• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

I have a feeling it was somebody in the van. Daryl, Glenn or Michonne. The episode began from the first-person point of view of someone in the van and every scene after a commercial break was presented in the first-person point of view.

Fitting and possibly not a coincidence that it ended from the first-person point of view.

2c

I stopped watching Talking Dead a quarter of the way through the episode. Did Kirkman and Gimple say that even the actors don't know who died?

I quit watching it too. I've read some stuff saying that the cast doesn't know who Negan bashed.

What a terrible ending to the season. Really lame.

I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was great as Negan, I got chills when he delivered the WD #100 dialogue verbatim. The background noise reminded me of the mood from The Dark Knight with Ledger's Joker, probably the best use of suspenseful sound on the show yet. And then... cop out

For all the buildup from the cast about how sickening the ending made them feel, they blew it. To show Glenn's death, or Darryl's or whoever, it would have been talked about for months, but with the "cliffhanger" it will talked about for a few days and forgotten about.

The only way Kirkman and Gimple can save face after being called every name in the book for the next 6 months is to open the season with the end scene and show the death, really show it. Not just the aftermath.

lots of bunched up panties from people that seem to have a strong sense of entitlement lol

The show's never needed stunts and junk to tell a story before.

This is the kind of recycled garbage that TWD's never needed to tell its story.

It's not entitlement it's being perceptive enough to see that the show runners don't have even the slightest respect for their audience's intelligence, and certainly not enough faith in the story they are telling to tell it straight, complete the narrative, and let the new season stand on its own.

This was a hedge and a fall premiere ratings grab that, for a show that's never needed ratings help, screams of a lack of faith.

:whistle:

Nobody dies until next season. Negan barely shows up right at the end of the episode.

Death happens first episode of next season. Sets the tone.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9254427

He absolutely killed someone...and had a 10 minute monologue before doing so. (shrug)

When Dallas did the "Who Shot JR" cliffhanger it was one of the most talked about events of the year, because nobody saw it coming. I remember seeing "I Shot JR" t-shirts everywhere when I was in middle school. However, when they did the "who is the dead woman in the pool" cliffhanger, not so much.

I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was great as Negan, I got chills when he delivered the WD #100 dialogue verbatim. The background noise reminded me of the mood from The Dark Knight with Ledger's Joker, probably the best use of suspenseful sound on the show yet. And then... cop out

For all the buildup from the cast about how sickening the ending made them feel, they blew it. To show Glenn's death, or Darryl's or whoever, it would have been talked about for months, but with the "cliffhanger" it will talked about for a few days and forgotten about.

The only way Kirkman and Gimple can save face after being called every name in the book for the next 6 months is to open the season with the end scene and show the death, really show it. Not just the aftermath.

Imagine if on Game Of Thrones, the Red Wedding...the band stopped playing, pulled their crossbows and.....FADE TO BLACK.

Or the end of Season 2 of TWD, the mid-season finale....they spent the last 6+ episodes looking for Sophia...all the walkers pour out of the barn and....FADE TO BLACK.

"Who was in the barn? Is their search over? Who can handle what's to come? Come back in February...same Dead Time....same Dead Channel!!!"

The best television doesn't save their payoff, dangling it like a carrot, to get their ad dollars first. They tell their damn story...beginning, middle, end.

We know that because TWD has done that more successfully, season to season and without cliche and trope, than almost any show ever made. This, the dumpster, Denise for Abe...cheapens the entire experience and reduces the show's stature incredibly.

An ending like this is a gimmick employed by weaker quality shows. It's a gimmick they've never needed before and, if they quality of the storytelling was tighter, they would not need it now.

Season 1 - learn everyone will turn undead, driving off into destination unknown after the CDC explodes

Season 2 mid-season - barn incident, kill zombie Sophia

Season 2 - farm overrun, Shane killed, hooded Michonne intro, prison in the distance, "ricktatorship" speech

Season 3 mid-season - failed Woodbury extraction, Governor's Meryl/Daryl pitfight announcement

Season 3 - Woodbury massacre, Andrea's dead, residents join prison group, what happened to the Governor?

Season 4 mid-season - Hershel killed, Governor killed, prison overrun, Rick & Carl leaving "don't look back"

Season 4 - trapped in Terminus train car, "screwing" with wrong people line

Season 5 mid-season - Beth dies, Morgan randomly shows up 2 seasons later trailing Rick's groups recent steps

Season 5 - Douglas gets killed, Rick shoots Pete, Morgan shows up at Alexandria "Rick?"

Season 6 mid-season - Daryl, Abraham, Sasha confronted by Negan's crew on road, Rick & co. begin walking through herd and Sam calling "mom"

Season 6 - Who got Lucille's wrath?

Nope, never used that cliffhanger thing before in this series.

edit: and no, I'm not a fan of the cliffhanger ending here. I agree it's lame.

Edited by chewy106

Imagine if on Game Of Thrones, the Red Wedding...the band stopped playing, pulled their crossbows and.....FADE TO BLACK.

Or the end of Season 2 of TWD, the mid-season finale....they spent the last 6+ episodes looking for Sophia...all the walkers pour out of the barn and....FADE TO BLACK.

"Who was in the barn? Is their search over? Who can handle what's to come? Come back in February...same Dead Time....same Dead Channel!!!"

The best television doesn't save their payoff, dangling it like a carrot, to get their ad dollars first. They tell their damn story...beginning, middle, end.

We know that because TWD has done that more successfully, season to season and without cliche and trope, than almost any show ever made. This, the dumpster, Denise for Abe...cheapens the entire experience and reduces the show's stature incredibly.

^^

I couldn't agree more.

An ending like this is a gimmick employed by weaker quality shows. It's a gimmick they've never needed before and, if they quality of the storytelling was tighter, they would not need it now.

Season 1 - learn everyone will turn undead, driving off into destination unknown after the CDC explodes NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 2 mid-season - barn incident, kill zombie Sophia NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 2 - farm overrun, Shane killed, hooded Michonne intro, prison in the distance, "ricktatorship" speech NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 3 mid-season - failed Woodbury extraction, Governor's Meryl/Daryl pitfight announcement NOT A CLIFF HANGER mostly because it's mid-season

Season 3 - Woodbury massacre, Andrea's dead, residents join prison group, what happened to the Governor? NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 4 mid-season - Hershel killed, Governor killed, prison overrun, Rick & Carl leaving "don't look back" NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 4 - trapped in Terminus train car, "screwing" with wrong people line CLOSE TO A CLIFF HANGER MORE OF SET UP FOR THE NEW SEASON

Season 5 mid-season - Beth dies, Morgan randomly shows up 2 seasons later trailing Rick's groups recent steps NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 5 - Douglas gets killed, Rick shoots Pete, Morgan shows up at Alexandria "Rick?" NOT A CLIFF HANGER

Season 6 mid-season - Daryl, Abraham, Sasha confronted by Negan's crew on road, Rick & co. begin walking through herd and Sam calling "mom" NOT A CLIFF HANGER, mid-season, but still incredibly lame and should have been a warning to us all that no one's driving the train. lol

Season 6 - Who got Lucille's wrath?

Nope, never used that cliffhanger thing before in this series.

edit: and no, I'm not a fan of the cliffhanger ending here. I agree it's lame.

Almost none of those endings are cliffhangers. When the writers finish their main story, their main theme for the season, it's not a cliffhanger. Giving hints to where the new season will start, a portend of what's to come, AFTER completing the story line in entirely acceptable. Falling short of completing the story as a ratings grab? Not so much.

Given that there are always story lines to be completed and they want cohesiveness they will carry things over, but this was absolutely insulting.

Negan delivered his lines well and was almost likeable, but didn't really have the physical presence I'd expect from someone who likes to beat peoples' heads in with a baseball bat.

I know Hollywood likes everyone to be skinny these days, regardless of role, but they should have gone with someone a little bulkier IMO. Negan is a power-hitting first baseman, not a lead-off shortstop.

Almost none of those endings are cliffhangers. When the writers finish their main story, their main theme for the season, it's not a cliffhanger. Giving hints to where the new season will start, a portend of what's to come, AFTER completing the story line in entirely acceptable. Falling short of completing the story as a ratings grab? Not so much.

Given that there are always story lines to be completed and they want cohesiveness they will carry things over, but this was absolutely insulting.

That seems a lot like what Kirkman and Gimple said last night. Main story/theme ended, next season is a new story. So I guess last night wasn't a cliffhanger by your definition, if the writers and producers say the story ended?

And how you can say the prison being completely overrun with Carl dragging injured Rick away while he says "don't look back" isn't a cliffhanger is beyond me. Or Morgan showing up at Alexandria saying "Rick?" as the episode ends. Or them starting their walk through the herd while elsewhere Daryl & co. are confronted by Negan's gang. Midseason or season end doesn't matter, by very definition those are cliffhangers...dramatic scenarios left without resolution for the next installment.

cliffhanger

noun

a melodramatic adventure serial in which each installment ends in suspense in order to interest the reader or viewer in the next installment.

Again, I hate they ended it that way, but you can't redefine "cliffhanger" to fit your argument.

I feel lied to and deceived.

Andrew Lincoln felt sick to his stomach about the episode?! Gut-wrenching? :eyeroll:

Just garbage. Garbage writing. It saddens me because I feel like the show is going down the ter and it's long been my favorite show.

The Glenn dumpster scene.

Burning the hoard in the river.

Daryl blowing up the biker gang with a rocket launcher.

Denise replacing Abe.

Now this "cliffhanger".

None of these scenes or anything close to it would have been included in the earlier seasons. They're laughable scenes and I've never felt this show was at that level in the past.