• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Con GA Geekfest 2010

57 posts in this topic

adam is a nationally known celebrity and doesn't want anyone to recognize him and his sordid hobby lol

I thought he was great in Iron Man, but a bit over the top in Sherlock Holmes.

I thought Chaplin was his definitive work

His stint on Alley McBeal wasn't too bad either

doh!

Despite my stunning good looks and suave and debonair personality, Hollywood has yet to tap me for a film. rantrant

Here's my picture from one of the earlier Geekfests.

Group2.jpg

Looks like a fun time!

Thanks for sharing those Siegel & Shuster letters.

Even with all the great comics that we looked at (on average each person had about 10 books), the letters were probably the highlight of what I saw. There were actually more of them but I took pictures of ones that I thought would be of the greatest interest.

adam is a nationally known celebrity and doesn't want anyone to recognize him and his sordid hobby lol

doh!

Despite my stunning good looks and suave and debonair personality, Hollywood has yet to tap me for a film. rantrant

Group2.jpg

We look so tiny sitting behind those JUMBOS.

doh!

Group2.jpg

We look so tiny sitting behind those JUMBOS.

but none of the lot of you could get the arm crossing pose right :makepoint:

doh!

Group2.jpg

Mile High run of Jumbo I believe/?

Group2.jpg

Mile High run of Jumbo I believe/?

Yes, and they are just beautiful!

FYI, in the pic from L - R are: MrBedrock. adamstrange, nearmint, esquirecomics, RareHighGrade, and yours truly.

Who brought the letters and what is the story behind them even existing? Things like that don't seem to be saved that often, so this dialogue via the letters about how well Superman was doing in Action Comics is very interesting.

Lots of key books at the gathering as well. I like to see the Action #1 protected in the Fortress. The best thing ever invented (thanks Chris Pedrin) for long term archival storage of golden age books.

adamstrange cannot really crush a camera with his bare hands, his grip strength has been way over exaggerated here. He can burn a hole through it with his eyes however. Really, I saw him do it to Harley until he let a book go that he was holding for someone else. Kind of cruel really, to abuse a power like that.

One of Zaid lawyer buddies, name was Wayne, I beleive, works for DC or Universal, something like that, his department oversees the character property rights for the DC universe, to clear the way before the movies begin. Something like make sure all writers, artists, and other claimants are "compensated" before the movie starts.

His office has many of the original letters regarding the lawsuits DC had with Shuster et al,over the years.

How's that for a un boner fide explanation,

Pretty cool stuff, and Wayne a collector as well, nice guy,

B

FYI, in the pic from L - R are: MrBedrock. adamstrange, nearmint, esquirecomics, RareHighGrade, and yours truly.

And let it never be said that an actual image of adamstrange has never appeared on the web....here is the only one I am aware of (with him as a toddler in the family picture with Mom and Dad).

adamstrangefamilyfoto.jpg

One of Zaid lawyer buddies, name was Wayne, I beleive, works for DC or Universal, something like that, his department oversees the character property rights for the DC universe, to clear the way before the movies begin. Something like make sure all writers, artists, and other claimants are "compensated" before the movie starts.

His office has many of the original letters regarding the lawsuits DC had with Shuster et al,over the years.

B

Wayne Smith is a VP with Warner Bros Entertainment and one of their key attorneys. He is on the Board of Advisors for the Comic Book Collecting Association.

Of course, Warner Bros has owned DC since the late 1960s and they have many of the key documents from the lawsuits brought by Siegel in the 1940s and again in the 1960s, which is where those letters came from.

Having read them, I can tell you that they portray a very different picture than what the community believes took place between Siegel, Shuster and DC.

B

Wayne Smith is a VP with Warner Bros Entertainment and one of their key attorneys. He is on the Board of Advisors for the Comic Book Collecting Association.

Of course, Warner Bros has owned DC since the late 1960s and they have many of the key documents from the lawsuits brought by Siegel in the 1940s and again in the 1960s, which is where those letters came from.

Having read them, I can tell you that they portray a very different picture than what the community believes took place between Siegel, Shuster and DC.

media and such have a way of distoring the "facts" (thumbs u

"It looks like Great Britain will not enter a war, so that clause in the contract shouldn't create any difficulty"

That's the highlight, to me, of this entire thread.

Now I want to know what the clause said...written a scant 11 months before Great Britain did, indeed, enter a war (and directly after the disastrous Munich agreement.)

Amazing, amazing stuff.

B

Siegel was a little nuts, and that aspect hasn't gotten much press. But as much as WB would like to believe they did no wrong, there's little question that in Supe's 40s heyday, S and S were entitled to a percentage of ancillary profits and never got a dime. DC justified it with the old they're getting enough anyway. And the guys were doing well. But if DC had simply taken steps to see that some of those checks to S and S had words like "merchandising profits" on them, they would've been in a better position.

It's a common mindset of entertainment industry giants that when they agree to a category of profits that in their hearts they don't really agree to, they quite often simply don't make any payments in that category. And the talent looks at the total picture and disregards how much he's making in total because he knows he's being screwed in that category. It's an emotional position on both sides, and it's very often even childish on both sides. One side blinded to how much they're making and how much the studio made it possible. And the other side ignoring the fact that giving the other side what it wants doesn't need to cost anything to their bottom line, choosing instead a path of antagonism for its own sake.

"It looks like Great Britain will not enter a war, so that clause in the contract shouldn't create any difficulty"

Now I want to know what the clause said...written a scant 11 months before Great Britain did, indeed, enter a war (and directly after the disastrous Munich agreement.)

Amazing, amazing stuff.

I was just about to point out that paragraph, too. What could that clause have been? Were DC concerned that a second world war would have resulted in the US joining in and their artists and writers being drafted? Curious.

I just don't see the connection between the political situation and a superhero comic strip.

Amazing, amazing stuff.

I was just about to point out that paragraph, too. What could that clause have been? Were DC concerned that a second world war would have resulted in the US joining in and their artists and writers being drafted? Curious.

I just don't see the connection between the political situation and a superhero comic strip.

My best guess is that it might have had to do with the Superman strip reprints which would appear in UK Triumph magazines in 1939. Maybe the clause said that if war breaks out, the mags would not run and Siegel & Shuster would not be paid for the reprint rights, or something to that effect.