• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Darryl was able to beat up and completely knock out a man without anyone seeing or hearing anything. Then, he had time to load, point and fire a rocket launcher? And the rocket launcher didn't just hit something. It hit something effectively blowing up the entire group. Nice work, ninja Darryl.

A.K.A.

#DarrylExMachina

What happened to the fact that Sam was crying "Mom" at the end of the mid-season finale? Did that not happen? Did they get past it cause he shut up? Sam was the biggest liability to begin with. Why not send him and his mom with Judith to the church, if Sam was going to insist on being with her? There was doubt before they ever left the house that he would make it through the horde. Why not take that opportunity to get him out of the group trying to do something? Frustrating. If you're going to have Sam and his mom get eaten, do it like it was telegraphed: when he's crying mom right after they leave the house.

Darryl was able to beat up and completely knock out a man without anyone seeing or hearing anything. Then, he had time to load, point and fire a rocket launcher? And the rocket launcher didn't just hit something. It hit something effectively blowing up the entire group. Nice work, ninja Darryl.

It went from light to complete darkness in one commercial break. Now Rick's group moves so slowly that a complete sunset and darkness can swoop in before they move 100'. Speed up, folks.

Everyone who's ever lacked a pair (known characters and filler town residents included) now grows some and proceeds to cut down an entire heard without losing a person. Not one person's knife or other small blade ever gets stuck in the head shots they keep ticking off, as zombies do the TV show equivalent of lining up single file to be killed. Nice.

Lots of WD-world logical holes.

Overall, the story telling copped out where they should have stepped up and stepped up in the least logical ways and only at times and with resolutions that were most convenient.

They are getting very "redshirt-y" with characters going down and it's sapping the tension from what made those earlier season episodes so great.

What happened to the fact that Sam was crying "Mom" at the end of the mid-season finale? Did that not happen? Did they get past it cause he shut up? Sam was the biggest liability to begin with. Why not send him and his mom with Judith to the church, if Sam was going to insist on being with her? There was doubt before they ever left the house that he would make it through the horde. Why not take that opportunity to get him out of the group trying to do something? Frustrating. If you're going to have Sam and his mom get eaten, do it like it was telegraphed: when he's crying mom right after they leave the house.

It went from light to complete darkness in one commercial break. Now Rick's group moves so slowly that a complete sunset and darkness can swoop in before they move 100'. Speed up, folks.

Everyone who's ever lacked a pair (known characters and filler town residents included) now grows some and proceeds to cut down an entire heard without losing a person. Not one person's knife or other small blade ever gets stuck in the head shots they keep ticking off, as zombies do the TV show equivalent of lining up single file to be killed. Nice.

Overall, the story telling copped out where they should have stepped up and stepped up in the least logical ways and only at times and with resolutions that were most convenient.

They are getting very "redshirt-y" with characters going down and it's sapping the tension from what made those earlier season episodes so great.

Perfect assesment, Chris. I was really looking forward to this episode and now after watching it, I was kind of left feeling "Meh". Not only did they gloss over Sam's whining at the end of the previous episode, but let's be honest, they kind of wrote themselves into too many corners with the amount of zombies they filled the town with. Not that we should be looking at this from a realistic point of view, but Sam starts whining again, gets bit, his mom starts screaming, gets bit. Rick starts to freak out, nothing happens, Carl is calling for Rick over and over and no Zombie moves up to bite him. Glenn gets completely surrounded and Sasha and Abraham unleash a hail storm of machine gun fire into the hoard that has him backed into the wall and Glenn comes away unscathed again? I can't even get into the hack and slash zombie-a-thon at the end. Plus, when did the Walking Dead Zombies turn into the Cy-Bugs from Wreck-it-Ralph?

Perfect assesment, Chris. I was really looking forward to this episode and now after watching it, I was kind of left feeling "Meh". Not only did they gloss over Sam's whining at the end of the previous episode, but let's be honest, they kind of wrote themselves into too many corners with the amount of zombies they filled the town with. Not that we should be looking at this from a realistic point of view, but Sam starts whining again, gets bit, his mom starts screaming, gets bit. Rick starts to freak out, nothing happens, Carl is calling for Rick over and over and no Zombie moves up to bite him. Glenn gets completely surrounded and Sasha and Abraham unleash a hail storm of machine gun fire into the hoard that has him backed into the wall and Glenn comes away unscathed again? I can't even get into the hack and slash zombie-a-thon at the end. Plus, when did the Walking Dead Zombies turn into the Cy-Bugs from Wreck-it-Ralph?

Its a television adaption of a event that happened in a comic book. Would you prefer the version in the book as more realistic? If someone feels meh after watching that episode I just don't know what to say other than nothing is perfection. If this was a movie where they had tons of capital and time to do everything right then yes I'm sure even then someone could find a comb to pick out all the flaws.

:facepalm:

I just get a giggle out of the fact that people who complain over the lack of realism in certain scenes fail to realize that the suspension of disbelief should apply to the entire show because, well, I hate to spoil this for everyone, but…there are zombies walking around. At some point you just gotta watch the show and enjoy it for what it is…eye candy for us TWD nerds. When you start to analyze it for its artistic content and the realism in scenes you're missing the point because it's not realistic.

rantrant

This is not meant to point fingers at people for knocking certain scenes in the show…I see and make passing thoughts about them (the plot holes, the stupidity of the decisions made by certain characters, etc.) while I'm watching, too…but overall I enjoy the heck out of the show (simply put). (thumbs u

This show and Game of Thrones make my Sunday nights in the spring/summer…when they're off the air I'll be in deep mourning for reals. :sorry:

Edited by Sensei Ryan

Its a television adaption of a event that happened in a comic book. Would you prefer the version in the book as more realistic? If someone feels meh after watching that episode I just don't know what to say other than nothing is perfection. If this was a movie where they had tons of capital and time to do everything right then yes I'm sure even then someone could find a comb to pick out all the flaws.

:facepalm:

Relax. No one is taking it too seriously. The entire point of these threads is to have a discussion about a program we all enjoy. :eyeroll:

I just get a giggle out of the fact that people who complain over the lack of realism in certain scenes fail to realize that the suspension of disbelief should apply to the entire show because, well, I hate to spoil this for everyone, but…there are zombies walking around. At some point you just gotta watch the show and enjoy it for what it is…eye candy for us TWD nerds. When you start to analyze it for its artistic content and the realism in scenes you're missing the point because it's not realistic.

rantrant

This is not meant to point fingers at people for knocking certain scenes in the show…I see and make passing thoughts about them (the plot holes, the stupidity of the decisions made by certain characters, etc.) while I'm watching, too…but overall I enjoy the heck out of the show (simply put). (thumbs u

This show and Game of Thrones make my Sunday nights in the spring/summer…when they're off the air I'll be in deep mourning for reals. :sorry:

It's been said time and time again, it's about consistency with the universe created for the show. Gas goes bad after a year? Big deal, it's part of the universe. Zombies walk around? Big deal, it's part of the universe. No one ever seems to get a cold or infection? Big deal, it's part of the universe.

All the zombies are slow and bad at attacking people? That's an issue because, prior to now, it's been every zombie was basically a threat. 100 of them should be avoided, not taken on directly. That's an issue now, because in a horde they aren't converging and hundreds can be killed with ease.

50 feet away from a group of people, guarding 3 other people with guns drawn, Darryl can fight and kill/subdue a man with no one noticing or hearing? Then he can load a rocket launcher and step out from behind the truck and have time to aim well, and no one notices or reacts? And the one shot he fires blows up EVERYTHING? But somehow barely impacts the people standing 20-30 feet away? Yeah, that's sloppy thinking on the show's part.

The TV show ends with a kid saying "mom, mom, mom" and then it's just ignored as if it never happened when the show resumes? Or they end a scene in daylight and resume again in total darkness? Sloppy.

Sure, there are zombies. But according to the universe they've created, bullets don't come out of guns, sprout tiny fairies with knives and magically drill one in each zombies brain from 1000 yds away. You don't expect Star Trek transporters to beam people around or Star Wars lightsabers to cut down the zombies.

There are "rules" in this universe and Sunday night's episode stretched them to the point of breaking.

The TV show ends with a kid saying "mom, mom, mom" and then it's just ignored as if it never happened when the show resumes? Or they end a scene in daylight and resume again in total darkness? Sloppy.

None of the other 'sloppy' storytelling devices bug me, but the whole daylight/darkness thing bugs the mess out of me...but that particular one is not unique to TWD; Studios (movie AND TV) do this all the time - I know I've noticed it dozens of times in other shows and movies. I mean, I get why they did it (they needed darkness for the lake of fire, which followed shortly thereafter), but it certainly could've been done more subtly than it was.

rantrant

It's been said time and time again, it's about consistency with the universe created for the show. Gas goes bad after a year? Big deal, it's part of the universe. Zombies walk around? Big deal, it's part of the universe. No one ever seems to get a cold or infection? Big deal, it's part of the universe.

All the zombies are slow and bad at attacking people? That's an issue because, prior to now, it's been every zombie was basically a threat. 100 of them should be avoided, not taken on directly. That's an issue now, because in a horde they aren't converging and hundreds can be killed with ease.

50 feet away from a group of people, guarding 3 other people with guns drawn, Darryl can fight and kill/subdue a man with no one noticing or hearing? Then he can load a rocket launcher and step out from behind the truck and have time to aim well, and no one notices or reacts? And the one shot he fires blows up EVERYTHING? But somehow barely impacts the people standing 20-30 feet away? Yeah, that's sloppy thinking on the show's part.

Sure, there are zombies. But according to the universe they've created, bullets don't come out of guns, sprout tiny fairies with knives and magically drill one in each zombies brain from 1000 yds away. You don't expect Star Trek transporters to beam people around or Star Wars lightsabers to cut down the zombies.

There are "rules" in this universe and Sunday night's episode stretched them to the point of breaking.

What the totality of season 6 has done, for me, is remove the thought of "Oh, my WILL "X" escape and survive?" and replace it with "Let's see how "X" gets out of this one."

That simple change in tone and expectation and storytelling alters the narrative from something serious and compelling into the end of any given episode of the Batman '66 TV Show.

"Will Glenn escape the hoard? Will Maggie have to raise their rugrat alone? Tune in next time true believers, same dead time, same dead channel."

Rick essentially grabs the Invincibility Star from Super Mario Bros. and builds up a ridiculous hit combo. And just like that, The Walking Dead turns into a video game. These people literally kill hundreds of zombies.

:D