• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Comiclink Auction

449 posts in this topic

Cannot believe the crazy price for the 5th Action wrap, $4,053 so far. Yeah its got the Supe lifting the car panel, but $4,053 for a single wrap! :screwy:

I have to agree, the collector car equivalent is like paying $5,000 for the steering wheel from a Shelby Cobra. Sure, its cool. Sure, you'll never afford the original vehicle (or comic), but at some point, you gotta put the crack pipe down and realize you're paying a good chunk of change for a "part" of something, and not the actual thing itself.

It's the thing itself, just a very incomplete version of that thing.

By the way, I have a single molecule from Action Comics #1 that I'll sell to anybody here for $500. (Free shipping!)

:gossip: I am asking $1000 for my molecule, so you might want to raise your price or you are going to hurt my biz lol

Cannot believe the crazy price for the 5th Action wrap, $4,053 so far. Yeah its got the Supe lifting the car panel, but $4,053 for a single wrap! :screwy:

I have to agree, the collector car equivalent is like paying $5,000 for the steering wheel from a Shelby Cobra. Sure, its cool. Sure, you'll never afford the original vehicle (or comic), but at some point, you gotta put the crack pipe down and realize you're paying a good chunk of change for a "part" of something, and not the actual thing itself.

By the way, I have a single molecule from Action Comics #1 that I'll sell to anybody here for $500. (Free shipping!)

:gossip: I am asking $1000 for my molecule, so you might want to raise your price or you are going to hurt my biz lol

So, if I bought one of the wraps from this auction, cracked it, ran it through a paper shredder, and came up with 100 strips ...flip them for $500 per strip ...JACKPOT! hm

So, if I bought one of the wraps from this auction, cracked it, ran it through a paper shredder, and came up with 100 strips ...flip them for $500 per strip ...JACKPOT! hm

:banana:

Years from now, when the comic market has completely and utterly collapsed, I think people will point to the slabbing and sales of individual pages for thousands of dollars as the height of the insanity mania, rather than the million dollar sales for the whole books.

Years from now, when the comic market has completely and utterly collapsed, I think people will point to the slabbing and sales of individual pages for thousands of dollars as the height of the insanity mania, rather than the million dollar sales for the whole books.

I was going to bid on the 14th wrap until I heard it might have color touch. So instead I'm going for the 15th wrap, have it pressed and resub it.

I'm going to crack out my Superman #1 NG and photograph the interior pages before selling it. It's got most of those Action #1 pages in there including car scene.

:devil:

Joking aside, I can easily see how the twinfluence of slabbing and inflated prices can make it appealing to have a single wrap that has the cover scene, and more besides.

When it's a car, and it's complete, you can drive it. But if you had to slab a Shelby so that all you could do is look at it, then looking at a steering wheel is not that much less enjoyable than looking at a slabbed complete car.

When a complete Action 1's in a slab, all you can see of Superman is the front cover. So a slabbed action 1 page with the cover scene allows you to see that image and a whole page of story along with it.

Of course I'd feel a better about it if I didn't know that a complete coverless copy had been disassembled to make all those separate wraps. I would've preferred to see it go to completing one or more other books. But whomever owned it had the right to do with it as they pleased, and that is the route they chose. It's not quite like cutting up a copy of the Constitution and selling it phrase by phrase (but if you have one and you do that, I want dibs on "We the People."

(worship)

Somebody else hit the crack pipe.............now at $4,253. :tonofbricks:

Joking aside, I can easily see how the twinfluence of slabbing and inflated prices can make it appealing to have a single wrap that has the cover scene, and more besides.

When it's a car, and it's complete, you can drive it. But if you had to slab a Shelby so that all you could do is look at it, then looking at a steering wheel is not that much less enjoyable than looking at a slabbed complete car.

When a complete Action 1's in a slab, all you can see of Superman is the front cover. So a slabbed action 1 page with the cover scene allows you to see that image and a whole page of story along with it.

Of course I'd feel a better about it if I didn't know that a complete coverless copy had been disassembled to make all those separate wraps. I would've preferred to see it go to completing one or more other books. But whomever owned it had the right to do with it as they pleased, and that is the route they chose. It's not quite like cutting up a copy of the Constitution and selling it phrase by phrase (but if you have one and you do that, I want dibs on "We the People."

A cut up coverless Action 1 will likely never be seen again. Obviously the coverless copy would far exceed the individual supes content wraps.

Im guessing this will make the long term upside on these waps very good, since there likely will never be more come to market.

Of course I am biased in this regard. :)

It's cool to be able to read Superman's origin through the slab as well.

Years from now, when the comic market has completely and utterly collapsed, I think people will point to the slabbing and sales of individual pages for thousands of dollars.

I think people will point to overpopulation, hunger, the destruction of the environment, or the collapse of the world's economy. By that point I doubt if the sales of a few wraps are going to register much response.

Or is this hyperbole?

A cut up coverless Action 1 will likely never be seen again. Obviously the coverless copy would far exceed the individual supes content wraps.

Im guessing this will make the long term upside on these waps very good, since there likely will never be more come to market.

Of course I am biased in this regard. :)

Yep...if an opportunity arises for the collector...take it or wait ...wait...