• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

Jeff, this is just a quirk that Brian Peets has regarding pricing on books whenever new information comes to light or sometimes after he has made a sale.

Not saying at all that I agree with his posture, but just pointing out it's a quirk.

Brian Peets is A-1 in my book.

Backing out of deals is a "quirk"? Interesting.

The probation thread in the marketplace is filled with quirky individuals.

lol

Yeah no doubt about it.

That's one of the more amazing euphemisms I have seen in a long time.

If this is a "quirk" then Mel Gibson really was just practicing "alternative dispute resolution tactics" with his ex, and Michael Jackson really is just "taking a break from this reality for a while".

Young-Frankenstein-Ritz-1.gif

Joe Verenault

Bob Storms

Gary Platt

Greg Reece

Jim Payette

Doug Sulipa

Dale Roberts

Vincent Zurzolo

Al Stoltz

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets

Richard Evans

Well said, Brian - and I know exactly where you are coming from.

With one exception, I agree with your list (though I don't know Gary Platt or Greg Reece, and have never done business with Sulipa).

While experiences will certainly vary, here are some other regular dealers I personally know and also support:

Harley Yee

Superworld Ted

Redbeard (Ron P.)

Ed Robertson

Stephen Ritter (Worldwide)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality)

Bunky Brothers (Brian and Ken)

Jamie Graham (Crackers)

And a few others I'm probably forgetting... but in 30 years of collecting Golden Age, I've been able to weed out the "good guys" from the "bad guys", though the experience has been extremely painful at times (and it sounds like you're having one of those periods of disillusionment now).

Hang in there, buddy...

I can't include Jamie, only because of significant restoration issues and disclosure.

I didn't include Brent, only because of some issues with the disclosure and pressing, not that I feel he had to, but there are certainly undertones at one point he was pressing and not disclosing, despite NOD etc. That strikes me as unfair. That being said, I find Brent to be exceptionally honest in his dealings.

I wanted to include Ritter in the worst way. Truly. The whole shilling thing on ebay kinda ruined that -- and I spoke to Matt about it and need to speak to steve in NY about it too.

Superworld -- see my other comments

Harley -- yes

Ed Robertson -- absolutely yes

Bunky -- don't know enough about.

I know your feelings on Vinny, I'm just sharing my experience.

Greg Reece is a board member... I suggest you get to know him, there's not a finer more upstanding guy than Greg.

agree with your comment about Jamie.

Why isn't Richard Munchin of Tomorrows Treasures on the list? :insane:

He can be grumpy, but I'm not aware of unethical behavior. His eBay listings are very detailed in regards to work done to books. He has his own definitions of what's conservation and what's restoration, but regardless, all work is detailed.

No, not always. In fact, the first dealer other dealers alerted me to avoid was Richie Muchin for failure to disclose resto.

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

This brings to mind the old saying that there are three sides to every story: his, hers, and the truth. Complicated enough as it is, without adding a fourth side: what a non-party to the transaction heard (or thinks he heard) second-hand. Just sayin' ......

:foryou:

He can be grumpy, but I'm not aware of unethical behavior. His eBay listings are very detailed in regards to work done to books. He has his own definitions of what's conservation and what's restoration, but regardless, all work is detailed.

I personally purchased a book from Richie through ebay with at least two-dozen amateurish hits of color touch. The book was listed as having absolutely no conservation or restoration. It may have just been carelessness on his part (as the work was extensive and easy to spot), and he did cover the cost of return shipping. But I personally have no use for this approach to doing biz.

Did something happen recently, Brian?

In my real life we are supposed to put honesty and integrity first, not be about greed. I am highly critical of my colleagues who are in it for the money and sacrifice their clients' interests. That's not what we're supposed to be about.

In comics, if we're not part of the solution with regards to honesty, we're part of the problem. I used to stand for this. I stopped because of political reasons. It's time to do what's right, and that doesn't mean flame wars or unnecessary accusations or belittling people.

It means being honest, straight forward and having an open discussion about the realities of our hobby, and not hiding in the shadows. But this means the positive and the negative. So I'm more interested in the positive and bringing to light why I praise certain dealers. And I want others to share that experience as well. Mine is not the only opinion and I want people to use it as an opportunity to praise, not bash, others.

That's one of the more amazing euphemisms I have seen in a long time.

Well, feel free to pile on and score points all you want, but I was making a general comment and not discussing a single transaction that I was unaware of (until now) and didn't know any details on either.

To repeat, I did say that I was not agreeing with his posture.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Andrew Cretella (GACollectibles) and Gary Coloubono (forgive the spelling) Moondog

Andy isn't "full time" to me and Gary I don't know well enough.

I do - Moondog (Gary C.) is outstanding.

Re: Greg Reece...what is his handle on the Board (and does he deal in GA)?

I once ordered some books from Ted @superworld, and he sent me wrong books- to compensate he not only picked up the return postage, but also gave me a $20 gift certificate towards future purchases, which i think was a very nice gesture.

similarly with Frank @metro: He was very corteous and understanding when I failed to make payment once.

I'm not a particularly honest/stand-up guy. Glad there are dealers who are, though (thumbs u

Andrew Cretella (GACollectibles) and Gary Coloubono (forgive the spelling) Moondog

Andy isn't "full time" to me and Gary I don't know well enough.

I do - Moondog (Gary C.) is outstanding.

Re: Greg Reece...what is his handle on the Board (and does he deal in GA)?

gregreece

The trouble with a discussion like this is the subjectivity of our personal experiences. It's also easy to confuse "likability" with "honesty & integrity" -- sometimes they go hand-in-hand, sometimes not. For instance, I have some old buddies and acquaintances (not comic book dealers) who can be great guys to hang out with (funny, personable, real characters, and they'd go to bat for me in an instant if the chips were down), but who are, shall we say, not always 100% on the right side of the law. Conversely, there was a legendary old-school store owner and dealer here in Baltimore who had the following notice posted on his check-out counter:

"Back issue prices are subject to change upon examination at the cash register".

In other words: "I'm too damn lazy to re-price my back-stock, so be prepared to pay more, sucker." He was honest alright...but not exactly a sweetheart...

Some dealers are having tougher times making ends meet and higher costs of doing business via convention costs have lead to ethic issues. Most people should assume any mega key not graded is restored. I've ran into many ungraded

AF #15 copies which definitely were restored and being sold with NOT all restoration being disclosed.

I wanted to include Ritter in the worst way. Truly. The whole shilling thing on ebay kinda ruined that -- and I spoke to Matt about it and need to speak to steve in NY about it too.

I was harshly critical in the shilling thread, and yet it's my understanding Ritter isn't involved in the eBay side of things. Confirm/deny?

This brings to mind the old saying that there are three sides to every story: his, hers, and the truth. Complicated enough as it is, without adding a fourth side: what a non-party to the transaction heard (or thinks he heard) second-hand. Just sayin' ......

:foryou:

I heard it first-hand. Not only from my friend, but I read the email exchange between him and Brian where Brian backs out of the deal and states that he'll be mailing a refund check for payments already made.

No, not always. In fact, the first dealer other dealers alerted me to avoid was Richie Muchin for failure to disclose resto.

Good to know. I've never dealt with him personally, just aware of his detailed eBay listings.