• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns

94 posts in this topic

so the print-runs aren't based on orders through previews by shops, but rather, by what the creators think demand will be? (honestly, i don't know..I had always assumed they were based on shop orders and if extra were printed, that might come out of someone else's pocket)

Oh, no, no. The print runs are based on what is ordered by LCSs, but there is a bit of overprint on top of the LCS orders that the creators / Image decide on. The overprint is obviously a bit more for #1s than other issues.

i'm surprised they're so low honestly, but i guess none of those titles pump out a stream of variants to get retailers to order more to qualify for them and none of them are available at the "newstand" at Borders, etc. or elsewhere (although I assume that market is miniscule).

WD in TPB form is one of the best selling TPB series out there, no?

Yes, all those books do very well in TPB and HC. Chew is a NY Times best seller. The Walking Dead trades and Hardcovers sales alone probably made Kirkman a millionaire (I'd think).

RMA's diatribe,

:taptaptap:

I expect that from the koolaid drinkers...not you.

;)

I find koolaid sickeningly sweet.

But I do like me some grape soda. At about 18000 calories a can it is something i try to avoid though.

RMA, I blame you for me not hoarding enough copies of Skullkickers 1 that I could have paid the mortgage with. I was in the middle of responding to a few of your posts when I realized it was 11:15 and the nearest comic shop had already been open for like 15 minutes. by the time i waddled over there they were down to two spine ticked copies. the guy at the register said someone had come in and cleaned them out like 5 minutes earlier and bought like 15 or 20 copies.

that greedy SOB/POS could have been me!

I blame YOU!!! that's like $250 out of my pocket!

RMA, I blame you for me not hoarding enough copies of Skullkickers 1 that I could have paid the mortgage with. I was in the middle of responding to a few of your posts when I realized it was 11:15 and the nearest comic shop had already been open for like 15 minutes. by the time i waddled over there they were down to two spine ticked copies. the guy at the register said someone had come in and cleaned them out like 5 minutes earlier and bought like 15 or 20 copies.

that greedy SOB/POS could have been me!

I blame YOU!!! that's like $250 out of my pocket!

lol

You're on a roll today. You've made like three funnies. That's not like you. ;)

Someone slip happy juice into your coffee?

I don't agree with this at all. Buying back issues has little to no effect on the new comics publishing industry.

---------------

I disagree. A strong back issue market means less stuff in the $1 or less boxes and that means fewer folks taking a pass on what is offered on the rack and figured they can get most of it later as overstock at a deep discount. I dunno how much of the market that is, but it is me.

Um.

Ok.

Got any real data to prove that...?

Or is just pure...watch me now...speculation?

Because the people who buy back issues and the people who buy new issues, oddly enough, really aren't the same people, with some exception (but not much.)

I see people buy new and old back issues all the time every week in the shops in tow.

So you get hooked on John's GL and you want to buy all 30 back issues? You start reading the X-men and decide you want to read death of Phoenix?

You read a cool Count Nefaria story in Avengers and then want to see read the Byrne fight?

You like the new FF and the store owner tells you to check out Byrne's run.

Titans fans get sent to buy cheap and undervalued Perez/Wolfman stuff.

I missed out on Annihilation at the time. I have read several issues referencing it in Nova this past couple of years. I went back and bought just about every issue to read. I guess I could have gotten trades, but I prefer the comics. It seems to me that quite a few current modern readers buy back issues I seem them every week I am in the shops in town. I think you might have meant older back issues maybe.

I don't agree with this at all. Buying back issues has little to no effect on the new comics publishing industry.

---------------

I disagree. A strong back issue market means less stuff in the $1 or less boxes and that means fewer folks taking a pass on what is offered on the rack and figured they can get most of it later as overstock at a deep discount. I dunno how much of the market that is, but it is me.

Um.

Ok.

Got any real data to prove that...?

Or is just pure...watch me now...speculation?

Because the people who buy back issues and the people who buy new issues, oddly enough, really aren't the same people, with some exception (but not much.)

I see people buy new and old back issues all the time every week in the shops in tow.

So you get hooked on John's GL and you want to buy all 30 back issues? You start reading the X-men and decide you want to read death of Phoenix?

You read a cool Count Nefaria story in Avengers and then want to see read the Byrne fight?

You like the new FF and the store owner tells you to check out Byrne's run.

Titans fans get sent to buy cheap and undervalued Perez/Wolfman stuff.

I missed out on Annihilation at the time. I have read several issues referencing it in Nova this past couple of years. I went back and bought just about every issue to read. I guess I could have gotten trades, but I prefer the comics. It seems to me that quite a few current modern readers buy back issues I seem them every week I am in the shops in town. I think you might have meant older back issues maybe.

That's true, but for me, I don't, for example, buy either X-Men book (although I did every month for years from let's say 1993 - 1998 until the whole "onslaught" thing just annoyed me in the middle and I gave up) nowadays because I just feel like an i**di**t paying $2.99 or $3.99 or whatever it is only to see the same book in the dollar box 2 months later 90% of the time (and, in fact, for me it's a 3 for $2 box because I usually buy a stack of stuff and I get a quantity discount, putting aside the 50 cent box places I hit too). ditto spiderman (though I stopped buying new amazings off the rack earlier --- right around the clone saga). one of these days I am going to get organized and take a look and see just how much of the missed issues of X-Men, Uncanny and Amazing Spiderman that came out after I gave up buying them new I have accumulated through box diving to see what I am missing. I suspect I have at least 90% of those three titles absent the few expensive ones in the run. Of course, I have barely read any of them as I only find the time to read one-shots or easy to follow stories, not 18-43 part cross-over events. If they weren't so cheap as back issues I would most likely still be buying them monthly like I do with WD and a couple of others.

>>Nothing else from Robert will garner price increases.<<

not even this?

455710-449795_tech_jacket_001_001_super_large.jpg

I like the idea of a crappy unknown book like Tech Jacket having the first true appearance of Invincible.

or this?

7-1.jpg

or this?

12964_4_001.jpg

or this?

Battle_Pope_01_cover.jpg

I could easily add 24 more.

I think you underestimate Mr Kirkman's future fanbase and potential.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

That's true, but for me, I don't, for example, buy either X-Men book (although I did every month for years from let's say 1993 - 1998 until the whole "onslaught" thing just annoyed me in the middle and I gave up) nowadays because I just feel like an i**di**t paying $2.99 or $3.99 or whatever it is only to see the same book in the dollar box 2 months later 90% of the time (and, in fact, for me it's a 3 for $2 box because I usually buy a stack of stuff and I get a quantity discount, putting aside the 50 cent box places I hit too). ditto spiderman (though I stopped buying new amazings off the rack earlier --- right around the clone saga). one of these days I am going to get organized and take a look and see just how much of the missed issues of X-Men, Uncanny and Amazing Spiderman that came out after I gave up buying them new I have accumulated through box diving to see what I am missing. I suspect I have at least 90% of those three titles absent the few expensive ones in the run. Of course, I have barely read any of them as I only find the time to read one-shots or easy to follow stories, not 18-43 part cross-over events. If they weren't so cheap as back issues I would most likely still be buying them monthly like I do with WD and a couple of others.

I'll buy both new and back issues but not necessarily each time I visit my LCS. The problem with waiting for new books to make the $1 box (around here at least) is that the stores aren't ordering in the quantities that they used to. There are times where there will be 15 to 20 books (not titles, books) on the New Release shelf on Thursday. The shops here are ordering pretty much to fill pull lists with very few extras for the walk-in customers. Most of those titles are the big names also (Bats, Supes, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.). If you wanted a book like Skullkickers you would have had to ask them to order it.

I'll buy both new and back issues but not necessarily each time I visit my LCS. The problem with waiting for new books to make the $1 box (around here at least) is that the stores aren't ordering in the quantities that they used to. There are times where there will be 15 to 20 books (not titles, books) on the New Release shelf on Thursday. The shops here are ordering pretty much to fill pull lists with very few extras for the walk-in customers. Most of those titles are the big names also (Bats, Supes, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.). If you wanted a book like Skullkickers you would have had to ask them to order it.

+1

>>Nothing else from Robert will garner price increases.<<

not even this?

455710-449795_tech_jacket_001_001_super_large.jpg

I like the idea of a crappy unknown book like Tech Jacket having the first true appearance of Invincible.

or this?

7-1.jpg

or this?

12964_4_001.jpg

or this?

Battle_Pope_01_cover.jpg

I could easily add 24 more.

I think you underestimate Mr Kirkman's future fanbase and potential.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

and I think your head is stuck in the sand. Buy all the non walking dead Kirkman books you want and sit on them, I'll stick to the regular Invincible 1 and not the Larry's edition.