• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

>>I guess we will get the pick of the week after larry see's what has sold the most on wed.<<

Sorry Pirate,

Nice try. Most everyone gets it. I have contributed very little this week. You contribute nothing weekly.

Your attempted insults are by far better than your picks. So far we have gotten clank, some iron man book, morning glories #2 and skullkickers. But hey you hit on Amazing #300 back in the day.

That's enough.

+1

Carnage 1

possibly a major villian in the Venom movie.

I wonder what the print runs are for this and the variants hm

No self-respecting comic connoisseur would touch this. :baiting:

Carnage has been a joke for years. Leave it for the comic plebes.

These characters are in cycles,anything that was popular once has a better chance of being popular again then something unknown. ASM 361`s still bring home money, yeah maybe the comicbook version is a joke but we dont know what the Hollywood magic will do. Look at Ironman considered a second stringer for years now his movies have grossed over a billion dollar dollars, the Venom movies are a few years away anyways. This weeks stuff looks week, Carnage 1 may and I emphasis may have value at a later date. Will you put your child thru college with it? no, will you pay a future morgage with it? no but you may profit 5 dollars from it in the future. That`s about as good as it gets for a few modern books, Skullkickers,Morning Glories and Chew are a rare breed. So when I make my pick every week it means I expect maybe you will make few small dollars profit at a future date and that`s about it. I am doing this for fun. (thumbs u

Just funnin' ya. :foryou:

No problem I respect your opinion , it probally won`t be worth much but given what I had to pick from, that was the best I could come up with for this week. There is no Morning Glories or Skullkickers here. lol

That's the catch. Most weeks there won't be much to pick from. Going back over the last few years, the frequency of hits has been such that this will be a pretty quiet thread most Wednesdays.

Carnage 1

possibly a major villian in the Venom movie.

I wonder what the print runs are for this and the variants hm

No self-respecting comic connoisseur would touch this. :baiting:

Carnage has been a joke for years. Leave it for the comic plebes.

These characters are in cycles,anything that was popular once has a better chance of being popular again then something unknown. ASM 361`s still bring home money, yeah maybe the comicbook version is a joke but we dont know what the Hollywood magic will do. Look at Ironman considered a second stringer for years now his movies have grossed over a billion dollar dollars, the Venom movies are a few years away anyways. This weeks stuff looks week, Carnage 1 may and I emphasis may have value at a later date. Will you put your child thru college with it? no, will you pay a future morgage with it? no but you may profit 5 dollars from it in the future. That`s about as good as it gets for a few modern books, Skullkickers,Morning Glories and Chew are a rare breed. So when I make my pick every week it means I expect maybe you will make few small dollars profit at a future date and that`s about it. I am doing this for fun. (thumbs u

Just funnin' ya. :foryou:

No problem I respect your opinion , it probally won`t be worth much but given what I had to pick from, that was the best I could come up with for this week. There is no Morning Glories or Skullkickers here. lol

That's the catch. Most weeks there won't be much to pick from. Going back over the last few years, the frequency of hits has been such that this will be a pretty quiet thread most Wednesdays.

if there was a "hit" or two every week it would be 1992 or something (ok, that was 10 or 15 "hits" a week) and we'd have six and seven figure frint runs more commonly because people really would be speculating on moderns.

of course, back then, a book that was selling fro $3-$5 was a "hit" because it was selling for 3-5X cover price (which would be like a $10-$15 book now). it was a lot easier for a whole heck of a lot of books to be "hot" and selling for $3-$5 as back issues.

Daredevil 511 and Morning Glories 3 are my two picks this week.

Should be plenty of both. Dealers have had a chance to catch up on anyone wanting Morning Glories, which was probably 50% speculators. With no one to sell the #3's to, as anyone who wants it will be able to buy it, the buzz about it should die pretty fast.

There's two NM #2's for $5 in Pirate's sales thread that no one seems interested in. (edit: looks like someone bought one of them)

Seems that book might already be over.

Bummer, because I have a 9.8 of it on the way from CGC.

Should be plenty of both. Dealers have had a chance to catch up on anyone wanting Morning Glories, which was probably 50% speculators. With no one to sell the #3's to, as anyone who wants it will be able to buy it, the buzz about it should die pretty fast.

There's two NM #2's for $5 in Pirate's sales thread that no one seems interested in. (edit: looks like someone bought one of them)

True enough....the Walking Dead book also seems silly to spec on, but I'll be picking up a few copies...

>>I guess we will get the pick of the week after larry see's what has sold the most on wed.<<

Sorry Pirate,

Nice try. Most everyone gets it. I have contributed very little this week. You contribute nothing weekly.

Your attempted insults are by far better than your picks. So far we have gotten clank, some iron man book, morning glories #2 and skullkickers. But hey you hit on Amazing #300 back in the day.

He did...?

:shrug:

Oh well, one hit every 22 years ain't bad. He's due.

:popcorn:

hmmm whos putting out the "Logan's Run" and "Night of the Living Dead"?... and any idea how they are?
Good question. I cannot figure it out myself...

Logan's Run is from Blue Water, Living Dead is Avatar.

Blue Water tends to start books well but has trouble finishing them.

That's something I ignored. I tend to think "straight up right out of the gate" when speculating. There certainly won't be a book like that every week, thankfully.

Long term is certainly the way to think, but even then books like Carnage don't hold much potential, as the small return makes me want to put my initial investment elsewhere.

(shrug)

Sold a copy of 2 in my thread for $7.50 this week. They were still clocking in at $6-10 on ebay this week. Although the 2nd print is out this week so the price will fall some on them now.

hmmm whos putting out the "Logan's Run" and "Night of the Living Dead"?... and any idea how they are?

Living Dead was my second pick, I debated between that and Carnage.If you look at what the back issue prices of what Jason and Halloween comics go for, Living Dead might be a good long termer.

AUG100805.jpg

Living Dead was my second pick, I debated between that and Carnage.If you look at what the back issue prices of what Jason and Halloween comics go for, Living Dead would be a good long termer.

I'm not really a "horror" fan, so I don't keep up with those books. If they have a track record, why not?

I must confess, I'm not a true speculator. I will certainly give hot books a try if they sound appealing (i.e. Morning Glories) but otherwise I buy what I intend to read. As I've said before, I'm not a zombie fan, so I missed out on Walking Dead. Now that I've read the first trade, I'm bummed that I let it slide by.

Living Dead was my second pick, I debated between that and Carnage.If you look at what the back issue prices of what Jason and Halloween comics go for, Living Dead would be a good long termer.

I'm not really a "horror" fan, so I don't keep up with those books. If they have a track record, why not?

I must confess, I'm not a true speculator. I will certainly give hot books a try if they sound appealing (i.e. Morning Glories) but otherwise I buy what I intend to read. As I've said before, I'm not a zombie fan, so I missed out on Walking Dead. Now that I've read the first trade, I'm bummed that I let it slide by.

I would say after superheroes, horror comics would be number two in popularity if we take EC comics,Vertigo and Walking Dead into consideration as the barometer. ;) good pick there MedicAR.

That's something I ignored. I tend to think "straight up right out of the gate" when speculating. There certainly won't be a book like that every week, thankfully.

Long term is certainly the way to think, but even then books like Carnage don't hold much potential, as the small return makes me want to put my initial investment elsewhere.

(shrug)

I think you have a better shot at picking up a book through a thread here for $3-$4 that will be a $10-$20 book. sometimes the results are immediate, sometimes not.

all i know is that in 2009 I sold a nice copy of NYX 3 for $9 via a 7 day ebay auction. I just sold another copy in the same condition for $50. you don't have to be showing up on wed to make a nice incremement sometimes. Heck, I sold some absolutely perfect copies of WD 9 - 11 to someone here for, I believe, $2.25 each like 3 years ago when nobody here wanted them for cover price.