• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

re: earlier comments on Superworld Ted being a loose grader and not spotting restoration.

Agreed there, but he misses things the other way too. Here's another brief tale:

Recently, Ted had a sweet copy of Prize Comics 5 on his display. It was priced kinda high, and when looking at the book I saw a code on the front and a name stamp on the back, and instantly recognized it as the San Franscisco pedigree copy.

I showed Ted and he was very surprised ("You're right!").

The FMV was probably near double his asking price, so when I related that I was still interested in the book and what did he want for it, he pointed at the price sticker and said "That!".

Sold.

Prize5SF.jpg

Andrew Cretella (GACollectibles) and Gary Coloubono (forgive the spelling) Moondog

Andy isn't "full time" to me and Gary I don't know well enough.

Gary is the total sweetheart whose booth everyone rushes in Chicago every year.

I agree with keeping this positive...I was just talking to a friend last night on the same subject. We both had some less than fun recent dealings with a comic book "person"....but I said to my friend and I truly believe this...that despite the failings of a few people who are less than honest and more than greedy, most of the people I deal with in the hobby are terrific.

It's just the less than perfect ones who tend to stick in the front of your mind;) So a positive thread, or positive experiences should help! :foryou:

I'm not a particularly honest/stand-up guy. Glad there are dealers who are, though (thumbs u

Was something lost in translation here?

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

This brings to mind the old saying that there are three sides to every story: his, hers, and the truth. Complicated enough as it is, without adding a fourth side: what a non-party to the transaction heard (or thinks he heard) second-hand. Just sayin' ......

:foryou:

I heard it first-hand. Not only from my friend, but I read the email exchange between him and Brian where Brian backs out of the deal and states that he'll be mailing a refund check for payments already made.

Good enough for me Jeff, thanks.

Thanks again to Foolkiller for starting this thread - it's important to have open and frank discussions about the hobby, and hopefully the Moderators who police this forum will understand that.

Brian asked to share experiences, so here's a positive one - I've told it before, but it's an experience that I will never forget, and I understand it's in contrast to the thread above.

Many years ago, Harley Yee had the Larson copy of Planet Comics 5. We talked on the phone, agreed on the price, and he was going to bring it to an upcoming convention for me and I would purchase it in full (for cash) then.

Unfortunately, I got caught up with an emergency at work and could not make the convention. Technically I suppose, I was then in breach of our agreement albeit via circumstances beyond my contol.

A friend got back to me that another collector was behind Harley's booth and saw the book, subsequently offering him more money than it was learned that I was going to pay him.

Harley refused the offer and later mailed me the book, and I made payment in full.

I have been a loyal customer (and friend) ever since.

Planet5.jpg

I agree Harley is a stand up guy.I only see Harley three times a year,yet he knows my name and greets me with a "Good to see you again Dave" Of all the thousands of people he sees around the world and he remembers me? That to me says alot.

His prices may be a little more aggressive than some,but it more than pays for the quality of customer service and quality of books he sells.

I agree with all the names on the initial list that I've dealt with. I would like to add Dave Kapelka. Not only one of the genuinely nicest guys I've dealt with, but every transaction has been fair and I've always gotten excellent quality.

Man, I wonder how long this thread will last.... hm

as soon as i saw the title that was my first thought

Over/under at 80 pages.

under

should be under. pretty sure this is at least the third time this threads come up in the last six months.

but if we didn't rehash then what would we talk about right? (shrug)

The trouble with a discussion like this is the subjectivity of our personal experiences. It's also easy to confuse "likability" with "honesty & integrity" -- sometimes they go hand-in-hand, sometimes not. For instance, I have some old buddies and acquaintances (not comic book dealers) who can be great guys to hang out with (funny, personable, real characters, and they'd go to bat for me in an instant if the chips were down), but who are, shall we say, not always 100% on the right side of the law. Conversely, there was a legendary old-school store owner and dealer here in Baltimore who had the following notice posted on his check-out counter:

"Back issue prices are subject to change upon examination at the cash register".

In other words: "I'm too damn lazy to re-price my back-stock, so be prepared to pay more, sucker." He was honest alright...but not exactly a sweetheart...

I could take a guess at who this is...

Rick Whitelock/GAtor Is a super nice guy,and will offer you a Coke Zero when given a chance.I have only actually dealt with him one time,but that one time made a huge impression on me.I was in the market for a big key book,he gave me a great deal on it and held onto the book for a couple of months for me to meet him at the SDCC.Integrity and customer service is everything,If someone has a book I want but is questionable I will just wait for someone on my trusted list to have the book.

Regarding honesty and integrity, these are the dealers who I have personally dealt with many times, or who have dealt with people whose opinions I trust implicitly over a period of time. (thumbs u

Bob Storms

Joe Verenault

Doug Sulipa

Richard Evans

John Hauser

Harley Yee

Andy Colman

Jef Hinds

Andy Colman

One of the few full-timers I will still deal with, and even that short list is rapidly diminishing. Way too many big dealers are firmly behind the curve on pricing, which means that any ethical qualms I might have with them are moot.

Brian, good list. Not sure if your list was in any order but I certainly agree with Joe Verenault and Bob Storms being at the top.

I'd like to hear your comments on Vinnie. I used to buy from Vinnie when he was Vincent's Collectibles and I liked him but I always assumed when he went to Metropolis, he went to the Dark Side. To me, he is now the consumate salesman, only interested in the money. The only transaction I've had with Vinny at Metropolis is from offering him some books. You need to judge a dealer not only with how he sells but with how he buys. Does he give you a fair price and treat you with respect ? In my transaction with Vinny I would have to say no. He did the typical crying about how my books were worthless and lowballed me. Interesting that a book I had bought from him as Vincent's Collectibles went from NM to Fine now that I wanted to sell it.

I just sold some books to Vinnie. He was very fair and honest in his dealings with me, and I was satisfied with the prices offered. He's also a nice guy. 2c

Andy Colman

One of the few full-timers I will still deal with, and even that short list is rapidly diminishing. Way too many big dealers are firmly behind the curve on pricing, which means that any ethical qualms I might have with them are moot.

Unquestionably, Andy should be on the list.

Some great stories by Mr. Carey up there, especially the Harley Yee one. That's just stand-up par excellence by Harley.

Thanks for sharing

My experiences with Harley are the same. Very solid.

Differences in grading can be discussed, differences in prices can be acceptable because everyone has their sweet spot.

Integrity is not up for discussion. Harley has a memory like a steel trap and if he promises you something he doesn't forget it.

(thumbs u

I agree with all the names on the initial list that I've dealt with. I would like to add Dave Kapelka. Not only one of the genuinely nicest guys I've dealt with, but every transaction has been fair and I've always gotten excellent quality.

Agree completely, thnx for bringing his name up.

I was fortunate to speak with Dave on several occasions at SDCC this year, but he was just visiting/helping out and only had a small box of stuff with him.

I've obtained some great books from him, but it was long ago.