• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Big mad fan here, trying to put together a 9.0 Average CGC set from 1 to the current issue. have about 174 right now slabbed, what a job this has become. Also collect mad issues signed by significant people on the cover. This is my recent find and hope I can get CGC to encapsulate it even with a no grade, but we'll see.

larry_zps6b3be812.jpg

Really cool signed item, there. R.I.P. Larry Hagman.

As a kid, MAD was the very first thing I started collecting. I think it's probably because they didn't sell any other comics at our corner grocery store, just magazines. The first one I bought off the rack was #182 and I was SOOOOO proud of it. I wouldn't let anyone touch it. I continued buying new issues for years and learned about back issues from my dad. As a gift, he bought me a VG copy of #34; it was the crown jewel of my collection.

On a family road-trip vacation, (ca 1978) we wandered into an antique store. He noticed a small pile of comics. In it was MAD #6. They wanted $40 for it. There was no way I could come up with that kind of $$ so I asked my dad if I could borrow the money. Instead, he bought it for himself. He didn't mean to be cruel, I'm sure, but it made me absolutely crazy. For years, I asked if I could have it. Once I got a job, I asked if I could buy it. Eventually, he gave in and let me buy it for the original $40 he paid, sometime around 1981, I think. In 1982, there was a massive flood and nearly everything I owned washed away, including, by that time, an awesome collection of 60's marvels and dc's.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted to get those old mads again. I've decided to start with 1-23 but the first thing I wanted to do was find a nice copy of the #6 that meant everything to me as a kid. It's been tricky to find a copy at a price I can manage, so I've started with this:

0102131201461_zpsf0d501b0.jpg

I'd love to find a higher grade copy but this is actually pretty close to my original one. I'll never let it go. :)

Edited by Jiri

As a kid, MAD was the very first thing I started collecting. I think it's probably because they didn't sell any other comics at our corner grocery store, just magazines. The first one I bought off the rack was #182 and I was SOOOOO proud of it. I wouldn't let anyone touch it. I continued buying new issues for years and learned about back issues from my dad. As a gift, he bought me a VG copy of #34; it was the crown jewel of my collection.

On a family road-trip vacation, (ca 1978) we wandered into an antique store. He noticed a small pile of comics. In it was MAD #6. They wanted $40 for it. There was no way I could come up with that kind of $$ so I asked my dad if I could borrow the money. Instead, he bought it for himself. He didn't mean to be cruel, I'm sure, but it made me absolutely crazy. For years, I asked if I could have it. Once I got a job, I asked if I could buy it. Eventually, he gave in and let me buy it for the original $40 he paid, sometime around 1981, I think. In 1982, there was a massive flood and nearly everything I owned washed away, including, by that time, an awesome collection of 60's marvels and dc's.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted to get those old mads again. I've decided to start with 1-23 but the first thing I wanted to do was find a nice copy of the #6 that meant everything to me as a kid. It's been tricky to find a copy at a price I can manage, so I've started with this:

0102131201461_zpsf0d501b0.jpg

I'd love to find a higher grade copy but this is actually pretty close to my original one. I'll never let it go. :)

Jiri

Great story. And a wonderful book :applause:

In 1982, there was a massive flood and nearly everything I owned washed away, including, by that time, an awesome collection of 60's marvels and dc's.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

:o

Great story otherwise.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

I was just shoring up my Mad "specials" collection -- such as it is. This is a work in progress for sure, especially since I am on-and-off about trying to complete it. Sometimes several months go by and I haven't even looked for the Specials that I need to fill gaps in the runs.

It's fairly easy to get a full run of the regular Mad issues (with the exception of the early comics but even those are not hard to find, they're just more expensive.) Getting the special issues -- WITH the bonuses complete -- is more tricky and takes some patience. Even though the specials are mostly reprint materials, the bonuses are original and often some very inspired artwork by Mad's best artists. There are also original records and whatnot. And occasionally the Specials contain original cartoon material that for whatever reason didn't run in the regular issues.

Recently I filled a few gaps and have been organizing. (Shout out to boardie Ed Owens as one of the best sellers in the forums....) Here's what I've got so far. (See images)

Earliest specials are the "Trash," "Worst," and "Follies." These are the toughest. Probably THE toughest is More Trash #8 which I was lucky enough to obtain early on (its bonus is the full-size Alfred E. Neuman poster -- apparently a lot of kids' rooms and dorms ended up with this as decoration). The Specials are easier but still have some challenges.

STILL LOOKING FOR:

More Trash #3

More Trash #7

More Trash #9

More Trash #10 (with all stickers)

Worst From #3

Worst From #6

Worst From #7

Worst From #9 (filler but need one with the bonus record)

Worst From #10

Worst From #11

Follies #1 -- (filler with part of bonus missing)

Follies #3

Special #11 (have filler but need one with archie bunker record attached)

146557.jpg.2d91c753a017edb1bb009248720284bb.jpg

146558.jpg.a21b88520bd980d0fcbad167b5742e6e.jpg

146559.jpg.fbaa6a7722d61d60a7db887994d90cba.jpg

146560.jpg.97f9147706a2e6d0857c2fb8c5165314.jpg

Pics of the "Specials" and "Super Specials" --

I almost have a full run of these. When it gets into the early '80s, they stopped numbering the specials and I don't think they put much effort into including bonuses either (though some of the record inserts get very inspired, with "Super Spectacular Day" being a favorite). That's roughly where my interest wanes on collecting them.

146561.jpg.ba5a4581274b9d5125efb436d026918f.jpg

146562.jpg.2f5846d2673f93d4293ad61aac5e4388.jpg

146563.jpg.76b24d027ce1b33e792140eeb9f0fb7f.jpg

Last but not least.... I was lucky enough to obtain Al Jaffee's original artwork for the bonus "voodoo doll" in the Fall 1970 Mad Special.

This is the first "special"-titled special issue, and the first bonus for such. So it's pretty cool to have the Jaffee bonus original artwork. I haven't figured out how to get it framed though -- it's still set up for printing.

146564.jpg.feb87b6bdaca4ebd2bb88d48a60b24c3.jpg

Last but not least.... I was lucky enough to obtain Al Jaffee's original artwork for the bonus "voodoo doll" in the Fall 1970 Mad Special.

This is the first "special"-titled special issue, and the first bonus for such. So it's pretty cool to have the Jaffee bonus original artwork. I haven't figured out how to get it framed though -- it's still set up for printing.

That is a great item. Thanks for sharing!

I was just shoring up my Mad "specials" collection -- such as it is.

Here's what I've got so far. (See images)

Earliest specials are the "Trash," "Worst," and "Follies." These are the toughest.

146558.jpg

146559.jpg

146560.jpg

Oh man, fabulous collection!

(thumbs u

The ones I personally want the most are from the 1965-66 years because I bought a couple of those taking the 'Hound to boarding school in Kennebunkport, Maine and back.

Which of these magazines was published in the fall of 1965 and had sheets of perforated stickers as its insert?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Oh man, fabulous collection! (thumbs u

The ones I personally want the most are from the 1965-66 years because I bought a couple of those taking the 'Hound to boarding school in Kennebunkport, Maine and back. Which of these magazines was published in the fall of 1965 and had sheets of perforated stickers as its insert? ???

Thanks! Cool that you want to track down issues associated with a specific memory... A quick search suggests it's probably Mad Follies #3 from 1965. There's also More Trash #7 (1964) and More Trash #9 (1966). See attached and tell me if one of these covers looks familiar:

146617.jpg.6c46f85edee0fe07966123bffa0779ec.jpg

146618.jpg.eed21c753ae011066981f3412b01d39d.jpg