• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

I personally like FK's list. Had both buying and selling dealings with most of the people on it and everythings always went we'll. I've never sold/dealt with Vincent at Metro, but have bought/dealt with Frank a lot and, although I may get flamed for this, he's str8 up in my book.

IMO I'd also add the following people...

Harley Yee

Superworld Ted

Stephen Ritter (Worldwide)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality)

Jamie Graham (Crackers)

Where's Ted?

I'll take these in order.

I assume you mean Ted VanLiew (Superworld)? I love Ted as a person. I disagree with his restoration disclosure issues as I've many cases where he says he's either missed it or books have reappeared on his wall that I know he knows are restored. Recently though, he did say he is going to take a class with Susan Cicconi to better spot restoration and to track better his books as he says that this has been an inventory mistake or that he thought the restoration was removed from certain books, but not all of it has been, and he is not able to determine whether or not it is all gone.

Over the last few years, I've become increasingly depressed about the number of dishonest dealers in the hobby.

I'm assuming the fix I made was what you meant to say?

yes, thanks.

How have your dealings been with r1970d. Just curious.

:baiting:

:jokealert:

I love Roy.

Brian, good list. Not sure if your list was in any order but I certainly agree with Joe Verenault and Bob Storms being at the top.

I'd like to hear your comments on Vinnie. I used to buy from Vinnie when he was Vincent's Collectibles and I liked him but I always assumed when he went to Metropolis, he went to the Dark Side. To me, he is now the consumate salesman, only interested in the money. The only transaction I've had with Vinny at Metropolis is from offering him some books. You need to judge a dealer not only with how he sells but with how he buys. Does he give you a fair price and treat you with respect ? In my transaction with Vinny I would have to say no. He did the typical crying about how my books were worthless and lowballed me. Interesting that a book I had bought from him as Vincent's Collectibles went from NM to Fine now that I wanted to sell it.

My dealings with Vinny is that he has always been exceptionally straight forward with me, even when we've bitterly disagreed. He has never told me something that I later learned to be a lie.

Vinny hasn't always been the most respectful guy when I've sold to him, but he has been honest in what he can pay and why. We've done many successful transactions, and I feel he's always been upfront.

Lowballing, well, I don't count that in honesty only because there'd be a ton of "honest" guys here on the boards who are guilty of that.

I would add Rick Whitelock.

I didn't include he and Nick (FT) but they probably should be on the list. I mean christ, if you can't trust Nick Beckett the world is ending. The dude is super honest to a fault and has impeccable integrity.

I didn't include he and Nick (FT) but they probably should be on the list. I mean christ, if you can't trust Nick Beckett the world is ending. The dude is super honest to a fault and has impeccable integrity.

It's my moral compass being wound too tight. :P

And thanks a bunch for the kind words, BK. :foryou:

Joe Verenault

Bob Storms

Gary Platt

Greg Reece

Jim Payette

Doug Sulipa

Dale Roberts

Vincent Zurzolo

Al Stoltz

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets

Richard Evans

Well said, Brian - and I know exactly where you are coming from.

With one exception, I agree with your list (though I don't know Gary Platt or Greg Reece, and have never done business with Sulipa).

While experiences will certainly vary, here are some other regular dealers I personally know and also support:

Harley Yee

Superworld Ted

Redbeard (Ron P.)

Ed Robertson

Stephen Ritter (Worldwide)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality)

Bunky Brothers (Brian and Ken)

Jamie Graham (Crackers)

And a few others I'm probably forgetting... but in 30 years of collecting Golden Age, I've been able to weed out the "good guys" from the "bad guys", though the experience has been extremely painful at times (and it sounds like you're having one of those periods of disillusionment now).

Hang in there, buddy...

I can't include Jamie, only because of significant restoration issues and disclosure.

I didn't include Brent, only because of some issues with the disclosure and pressing, not that I feel he had to, but there are certainly undertones at one point he was pressing and not disclosing, despite NOD etc. That strikes me as unfair. That being said, I find Brent to be exceptionally honest in his dealings.

I wanted to include Ritter in the worst way. Truly. The whole shilling thing on ebay kinda ruined that -- and I spoke to Matt about it and need to speak to steve in NY about it too.

Superworld -- see my other comments

Harley -- yes

Ed Robertson -- absolutely yes

Bunky -- don't know enough about.

I know your feelings on Vinny, I'm just sharing my experience.

Greg Reece is a board member... I suggest you get to know him, there's not a finer more upstanding guy than Greg.

I'd like to think that truly dishonest, disreputable, and crooked dealers wouldn't stay in business for very long. But we all know that's a fantasy: they're out there, no doubt...but so are collectors who will buy a book from Satan himself if the deal is right, along with buyers who don't know any better, or don't care. So the customer base is at least partially responsible for their continued existence.

That being said, Marc Nathan & John Haines (both of whom do larger shows) and Bill Wahl (of Comix Connection in PA, who doesn't do shows) would easily make my personal list. All are stand-up guys in my book!

Mike,

My point is exactly that. If we want to be about ethics, we need to make decisions about who we will and won't deal with.

I like both Marc and John. I just don't know John well enough. With Marc, i get conflicting reports, but my dealings with him have all been smooth and above board. I didn't include store owners in this list.

+1

Thanks again to Foolkiller for starting this thread - it's important to have open and frank discussions about the hobby, and hopefully the Moderators who police this forum will understand that.

Brian asked to share experiences, so here's a positive one - I've told it before, but it's an experience that I will never forget, and I understand it's in contrast to the thread above.

Many years ago, Harley Yee had the Larson copy of Planet Comics 5. We talked on the phone, agreed on the price, and he was going to bring it to an upcoming convention for me and I would purchase it in full (for cash) then.

Unfortunately, I got caught up with an emergency at work and could not make the convention. Technically I suppose, I was then in breach of our agreement albeit via circumstances beyond my contol.

A friend got back to me that another collector was behind Harley's booth and saw the book, subsequently offering him more money than it was learned that I was going to pay him.

Harley refused the offer and later mailed me the book, and I made payment in full.

I have been a loyal customer (and friend) ever since.

Planet5.jpg

:hi: Brian

No problems with anyone on that list in my dealings, but you indicated a willingness to discuss why someone made the list...I did not recognize several names. It may be that I have dealt with their store/site and did not learn their name, or it could be I am finding a new source for books :whee:

Could you tell us a little about the following gentlemen and why they made your list?

Joe Verenault

Al Stoltz

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets

My thanks (worship) and also echoing the concern expressed by others that there was not some sort of unpleasant triggering event for this thread and your current sales thread :wishluck:

Joe Verenault is super honest. Nobody has a bad word to say about the guy. He's straight up, takes returns on books easily and without hassle... and deals fairly with people in a completely respectful manner.

Al Stoltz refreshing in his honesty. Completely refreshing. Straight shooter -- never lies. And you can just tell with him, get in a conversation with him, he's a fierce competitor but not in it to deceive people or make a buck at any cost.

Dave Reynolds: Same as Al. Great guy, believes in treating people fairly and paying fairly even when they don't know.

Brian Peets: Big reputation for honesty among a lot of other fellow dealers. Personality a little dry and he's apparently wary of other dealers buying from him, but overall a very positive rep in the biz.

Joe V's rep among other dealers is also pristine. People always praise him. That says a lot.