• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Last year I bought about 6 long boxes from an ad on Craigslist. I went through the boxes fairly quickly and rebagged and boarded all the obvious goodies. However, there was a ton of junk in those long boxes with raggedy bags and boards that I'd been way too lazy to go through.

Tonight, I started going through for the dreaded rebagging and boarding. First long box I get through about 25 books when I find this...

001.jpg

002.jpg

Getting active on these boards and learning from everyone here (schmidt, brad, harry and more) about great books I wasn't familiar with sure has paid off! Not high grade, but a very nice surprise.

Reviving the awesome "absolute hardest to find 90's books" thread with this oddity. I purchased a couple of long boxes off of ebay several years ago and this book was hiding in one of them. It's a variant of X-Men Adventures Volume 2, Number 1. I had never seen one before and haven't seen another one since, but I don't know if it's truly that hard to find. Wondering if anyone else has one or knows any information about it, such as print run? I assume it was given to retailers who attended the Diamond Summit in 1994, but that's just going from what the cover says. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Photobucket

I was reading through the first few pages of the thread and the Maximum Carnage Harcover book that came with the acclaim game was mentioned. I didn't know it was considered rare or anything like that. As a barometer I looked at eBay and found one going for $850 ( I know, such a good barometer).

I remember my Mom getting this for me as a kid for Christmas. To stop me from getting it on my own she told me I couldn't because it was "too violent". I even tried showing her the comics and show here that Carnage wasn't a really violent character.

I looked and I still have the book, three pins, the box, but no game.

I was reading through the first few pages of the thread and the Maximum Carnage Harcover book that came with the acclaim game was mentioned. I didn't know it was considered rare or anything like that. As a barometer I looked at eBay and found one going for $850 ( I know, such a good barometer).

I remember my Mom getting this for me as a kid for Christmas. To stop me from getting it on my own she told me I couldn't because it was "too violent". I even tried showing her the comics and show here that Carnage wasn't a really violent character.

I looked and I still have the book, three pins, the box, but no game.

There are 4 on there now going for 25-45 $

Yeah I looked again today and the ones I found were no where near the $850 price.

I found it in OSPG for $7 so somebody is a little off..

But as the the rarity is the 5,000 printed a good number?

okay...i have to ask...what is a Pressman variant?...what makes it different?

I'm pretty sure they were distributed with Pressman board games. Not sure how many were made, but they're hard to find.

The dudes over at STL have a pretty good understanding of what the Pressman variants are ... here's a thread for you to read about them.

STL Comics Pressman Info :cool:

Picked this up over the weekend for $20. Still sealed. :)

xmen-game.jpg

It's still in transit, but the front looks like it says "comic book OFFER inside". I wonder if the book is actually in there, or if it's a mail away.... SURE hope it's the prior!

Edited by sl4ppy

xmen-game.jpg

It's still in transit, but the front looks like it says "comic book OFFER inside". I wonder if the book is actually in there, or if it's a mail away.... SURE hope it's the prior!

The books that were offered inside the box were UXM 303, UXM 307 and X-Men 11. The mail away form could have landed you any one of those or UXM 297. From what I understand, the 297 was only available via the mail in coupon. I'm still not sure if you were guaranteed one of the books in the box. Let us know how it turns out!

xmen-game.jpg

Ah, Board games. :cloud9:

How people wasted their time before the Internet.

I also collect 3M bookshelf games from the 50's & 60's.

Acquire, Mr. President, etc., etc. They don't makes games like these anymore. The period illustration work is awesome purely on its own...

acquire-3m-bookshelf-game-complete-vintage-1962_180658133725.jpgvintage-1968-stocks-bonds-3m-bookshelf-game-011ee.jpg

46535.jpgSZFl3UUKuWTdpSs.jpg

Edited by sl4ppy

They do make Acquire (I have played the old 3M game you have) now! I bought it at a specialty game kiosk in the mall around Christmas a few years ago.

Love that game!

Ya, not to continue the derail too much, but Acquire is probably one the greatest board games ever made. Monopoly for adults.

They do make Acquire (I have played the old 3M game you have) now! I bought it at a specialty game kiosk in the mall around Christmas a few years ago.

Love that game!

Ya, not to continue the derail too much, but Acquire is probably one the greatest board games ever made. Monopoly for adults.

:sorry: I thought monopoly was monopoly for adults

Love that game!

:sorry: I thought monopoly was monopoly for adults

CASHFLOW is the Monopoly game for adults. :sumo:

xmen-game.jpg

Has anyone ever played this board game?