• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

there isn't much info on GPA. There was one 8.0 sale in 09 for $450 but I think its possible the market on this book has changed, maybe drastically since then. There is a recent recorded sale (Aug 2010) on a restored 4.5 for $200...

Wow, I am shocked at that. Earlier this year a 7.0, sold by Phil Lavine, on Ebay only sold for $100-150. I was the underbidder, but forget what I bid. Another boardie won the book. The book did have a bad dust shadow, which is why I did not bid that high on it. That August sale would make a unrestored 4.5 worth about what that 8.0 was worth in 09.

I wonder if that restored copy is an outlier. I know there is a book I want, and Metro has a restored copy. When I looked the book up in the Heritage achieves their are two copies and they both sold for similar percentages of guide, one is restored the other is not.

Either way, this is a book that has a lot of potential and maybe it is finally getting it's due.

Bruce

I agree with Bruce in that I am willing to go 3X guide for a nice copy of this book. But I am even more partial to #48 so i would actually go higher on that one.

Due to the innuendo cover? I like that one, and over guide for sure, but I think Archie #50 has more room. Now I am more of a GGA collector than Archie collector so my opinion is biased :grin:

Bruce

I think the #48 is just a more "playful" cover and a bit more in keeping with Montana's style. Though the #50 is also a wonderful piece of period pin up art. Obviously I plan to have both in my collection soon. I agree with everyone who thinks that their value is long overdue for a spike so now is the time. It is also a good time to hunt down some raw copies for grading.

I agree with Bruce in that I am willing to go 3X guide for a nice copy of this book. But I am even more partial to #48 so i would actually go higher on that one.

As we speak, a batch from #41-#50 just turned up on eBay.

ARCHIE #50 CGC 5.0

ARCHIE 48 CGC 7.0

#50 is looking quite popular already with bidders. I wonder how high a 5.0 will go?

Let's see if someone on this Forum scoops either of them up. BTW, I too love the cover to Archie #50. It is a highly under-rated GGA cover.

Does anyone think Archie #83 is somewhat iconic? I actually am very partial to that cover too.

Good Girl Art Forum

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

104269.jpg.10102d47afa47d1731320dc3547da250.jpg

As we speak, a batch from #41-#50 just turned up on eBay.

ARCHIE #50 CGC 5.0

ARCHIE 48 CGC 7.0

#50 is looking quite popular already with bidders. I wonder how high a 5.0 will go?

Let's see if someone on this Forum scoops either of them up. BTW, I too love the cover to Archie #50. It is a highly under-rated GGA cover.

Does anyone think Archie #83 is somewhat iconic? I actually am very partial to that cover too.

That #50 seems to presents well. Bidding is already pretty good with four days to go. Hard to tell what will happen though. Sometimes books get bid up pretty high early and then fizzle out at the end, bidders trying to scare away other bidders?

Guess we will see if Holmes has to pay more for a #48 than a #50 :baiting: Let us know which ones you win

PS GGAfan- guess you like my sig line?

Bruce

its must be tough when you sort of have an idea who you are bidding against in an ebay listing.

i don't know if i would want to buy a 5.0 that i can't even look at the inside of. In my opinion it has to be at least a 6+ to be worth slabbing it. but what do i know i'm new to this thing

Slabs are meant to be cracked. If I were to buy a 5.0 Archie 50, the book would be cracked out upon arrival. No complications there :shrug:

hm I still have a Fiction House book to crack out ...

Buy that 5.0, sent it to me and I will send you my nice looking 2.0 and the price difference based on the same percentage of guide :baiting:

Archie sales have been through the roof since about April for me (raw, obviously). Suzies, Katys, even Wilburs, as well as the more mainstream titles. I'm not quite sure why though a lot of the sales are to people in their sixties and I think they are reaching out for the comfort of childhood comics and simpler times. Maybe for the same reason I've read more Archies this year and last than anytime before that. Great books.

PS GGAfan- guess you like my sig line?

I do Bruce! I too own two copies of that Spirit Section, both in semi-high grade. What grade's are yours in? Also, I'm a huge Phantom Lady fan. I sold my copy of #17 back in the early '90s and never had it replaced yet. I need to save my shekels. So I also like the #15 in your sig line. Do you have a sizable GGA collection?

In regards to Archie #50, already at $300 in VG/F, isn't that already 400% +guide (or there-abouts)?

And #48 is at around 2X guide for the F/VF? I somewhat understand the #48, as a 7.0 is a solid grade, and therefore uncommon, but only if Archie Collector's consider it a key??? Would anyone consider #48 a key? #50 is totally iconic.

Any precedent at GPA for sales on those two issues?