• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

PS GGAfan- guess you like my sig line?

I do Bruce! I too own two copies of that Spirit Section, both in semi-high grade. What grade's are yours in? Also, I'm a huge Phantom Lady fan. I sold my copy of #17 back in the early '90s and never had it replaced yet. I need to save my shekels. So I also like the #15 in your sig line. Do you have a sizable GGA collection?

In regards to Archie #50, already at $300 in VG/F, isn't that already 400% +guide (or there-abouts)?

And #48 is at around 2X guide for the F/VF? I somewhat understand the #48, as a 7.0 is a solid grade, and therefore uncommon, but only if Archie Collector's consider it a key??? Would anyone consider #48 a key? #50 is totally iconic.

Any precedent at GPA for sales on those two issues?

I went back to school and sold my collection to pay for it :( Graduated just over a year ago and have managed to acquire a decent amount of books. Unfortunately I will be selling off most of them to pay for my move to Japan. If that Archie #50 goes much higher I might sell my under-copy before I go.

My Spirit sections are guess VG and Fine or maybe it was Fine -(Metro grade on the second one). I also bought the VF one Metro had last year.

The Archie #50 is way higher than the copies I saw sold in the last year. One on ebay I bid on and two I bought off of the boards. Someone posted GPA a few pages back. Maybe the restored copy was not an outlier afterall.

Bruce

GGA fan you make some great points!

I am up to my eyeballs on the auctions 48,49 and 50. On the 48 it may not be Key or iconic but it is a personal favorite of mine, hence the high bid. (why else collect if you can't indulge yourself once in a while? :) ) And I have to say I am being pushed in this auction by several people who also seem to like this book a lot. In my opinion the #50 is now over priced at the grade as I am fairly sure I can find a 5.0 at NYCC in a couple of weeks and have it slabbed for much less than the high bid! On the 49 I think that book is a sleeper and a really nice looking book.

I also have Metropolis bringing along a couple of raw mid grade copies of #41. They have them listed between 4 and 5 but I am just looking for a copy that displays nicely!

I also have Metropolis bringing along a couple of raw mid grade copies of #41. They have them listed between 4 and 5 but I am just looking for a copy that displays nicely!

Jim Payette has several copies of 41 as well

LINK

"Jim Payette has several copies of 41 as well

LINK "

Thanks for the heads up! I am just starting on GA Archies. I'm pretty much a hard core Superman collector actually but I really do love those GA Archie covers!

GGA fan you make some great points!

I am up to my eyeballs on the auctions 48,49 and 50. On the 48 it may not be Key or iconic but it is a personal favorite of mine, hence the high bid. (why else collect if you can't indulge yourself once in a while? :) ) And I have to say I am being pushed in this auction by several people who also seem to like this book a lot. In my opinion the #50 is now over priced at the grade as I am fairly sure I can find a 5.0 at NYCC in a couple of weeks and have it slabbed for much less than the high bid! On the 49 I think that book is a sleeper and a really nice looking book.

Does this mean you are no longer bidding? :wishluck:

I just saw some more slabbed Archies on Ebay from the same seller. They end a day after the big two! Depending on how I do with the #48 I may jump on some of those as well. I always liked the #45 and there is a slabbed #41 as well!

I am backing off the #50 in favor of the #48. Were you going after the #50? I would have backed off if I knew!

no worries man - I might give it a shot - We'll see - its already pretty high. that 48 is a beaut - I hope you snag it. This guy has quite the archie collection. too much to take in all at once!

WOW! The bids on #48 and #49 are really climbing! Way past guide even with a premium for the CGC grading. Well I will know if I got them in a few hours!

Someone just bid up the $50 by $20 in the last hour or two. They have been sitting where they are for think a day or day and a half after all that early action. Will be interesting to see what the action will be like at the end. Some books take off, some barely move. Personally I would expect another $100 or more per book. Lots of attention, so I think there are probably a few bidders with snipes left to go.

Bruce

One other thought. Since these books are all under VF wouldn't you think you'd be able to hunt down some copies at at least 6.0 RAW at NYCC? If they go much higher I suppose I will find out myself. This is beginning to look like a job for...Superman :)

One other thought. Since these books are all under VF wouldn't you think you'd be able to hunt down some copies at at least 6.0 RAW at NYCC? If they go much higher I suppose I will find out myself. This is beginning to look like a job for...Superman :)

its possible, but I've been to pretty much every show this year and didn't see a single copy of 50 - from fair to mint. Very rarely did I see any Archie, from this time period, above middle grade.

Yup! I have a copule of copies of #41 RAW comimg to NYCC from Metropolis but if I lose out tonight I am going to jump VERY hard on that #41 7.0 tomorrow.What do you guys think about the Qualified books? They would certainly display nicely. I may hop on one or two of those as well.