• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

Jeff, this is just a quirk that Brian Peets has regarding pricing on books whenever new information comes to light or sometimes after he has made a sale.

Not saying at all that I agree with his posture, but just pointing out it's a quirk.

Brian Peets is A-1 in my book.

Define "honest". There are several guys on your list who haven't flat out lied to me or cheated me, but in the course of negotiations their behavior ranged from less than forthcoming to misleading.

In a hobby like ours, with the kind of premium being paid for books, there is bound to be some dirty laundry. I have clients who can do 99 things really, really well. They do one thing wrong, and everyone jumps in and dwells on it. The single biggest mistake I see in crisis situation is when companies assume a defensive mode.

The single best piece of advice I can offer anyone is to admit fault, accept responsibility, and roll up the sleeves in a timely way to take corrective action. Provided these steps are taken in a responsive manner, any misstep can be forgiven and forgotten. It can actually boost personal/corporate reputation for a company to experience missteps because it's when things go wrong that you see the best (or worst) and it's experiences like this where reputation valour is earned.

The opposite to handling things this way is usually predicated on a stubborness and knee-jerk mindset that chooses instead to dwell on incident ratios, rather than correcting misdeeds, and if past observational evidence and online airing is representative of the current state of this hobby, then admitting fault and accepting responsibility is a moral ground of this hobby that all to quickly gets treated like a minefield not many dealers want to traverse, much less step anywhere near.

I do very little buying anymore, but I'm pleased to stand behind both Brian Peets (who owns A-1 Comics in Sacramento, and who brought the Central Valley and River City Collections to market) and Jim Payette (who has uncovered a half-dozen pedigree-worthy collections over the years). Totally honest and honorable individuals, and two of the most consistently accurate graders in the hobby (a statement I make on the basis of scores of purchases with Jim since the early 1980s and hundreds of transactions with Brian since the early 1990s).

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

Jeff, this is just a quirk that Brian Peets has regarding pricing on books whenever new information comes to light or sometimes after he has made a sale.

Not saying at all that I agree with his posture, but just pointing out it's a quirk.

hm Let me see if I have the general idea here. Mr. Peets will renege on an agreed upon deal if he hears a similar copy recently went for a higher price? That would :frustrated: me beyond belief. Now, does it work in the other direction? We agree on a deal, and I find a sale two days later in GPA for 20% less than our agreed upon price. Will he then lower the price for me as he would back out if the situation were reversed? If there is consistency, I might be able to live with that quirk :juggle: However, if it is only a tactic to inflate a deal beyond an agreed upon price that is dishonesty in my mind and I will probably avoid dealings with him. :naughty: Let me know if I have read this right as I have not run into an experience like this before.

Brian has been terrific with me but that is more than a quirk. A deal is a deal and should be honored as such, regardless of outside circumstances.

As a seller, I realize that outside circumstances can change and so I do the best to educate myself before I seal a deal. Once an proverbial "handshake agreement" is made, that is as good as a contract to me.

Brian has been terrific with me but that is more than a quirk. A deal is a deal and should be honored as such, regardless of outside circumstances.

As a seller, I realize that outside circumstances can change and so I do the best to educate myself before I seal a deal. Once an proverbial "handshake agreement" is made, that is as good as a contract to me.

And in fact can be enforced as a contract, especially when down payments have been exchanged already!

I would add Rick Whitelock.

Of course (rick is tops and a friend of mine), but I guess that I still think of him as a hobbyist and not a dealer.

I look at him as the rare combination of both. But, at this point, I think he moves too many books to leave him out of the dealer category.

And in fact can be enforced as a contract, especially when down payments have been exchanged already!

Sizeable payments had been made. Other than this instance, I've heard only good things about Brian. But if I were paying a book off with him, I wouldn't feel secure until I had the book in my hands.

Sizeable payments had been made. Other than this instance, I've heard only good things about Brian. But if I were paying a book off with him, I wouldn't feel secure until I had the book in my hands.

As I said, I don't agree with his posture and if that's the case (payments made) then it's a called strike pure and simple.

I've bought quite a few books off Brian over the years, but always for cash up front, and have been 100% satisfied.

Backing out of deals is a "quirk"? Interesting.

The probation thread in the marketplace is filled with quirky individuals.

Why isn't Richard Munchin of Tomorrows Treasures on the list? :insane:

I try to keep quiet about Richie because it seems many people here on the boards are fond of him, but I wouldn't buy a glass of water from him in the middle of the desert... His views about "restoration" are a bit too progressive for me.

He can be grumpy, but I'm not aware of unethical behavior. His eBay listings are very detailed in regards to work done to books. He has his own definitions of what's conservation and what's restoration, but regardless, all work is detailed.

He can be grumpy, but I'm not aware of unethical behavior. His eBay listings are very detailed in regards to work done to books. He has his own definitions of what's conservation and what's restoration, but regardless, all work is detailed.

Maybe on ebay, but at a Con? You better ask. I sold him a X-men 1 CGC 2.0 SA (CT, Tear Seals and Staples cleaned) and saw it on his table a month later cracked out and priced at 1K. Asked him about it and he said he'd discount it slightly, but no mention of any resto. I also bought a book from him that came back purple from CGC. Again no mention of any resto. from the man in question.

Maybe on ebay, but at a Con? You better ask. I sold him a X-men 1 CGC 2.0 SA (CT, Tear Seals and Staples cleaned) and saw it on his table a month later cracked out and priced at 1K. Asked him about it and he said he'd discount it slightly, but no mention of any resto. I also bought a book from him that came back purple from CGC. Again no mention of any resto. from the man in question.

Well, that's not good.