• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Comiclink Auction

449 posts in this topic

Can someone explain Rule #2?

How is it a "thrill" to bid on an item that you know you're not going to win? Just trying to understanding this phenomenon...

it is the potential "danger" that even though one might "assume" they will not win with their "thrill" bid, it is statistically possible that they might...so, that is the "exciting" or "thrilling" part... even if their expection differs

I see - more like a "low-ball" bid. I guess that leads me to the second question: Has anyone here ever put in a thrill bid and ACTUALLY WON? :whee:

Won a nice Pep #20 that way :)

How is it a "thrill" to bid on an item that you know you're not going to win? Just trying to understanding this phenomenon...

it is the potential "danger" that even though one might "assume" they will not win with their "thrill" bid, it is statistically possible that they might...so, that is the "exciting" or "thrilling" part... even if their expection differs

I see - more like a "low-ball" bid. I guess that leads me to the second question: Has anyone here ever put in a thrill bid and ACTUALLY WON? :whee:

Won a nice Pep #20 that way :)

I won a couple of Francis the Talking Mule that way :insane:

I have won books with my thrill bids. There is also the thrill that sometimes all the action is in the last few minutes of the auction. So there you sit with your low bid on a book you can't possibly get at that price but you hold out hope until some high roller blows you away in the last 20 seconds.

I think it's not even that. There are a lot of folks who just like to say that they've bid on X and Y books, knowing that there is absolutely ZERO chance they will win those books.

I think it's not even that. There are a lot of folks who just like to say that they've bid on X and Y books, knowing that there is absolutely ZERO chance they will win those books.

I think it's this also. Like being able to say: "you know that Tec 27 that went for a million bucks earlier this year? I was in the bidding on that." That's the thrill part. (:

Has anyone seen the Tec 32 or Tec 38 before?

According to GPA, a CGC 5.5 Tec 32 sold earlier this month for $2,500 and this one is already there.

Mike

The $2500 Gpa for the 5.5 #32 was from the Heritage auction and it had "Slightly Brittle" pages...i was an active bidder on the book.

According to GPA, a CGC 5.5 Tec 32 sold earlier this month for $2,500 and this one is already there.

Mike

The $2500 Gpa for the 5.5 #32 was from the Heritage auction and it had "Slightly Brittle" pages...i was an active bidder on the book.

+1 Slightly Brittle but looked much better.

Also, in comiclink auctions since there is no track feature. I like to bid on any book of interest so I can follow the auction. I forget about books over two weeks of auction bids. Plus the final price is saved if I want to keep that as well.

Mike

+1 Slightly Brittle but looked much better.

I also bid on that one. I was hoping the bad page quality would keep the book's price "low", but no such luck on a pre Robin 'Tec.

part of the "danger" being that you leave your "Current Bids" page up when your wife needs to use the computer then she wants to know how you plan on paying for the $30,000 worth of books that you're the high bidder on....

...and you are praying that the high rollers will step in at the last second and save your bacon! :insane:

part of the "danger" being that you leave your "Current Bids" page up when your wife needs to use the computer then she wants to know how you plan on paying for the $30,000 worth of books that you're the high bidder on....

...and you are praying that the high rollers will step in at the last second and save your bacon! :insane:

Some might pray that they live long enough to see that happen. hm

Cannot believe the crazy price for the 5th Action wrap, $4,053 so far. Yeah its got the Supe lifting the car panel, but $4,053 for a single wrap! :screwy:

I have to agree, the collector car equivalent is like paying $5,000 for the steering wheel from a Shelby Cobra. Sure, its cool. Sure, you'll never afford the original vehicle (or comic), but at some point, you gotta put the crack pipe down and realize you're paying a good chunk of change for a "part" of something, and not the actual thing itself.

Cannot believe the crazy price for the 5th Action wrap, $4,053 so far. Yeah its got the Supe lifting the car panel, but $4,053 for a single wrap! :screwy:

I have to agree, the collector car equivalent is like paying $5,000 for the steering wheel from a Shelby Cobra. Sure, its cool. Sure, you'll never afford the original vehicle (or comic), but at some point, you gotta put the crack pipe down and realize you're paying a good chunk of change for a "part" of something, and not the actual thing itself.

(worship)

It's the thing itself, just a very incomplete version of that thing.

By the way, I have a single molecule from Action Comics #1 that I'll sell to anybody here for $500. (Free shipping!)