise her with anything. It's not that she's a snoop (she's really not), she's just smart. Plus, her lie detector is world class.

And sometimes, fate just conspires against me. I once bought her a piece of jewelry for Christmas. We had agreed not to look at any receipts that might be in the house (it's our policy to keep receipts) for obvious reasons. Snag is, we have a cat that likes to fetch. When Spaulding wants to play, he finds a scrap of paper and brings it to you. He wants you to wad it up and throw it. Of course, you have to make sure the paper isn't important first, so you look at it. Guess which receipt Spaulding brought to his mommy. The cat digs the jewelry stub out of my hiding place, and Karen gets no surprise once again.

I think I'm screwed.

Great Stuff and what a cool story. . .My wife is super cool and collects Dells and Gold Keys herself (shameless plug here. . .I am always on the look out for Monkees (yeah the band) comics for her by the way.) but she cannot keep a secret. . .

What a great story. The amount of planning and preparation to pull this off is amazing not to mention her talent for deception. She is one heck of a woman. :cloud9:

I have thought of a great way to make this up to her.........

Surpise her with a wonderful trip to SDCC next year :acclaim:

Great story and a wonderful wife.

You'll will have to work extra hard to find a way to return the favor. I'm sure with a little creativity and a lot of preparation you can come up with something that even the cat can't ruin. lol