• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

thanks goodness the list is about good/honest dealers because if it was the other way around, we wouldn't have enough room to list the crooks.

+1

This is really helpful to noobs like myself. I just hope one of the borderline dealers doesn't appear with a "why am I not on there?", starting a flame war and complete thread derail :wishluck:

Rick/Gator: Super nice guy and will work with you on any book in his inventory. He offered me one of the nicest GA books around. It would have taken me a very long time to pay it off and I decided not to purchase it, but he was as nice and patient as anyone could be.

Harley: A super good guy who is very fair and trustworthy.

thanks goodness the list is about good/honest dealers because if it was the other way around, we wouldn't have enough room to list the crooks.

+1

This is really helpful to noobs like myself. I just hope one of the borderline dealers doesn't appear with a "why am I not on there?", starting a flame war and complete thread derail :wishluck:

Problem is, you have to take everyone's experience as just that, their experience.

Someone may have caught a guy on a good day, or a bad day, or their actions may be the exception or they may be the rule.

There are guys mentioned on the positive list that have done some really questionable things, and guys mentioned so far in a negative light that I have had nothing but great dealings with.

So you are still going to have to make up your own mind.

I would add Harley to the list and agree with the majority of the original list :)

I agree with this. I just don't know Harley quite well enough. But I support this.

Harley is a straight up guy in my opinion. I have never seen or heard of him doing anything unethical at all. And I have spent quite a bit of time with him, and been involved in several deals with him.

He's a nice guy but in my experiences with him his grading is hit or miss. I'd certainly buy from him at a con when the books I'm interested in are in front of me, but wouldn't consider mail order because of having to explain and return.

Put grading aside for a minute, this is a discussion about a more fundamental issue.

As for Lauterbach, no, he wouldn't make my list. Too many stories out there.

He's a nice guy but in my experiences with him his grading is hit or miss. I'd certainly buy from him at a con when the books I'm interested in are in front of me, but wouldn't consider mail order because of having to explain and return.

Put grading aside for a minute, this is a discussion about a more fundamental issue.

That is true, grading can be subjective and isn't necessarily a commentary on the person's integrity.

There are some dealers though, that use their grading as a negotiating tool, such as one dealer who's first words are usually "Well, it's restored" when GA books are offered to him for sale, regardless of whether the books are actually restored. lol

Such as? How can you be honest and reputable if you can't consistently grade? The two go hand in hand.

+1

Problem is, you have to take everyone's experience as just that, their experience.

Someone may have caught a guy on a good day, or a bad day, or their actions may be the exception or they may be the rule.

There are guys mentioned on the positive list that have done some really questionable things, and guys mentioned so far in a negative light that I have had nothing but great dealings with.

Absolutely agree that I have to make up my own mind, but a seller's reputation (i.e., other people's opinion about him) helps me to know when my guard should be really up, or only sort-of up lol

I'm not a particularly honest/stand-up guy. Glad there are dealers who are, though (thumbs u

Was something lost in translation here?

lol half kidding, half just being honest (ironically enough). I'm trying to improve though- so far, i've honored all my boards transactions, which is a start i suppose (thumbs u

wouldn't it be great if the shady dealers would atleast be upfront about their shadiness, instead of masquerading as honest people.. "I have some sweet books, but I'm a complete weasel- take it or leave it"

Such as? How can you be honest and reputable if you can't consistently grade? The two go hand in hand.

Grading is subjective. Even two solid long standing board members might disagree on grade. That doesn't make them dishonest, that makes them different.

Whether you are talking about CGC, F_T or Harley there is no grading "rule"...only opinions.

I think Brian is talking about trusting somebody's ethics, not their opinion.

Two different things.

+1

To put it in proper perspective, then, this thread is a Guide. And subjective. I think I've got all the big ones covered with that

Consistent overgrading could be attributed to a bunch of things: apathy, ignorance, incompetence, wishful-thinking, etc. And yes, dishonesty, too, I suppose.

I have had great dealings with Doug Sulipa and Bob Storms. Also with Ted, Dale and Harley.

I've bought a few books from Metro that I've sent back because I've disagreed with the grade, and they've taken them back, no problem. I don't usually go to them often anymore, though.

I've never run into the resto problem with any of the dealers mentioned above, but then again, the types of books I collect may not be obvious candidates for that sort of thing (excpet some BA, I suppose.)

Are there any stories of Doug, Bob, Ted, Dale, Harley or Metro missing resto?

And, more importantly, since everyone is human and can make mistakes, do they always take the books back if resto is discovered?

For the record I've only had one bad dealing with Harley. Five years ago he had a VF Batman #121 at the NYCC that I really wanted. It didn't sell at the show so I called him a week later and bought it. When it arrived and upon examination it looked no better than a Fine. It was not the same book at the NYCC or the one I mentioned to him over the phone. He did let me return it so there's really no more I could ask for.

Are there any stories of Doug, Bob, Ted, Dale, Harley or Metro missing resto? Yes

And, more importantly, since everyone is human and can make mistakes, do they always take the books back if resto is discovered? In my experience, yes

See responses in Red.