• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Not a 'MAD' fan tbh - but I did pick up a big box full in an estate sale last week.

All Australian Mads, and Super-specials. Very Australian-centric (obviously) so highly doubtful if there would be much interest outside Australia.

That's cool! I like the Australian Mads, but they have a lot of crossover with U.S. Mads, which isn't a bad thing, just not as alluring for collecting. Though it does look like one or two of the covers in your group might be Australian originals.

If you guys haven't checked it out yet, there is a thread in the Golden Age section entitled "My 50 year junk obsession". The OP has started showing off some of his non-magazine Mad-related items (starts on pg. 83). It's a great thread from start to finish if you like seeing pop culture items of all types, but I thought the Mad stuff would be appreciated by this crowd.

Thanks for reminding me. That guy's collection is the kind of thing where I look at it and think, "I might as well give up," since these days, it would be nearly impossible to build a collection that great.

I love the Mad Kid (pre "Alfred E. Neuman") full-size picture he has.

Awe gee guys you're making me blush. Yeah I have been at it a long time but I do a lot of "leg work" to find it. You have to think out of the box and hit flea markets, antique stores and estate sales. A lot of good stuff turns up there. A lot less competition too. Some of my best stuff are flea market finds. It doesn't happen all the time but you have to be consistent.

Keep checking my Junk thread. I don't look over here too much. Go post over there with your requests. I will see what I can dig up. If I don't get any interest, I just post something else that people want to see.

Not a 'MAD' fan tbh - but I did pick up a big box full in an estate sale last week.

All Australian Mads, and Super-specials. Very Australian-centric (obviously) so highly doubtful if there would be much interest outside Australia.

That's cool! I like the Australian Mads, but they have a lot of crossover with U.S. Mads, which isn't a bad thing, just not as alluring for collecting. Though it does look like one or two of the covers in your group might be Australian originals.

Funnily enough - most of the ones to sell quickly (within 1 week) were all USA cross-overs. The 'Australian Exclusives' do move a lot slower - the people and shows are less known to outsiders of course.

Funnily enough - most of the ones to sell quickly (within 1 week) were all USA cross-overs. The 'Australian Exclusives' do move a lot slower - the people and shows are less known to outsiders of course.

This is a shout-out to Barbarian to say thanks for the magazines. They arrived last month, but I haven't been on the boards in a while so this is a belated thank-you. One of the mags was a "prize" for researching Portuguese-language Mad covers, and one of them I purchased. The shipping was fast, the packaging was very solid, and both mags are in nice shape. They are cool, weird additions to my foreign-Mad collection.

154487.jpg.4485c00304626a63e022633d758824f7.jpg

I am looking for a few foreign issues and the 1958 MAD t-shirt. I have some amazing things available for trade or can purchase. The issues I need are: Finland 1970 #1, Norway 1971 #1, Israel #1, Kreten 1994 #1 and any of the Edicion Caribe issues. I have many foreign issues available to trade including many first issues and lots of other hard to find items. If you have any of those please reach out to me and hopefully we can work out a mutually beneficial deal. I have jewelry, straight jackets, Alfred E Neuman sing's what me worry 45's, and lots of other stuff...

Thank you!

Edited by madinny

I am looking for a few foreign issues and the 1958 MAD t-shirt. I have some amazing things available for trade or can purchase. The issues I need are: Finland 1970 #1, Norway 1971 #1, Israel #1, Kreten 1994 #1 and any of the Edicion Caribe issues. I have many foreign issues available to trade including many first issues and lots of other hard to find items. If you have any of those please reach out to me and hopefully we can work out a mutually beneficial deal. I have jewelry, straight jackets, Alfred E Neuman sing's what me worry 45's, and lots of other stuff... Thank you!

I wish I had many of the items you mention, but I don't. (And if I did, I'd probably want to keep them.) In addition to here, you might try posting in the message area called WTB: Want to Buy, if you haven't already posted there.

Collectors of foreign Mad issues seem to be a very rare group, and I have only come into contact with a handful over the years. Many of the items you mention are things I would be interested in seeing or collecting, so consider posting some images or possibly selling directly instead of trading.

By the way, what is "Kreten 1994"? Is that a Czech version of Mad? Is "Edicion Caribe" a reference to the Dominican Republic? I have never seen any of those issues at all.

I do have a variety of foreign issues, including about a half-dozen #1 issues, but am always on the lookout for more. I also am fond of foreign issues that have original material, or original cover artwork -- the more unusual the better.

Thanks for the tips. Kreten is a Hungarian edition of MAD that was started in 1994. Additionally, in 1997 Hungary had an edition title MAD as well. Edicion Caribe is a Caribbean edition, I don't know all the specifics, but it seems it was distributed in Puerto Rico and Venezuela and I assume elsewhere. I actually have tons of extra foreign issues from Sweden and Denmark, and a smattering from other countries including many first issues. More to come... It isn't accept my photo's and I can't figure it out. They aren't big files, but it is saying they exceed size.

Edited by madinny

Thanks for the clarifications on nationalities of those issues. They sound interesting. I was trying to find them on the CollectMad website, but they are not represented there.

Regarding posting images here in the CGC forums, you can either link to an image that is hosted somewhere else (such as on a Photobucket type of site), or you can upload them here using the File Manager at the bottom of the posting screen. For the images uploaded here, the file size supposedly needs to be under 200kb, but I have found that it won't accept files in the 190kb range either, so I usually try for 187kb or lower.

If you need help resizing your files, let me know. Most photo programs have a "save for web" or "resize" option and somewhere within that option it will allow you to tweak the image according to file size.

I also recommend setting the image width to no more than 800 pixels, because anything wider blows out the formatting of the CGC page.

I finally got around to digging out a couple of Mads that were my Dads, and thought I'd share. They're in nice condition and still have the inserts which is cool. I'm not much of a MAD collector, so trying to decide if its worth slabbing them or just parting with them on ebay or the forums.

Anyway, here are some photos:

More_Trash_Mad_1_Front_zpszfjtlhmr.jpg

More_Trash_Mad_2_Front_zpssvtcx3j1.jpg

Here's an updated photo of some of the foreign first issues, as well as a few selected "key issues" or low # issues where I don't have the #1. Still looking for Finland 1970 #1, Israel #1, Caribe #1 and Kreten (Hungary) #1. A few issues still in the mail, hopefully they arrive and I will do any updated photo with all them as well...

[/img]

155417.jpg.b71513ae1a9eba356ae6f4b16c331987.jpg

I finally got around to digging out a couple of Mads that were my Dads, and thought I'd share. They're in nice condition and still have the inserts which is cool. I'm not much of a MAD collector, so trying to decide if its worth slabbing them or just parting with them on ebay or the forums.

Nice couple of older specials! Love the Kelly Freas painted covers.

Here's an updated photo of some of the foreign first issues, as well as a few selected "key issues" or low # issues where I don't have the #1. Still looking for Finland 1970 #1, Israel #1, Caribe #1 and Kreten (Hungary) #1. A few issues still in the mail, hopefully they arrive and I will do any updated photo with all them as well...

[/img]

That's a bit small but it's fun to look at anyway. I see a U.S. Mad #1 and Mad #24 in there.... And two "Gas" Mads.... I see several other Alfred issues with the red border -- I assume they include a France, a UK, and maybe an Italy... I think I see the Spanish #1 (the pollution cover?)... And a couple of middle-finger covers... Definitely a Dutch #1 issue in the bunch... Also an Argentina and a Turkey... Plus loads of covers/issues I don't recognize.... Lots of great stuff there!

In my difficulties getting photos to upload I might have over shrunk it. I tried to go in date order of countries based on the year their 1st edition was published. I also added significant other issues.

1st row: US MAD 1, 24(1st magazine), 30(1st alfred), Uk, Sweden (all 3 editions), Japan

2nd row: Denmark (GAS, GAS repro, issue with GAS & MAD, 1st MAD title, 2nd edition, 3rd edition), Netherlands (both editions)

3rd row: France (both editions), Germany (2nd edition), Finland (2nd edition), Norway (2nd edition), Italy (all 3 editions)

4th row: Spain (edition 1 & 3), Brazil (edition 1,2,3), Argentina, Mexico (edition1 & 4)

5th row: Australia, Greece (both editions), South Africa, Iceland, China, Quebec, Hungary

6th row: India, Turkey, U.S. Spanish edition #16 (4th issue), Germany #2, Finland 1st edition #3, Norway 1st edition #2 and an old Chinese paperback

Edited by madinny

Mmmmmmm, nice ones!

(thumbs u