• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Gator:

I'm a big fan of both the Adventures of the Fly and the Adventures of the Jaguar. I've found very few to next to no individuals on this august board who share my enthusiasm. Could it possibly be the case that I'm the single most discerning individual on this board?

???

The adventure books are fun but we generally seem to be in a super hero centric collecting community so many cool books go under appreciated or even unnoticed

:gossip: The Fly and Jaguar are superhero books.

I guess I should have clarified "modern" or mainstream or current super hero :baiting:

Dear Gator:

I'm a big fan of both the Adventures of the Fly and the Adventures of the Jaguar. I've found very few to next to no individuals on this august board who share my enthusiasm. Could it possibly be the case that I'm the single most discerning individual on this board?

???

The adventure books are fun but we generally seem to be in a super hero centric collecting community so many cool books go under appreciated or even unnoticed

Cut him some slack, they aren't big dollar books so he doesn't know what they are

Sold several in SD this year so not only am I familiar but I have owned several copies recently (thumbs u

Dear Gator:

???

Cut him some slack, they aren't big dollar books so he doesn't know what they are

Sold several in SD this year so not only am I familiar but I have owned several copies recently (thumbs u

I love the way you are branching out :applause:

Dear Gator:

???

I love the way you are branching out :applause:

lol That quip had the coke zero all over the keyboard!

Dear Gator:

???

Cat girl :cloud9:

catgirl.gif

Mmmmmmm!!! Yes, one of my favourites!

(thumbs u

Oh great golden age guru !

What were your hottest selling golden age comics for 2011 pre-Robin tecs or early Actions?

What was your surprise for 2011 good GA selling comic?

What was your surprise for 2011 slow GA selling comic?

and finally what does your crystal ball say about the Golden Age market for 2012?

crystal%20ball.jpg

sorry, had to go back 6 pages to find this...not sure how I missed

hottest selling between TEc and Action were a toss up! I had a complete run of action 1-15 that I sold this year, and I had a complete run of tec 27-40 that I sold this year... both titles are in demand, and I was limited to only, on average, a single copy of each... that said, I did sell 3 copies of action 7 this year, and 3 copies of tec 31, so yet another "tie"

LBCole blue bolt was my suprise seller this year...I had multiple blue bolt runs from 102 to about 119 and sold most all, at nice prices...that "surprised " me (selling action and batman and timely , etc, are "expected")

My surprise slow seller this year was Superman 14...normally I buy and sell more than a dozen copies each year...selling everyone I have and then replenishing...this year, 3 copies I had bought last year went unsold, and that "surprised" me

2012 GA market is primed for a GREAT year (starting with the Billy Wright books)

Dear Gator:

But where are all the Fox & the Crow comics? Are you the one hoarding them?

(shrug)

hm Naw, I think Gator would say Fox's like this show more promise...

img_PhantomLady17_080-1.jpg

...but you should stick with the fly and sports car adventures m'lad, you'll get there eventually! (thumbs u

Dear Gator:

(shrug)

I did put a run of Funny Stuff together (quite challenging)... Fox & Crow are just as scarce...lots of those late 40's and early/mid 50's animal books are just not around in huge supply...and another factor, of course, is that most don't go for huge money and so are overlooked quite a bit... I do and did see them in lower priced convention boxes as I scoured for FS issues

Dear Gator:

(shrug)

...but you should stick with the fly and sports car adventures m'lad, you'll get there eventually! (thumbs u

hubba hubba

Dear Gator:

(shrug)

Matt Baker wasn't just a great artist. He was remarkably prescient as well. He somehow saw the advent of bolt-ons several decades hence. I think those are the most remarkably implanted looking breasts from the whole Golden Age.

(shrug)

Dear Gator, I possess exactly one GA book. It is a copy of Atlas/Timely's Battlefield #4. It's probably in, oh, 7.0 condition. I love the cover immensely and figure it doesn't have much resale value (there doesn't seem too much demand for war comics). Think it's worth slabbing despite it's presumed lack of fiscal value?

This isn't a scan of my book but here's a cover repro:

119904.jpg.5a80832da1166d89d6503ffb6a4873a8.jpg

I love the cover immensely and figure it doesn't have much resale value (there doesn't seem too much demand for war comics). Think it's worth slabbing despite it's presumed lack of fiscal value?

It's a good book. Nice cover. Here's my copy -

111048.jpg

Re:

there doesn't seem too much demand for war comics

Let's keep it that way I am not nearly done with my collection ... Also looks like that Battlefield 4 is not in the group shot.

Atlas2011GroupShot.jpg

P.S.: sorry for the gratuitous repost but the post made me do it. :cloud9:

Dear Gator, I possess exactly one GA book. It is a copy of Atlas/Timely's Battlefield #4. It's probably in, oh, 7.0 condition. I love the cover immensely and figure it doesn't have much resale value (there doesn't seem too much demand for war comics). Think it's worth slabbing despite it's presumed lack of fiscal value?

personally, I would not slab it...if you ever chose to sell, raw will get you the same price, and you won't have the cgc expense (thumbs u

personally, I would not slab it...if you ever chose to sell, raw will get you the same price, and you won't have the cgc expense (thumbs u

Therefore, my decision to slab is...

hm

...NO!

Thanks!

Oh great golden age guru !

What were your hottest selling golden age comics for 2011 pre-Robin tecs or early Actions?

What was your surprise for 2011 good GA selling comic?

What was your surprise for 2011 slow GA selling comic?

and finally what does your crystal ball say about the Golden Age market for 2012?

crystal%20ball.jpg

sorry, had to go back 6 pages to find this...not sure how I missed

hottest selling between TEc and Action were a toss up! I had a complete run of action 1-15 that I sold this year, and I had a complete run of tec 27-40 that I sold this year... both titles are in demand, and I was limited to only, on average, a single copy of each... that said, I did sell 3 copies of action 7 this year, and 3 copies of tec 31, so yet another "tie"

LBCole blue bolt was my suprise seller this year...I had multiple blue bolt runs from 102 to about 119 and sold most all, at nice prices...that "surprised " me (selling action and batman and timely , etc, are "expected")

My surprise slow seller this year was Superman 14...normally I buy and sell more than a dozen copies each year...selling everyone I have and then replenishing...this year, 3 copies I had bought last year went unsold, and that "surprised" me

2012 GA market is primed for a GREAT year (starting with the Billy Wright books)

Thanks, and really surprising about Superman 14 and the LBCole Bluebolt hm

The Billy Wright auctions look real good :cloud9: