• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

The SkullKickers people may have created a good book. Good is subjective.

But if Image wants to push it extra hard, they could call their buddy Larry who has an 'in' with lots of folks on the CGC board and promote it as HOT. An underordered book gets rumored as HOT, gets sold out at retail and Image has done their job. They sold it. All of it.

What they hope is people stay with it. Generally that doesn't happen, but, it makes a few more issues of the book feasible to publish and then limp on through to the next big thing.

Six of them have sold. Six.

Can six people buying a book in this fashion make it that valuable? Will that cause a ton of others to buy a new comic for that price?

If so, scammers should start 6 new eBay accounts and start making a fortune.

Edit: It was six auctions. Many of those auctions had multiple copies for sale.

However, it is only about a dozen people. With many of them buying up multiple copies. w**w(59), o**C(50), and k**n(101) have all bought at least 3 copies. With some other eBay id's buying multiples too.

My point. These are speculator buys. NOT fans who are interested in the book.

My advice. If you get a copy this Wednesday. Think Skullkickers and sell fast.

>>My point. These are speculator buys. NOT fans who are interested in the book.<<

Pre-orders in my shop are quite high. There is plenty of fan interest. My shop caters to readers. I would NOT even think of displaying a "slab" in store. I would also submit, that slabbing comics does NOTHING to increase modern comic sales long term. But you all do that.

"Pickers' will be out in droves Wednesday.

>>My advice. If you get a copy this Wednesday. Think Skullkickers and sell fast<<

That's unfair to the creative team, assuming you have not read it yet. I read the first issue. Not my cup of tea, but I bet fans of Vertigoesque material might like it quite a bit.

Who knows.

Skullkickers sales/values have plummeted but the book is finding a nice audience. I have an in store signing coming up in December with the creative team & am blown away by the pre buzz with non-traditional fans. In addition to plenty of excited comic regulars, Streetfighter video game league is having a tournament in shop that night. They all adore Zubkavich because he worked on the game. The Deadpool crowd finds it funny.

That said, Skullkickers was a monster speculative play. A huge success.

I could care less if 27 #1 is in the quarter bins in a year. My shop has plenty of copies on hand to build readership, & I'm going to make a little cash on the extra's this week.

The creative team is going to enjoy their sellout & prepare later printings. The publisher is going to have money in the bank. My distributor is making money. I think it's great for business all around.

If you enjoy speculating on modern comics, you should care less too. All you have to do this week to make a little cash is show up at a reliable LCS.

If someone pays too much for a copy of the book , feels burned & leaves the hobby, he was probably one foot out the door anyway.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

>>My point. These are speculator buys. NOT fans who are interested in the book.<<

Pre-orders in my shop are quite high. There is plenty of fan interest. My shop caters to readers. I would NOT even think of displaying a "slab" in store. I would also submit, that slabbing comics does NOTHING to increase modern comic sales long term. But you all do that.

>>My advice. If you get a copy this Wednesday. Think Skullkickers and sell fast<<

That's unfair to the creative team, assuming you have not read it yet. I read the first issue. Not my cup of tea, but I bet fans of Vertigoesque material might like it quite a bit.

Who knows.

Skullkickers sales/values have plummeted but the book is finding a nice audience. I have an in store signing coming up in December with the creative team & am blown away by the pre buzz with non-traditional fans. In addition to plenty of excited comic regulars, Streetfighter video game league is having a tournament in shop that night. They all adore Zubkavich because he worked on the game. The Deadpool crowd finds it funny.

I could care less if 27 #1 is in the quarter bins in a year. My shop has plenty of copies on hand to build readership, & I'm going to make a little cash on the extra's this week.

The creative team is going to enjoy their sellout & prepare later printings. The publisher is going to have money in the bank. My distributor is making money. I think it's great for business all around.

If someone pays too much for a copy of the book , feels burned & leaves the hobby, he was probably one foot out the door anyway.

Larry

do you read the you type? Seriously.

Your logic fails.

1. You're trying to compare two entirely unrelated activities. The vast majority of people who get brand new books slabbed are NOT doing it for speculative purposes.

2. The amount of people slabbing brand new comics is miniscule. If 1 out of 100 buyers does it, I'd be surprised. "We all" don't do anything of the sort.

3. Slabbing brand new comics generally means that that buyer will have TWO copies...one to read, and one to collect...resulting in more sales.

4. Slabs can be..GASP!!...opened!

Who knows.

Yeah. For YOU. :screwy:

I could care less if 27 #1 is in the quarter bins in a year.

If you could care less, why don't you...? (this will go over your head.)

My shop has plenty of copies on hand to build readership, & I'm going to make a little cash on the extra's this week.

Of course, with you behind him shoving with all your might, you're really not helping the situation, are you? Imagine the good you could do for the entire industry if you INSTEAD encouraged those "one foot out the door" buyers to become readers and appreciaters of comic art?

After all...I got into comics to make money, too...until I discovered what an amazing artform it is.

Imagine the platform you have to get people really interested in the artform, and instead you throw it away chasing after pennies.

:(

Regarding Twenty Seven, I found this over on Bleeding Cool:

Hi. I'm Shawn DePasquale. I'm a writer and comic letterer. I lettered this comic. Wanted disclose that up front because I'm about to gush....

First of all, thanks to Rich for all the support he's showing this project. I know Charles Soule (the writer) has literally put years of his life into this book (I can remember reading a draft of the scripts over two and a half years ago sitting at my Grandma's kitchen table) and all this attention is certainly gratifying.

Even more gratifying than the attention and curiosity are the reviews we've gotten thus far:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47623

and

http://comicbuzz.com/comic-review-twenty-seven

http://www.ifanboy.com/content/artic...m_Image_Comics

These are very positive reviews and although they fail to mention the amazing lettering in the book (he said with a WINK) they're still highly accurate reviews.

I've read the whole series and I can tell you the first issue barely scratches the surface of the cool mess Soule's got in store. I can't go into any detail because half of the fun is not knowing where this book is heading at any moment. I was surprised every step of the way. Even when I read it again while lettering it a few years later I was struck by how deeply cool this concept is and how smoothly the execution is handled.

Get this book. I tell you this not as a a part of the creative team (and let's be honest it's not like I get a backend percentage, letterers are lucky if we get paid at all let alone expecting something on the backend), I tell you, INSIST to you, that you MUST buy this book as a comics fan.

Don't hesitate because this is a series you'll be proud to say you were an early adopter of. Thanks for reading.

--Shawn DePasquale

shawnwritesstuff.blogspot.com

www.shawnletterscomics.com

Pre-orders in my shop are quite high. There is plenty of fan interest.

My comment was directed at the post above mine refering to the eBay sales where people are paying high amounts. Not the people pre-ordering through their LCS to give the book a read.

My shop caters to readers. I would NOT even think of displaying a "slab" in store. I would also submit, that slabbing comics does NOTHING to increase modern comic sales long term. But you all do that.

I don't buy and slab moderns either. Definitely a reader. I'm just speculating on the side once in a while. Mostly, because I find your thread interesting. (thumbs u

From a speculating point of view, of course you should sell fast. You've got them up for sale on eBay right now yourself. That's what you've preached since the beginning. Know when to sell. I'm paying attention. lol

Who knows.

If you enjoy speculating on modern comics, you should care less too. All you have to do this week to make a little cash is show up at a reliable LCS.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

It may not seem like a big deal, but ultimately the guy who bought a SkullKickers #1 for $20, is going to feel like a chump when it ends up as a quarter book.

He's either going to find a new hobby (which doesn't help) or he's going to turn into the kind of guy who wants to make a few bucks off a 15 minute hot book every Wednesday (which doesn't help).

Bottom line is everything made becomes disposable and worthless, less people READ, less real talent even want to create comics... It's an ugly. It's bad. I'm sure no one here cares.

I tend to wonder why the guy who paid $20 for Skullkickers did so. My gut feeling is it's a guy who wants to flip the book for $30 later. I have no problem seeing these guys get stuck with a 25c book in the end.

Long run, most of these guys aren't truly going to support the hobby. The RMA type outcome is the exception rather than the rule.

>>From a speculating point of view, of course you should sell fast. You've got them up for sale on eBay right now yourself. That's what you've preached since the beginning. Know when to sell. I'm paying attention<<

Nice to hear.

Actually what I have tried to preach is you have to determine your own strategy. Is the book going to peak sooner than later. Read the book and decide.

I think Twenty Seven "may' have legs. I want to gauge customer reaction. My podcast crew is reviewing it Wed Night.

That said I'm hedging my bets. Pre-Sales & having my primary grader screen case for potential longer term.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

The SkullKickers people may have created a good book. Good is subjective.

But if Image wants to push it extra hard, they could call their buddy Larry who has an 'in' with lots of folks on the CGC board and promote it as HOT. An underordered book gets rumored as HOT, gets sold out at retail and Image has done their job. They sold it. All of it.

What they hope is people stay with it. Generally that doesn't happen, but, it makes a few more issues of the book feasible to publish and then limp on through to the next big thing.

most of what larry has posted is in the bleeding cool or ain't it cool blog or whatever it is already. let's not blow this up, i honestly think maybe 20 people are paying attention to this thread and at any given time 5-10 are hating on larry. and most of what he has pointed out has done zilch in the ebay aftermarket anyway, even if he might be making a profit in his store.

It may not seem like a big deal, but ultimately the guy who bought a SkullKickers #1 for $20, is going to feel like a chump when it ends up as a quarter book.

He's either going to find a new hobby (which doesn't help) or he's going to turn into the kind of guy who wants to make a few bucks off a 15 minute hot book every Wednesday (which doesn't help).

Bottom line is everything made becomes disposable and worthless, less people READ, less real talent even want to create comics... It's an ugly. It's bad. I'm sure no one here cares.

I tend to wonder why the guy who paid $20 for Skullkickers did so. My gut feeling is it's a guy who wants to flip the book for $30 later. I have no problem seeing these guys get stuck with a 25c book in the end.

Long run, most of these guys aren't truly going to support the hobby. The RMA type outcome is the exception rather than the rule.

So in a sense you're just ripping off people who don't really matter?

Which means that 27 isn't really a hot book, it's just a fluffed up overhyped comic bought by 'smart traders' to sell to the dimwits who'll buy it for over inflated prices?

And once those people leave, the dust will settle and the TRUE sales numbers will reflect a.... decrease in publication numbers?

Which will lead to less comics, less buyers, less talent and more drek?

Wait... isn't that what RMA is trying to say? :makepoint:

>> i honestly think maybe 20 people are paying attention to this thread and at any given time 5-10 are hating on larry.<<

feels more like 18-19 are hating on larry

Larry

Poor Larry.

>> i honestly think maybe 20 people are paying attention to this thread and at any given time 5-10 are hating on larry.<<

feels more like 18-19 are hating on larry

Larry

you reap what you sow, stoolie

Chuck, didn't you recently sell me a small batch of over hyped comics bought by you , a 'smart trader' to sell to me (a dimwit) who payed over inflated prices?

You're causing;

an exodus from the industry & a decrease in publication numbers.

Careful.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com