• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

I swear I saw that book last weekend and didn't know it was that rare. hm if I make it back to the inlaws anytime soon I'm going to have to go look again.

You may have seen the cover, but it is the combo of the 25 cent logo and the barcode with the price that is the rare one.

I swear I saw that book last weekend and didn't know it was that rare. hm if I make it back to the inlaws anytime soon I'm going to have to go look again.

You may have seen the cover, but it is the combo of the 25 cent logo and the barcode with the price that is the rare one.

True. Which is why I'm not making any great trek to get back to that store. If it's there when I get back it will be there when I get back. Not worrying too much about it.

I know newsstand copies have traditionally been rarer than their direct edition counterparts, but why do they seem far more difficult to find around this time. Is the print run that much lower than the early 90's? Were they just trying to phase out newsstands?

Newsstand issues are rarer because unsold copies are returned and destroyed. The ones that don't get bought within the first few hours started looking rough with spine creases as people flip through them on spinner racks. Newsstand comics dropped in sales when the direct market was born. Publisher made more money when the product wasn't returnable, so they quit promoting newsstand sales.

DG

With Borders closing shop they might just be that much harder to find nowadays as well given that was a big national chain that had rack comics....although maybe not if the "rare" seekers are now searching out newstand copies on the day of delivery. 10 years ago folks weren't really thinking about it much.

I know newsstand copies have traditionally been rarer than their direct edition counterparts, but why do they seem far more difficult to find around this time. Is the print run that much lower than the early 90's? Were they just trying to phase out newsstands?

Newsstand issues are rarer because unsold copies are returned and destroyed. The ones that don't get bought within the first few hours started looking rough with spine creases as people flip through them on spinner racks. Newsstand comics dropped in sales when the direct market was born. Publisher made more money when the product wasn't returnable, so they quit promoting newsstand sales.

DG

With Borders closing shop they might just be that much harder to find nowadays as well given that was a big national chain that had rack comics....although maybe not if the "rare" seekers are now searching out newstand copies on the day of delivery. 10 years ago folks weren't really thinking about it much.

With comics costing so much, I don't think many buyers of modern comics are looking to add newsstand variants to their collection. If there are any differences, I'd expect them to be very rare in the future. I'm not a fan of modern comics, so I can't bring myself to buy any. If there was a modern comic I wanted, I might look for the newsstand version.

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

I don't know the print run, but they were originally giveaways at cons. I got it when I went to Comicfest '93 in Philadelphia, where Stan sat at the Mirage booth promoting Usagi's (temporary) move to Mirage.

Ha! I was at the con and still have some of the original junk that came with signing up and entering the door. That was a great con! I got Todd's autograph, saw more comics than I even knew existed and got a picture with spidey and captain america before they became movie stars! ;) I was unaware that Stan "the man" was there or maybe it was that he could only show up for one day... hm