• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

what's funny is outside of my initial tracking bid (like 2500) , I haven't even placed any bids yet (I wait till live)...but the book is up there pretty good already...wow

Gator, what is your absolute FAVORITE small collection you've acquired, either by walking into your store(s) or a offered at a convention or you met the seller somewhere to view it.

WHY and what was in it ?

Just curious.

Edited by ajaxfarrell

Gator, what is your absolute FAVORITE small collection you've acquired, either by walking into your store(s) or a offered at a convention or you met the seller somewhere to view it.

WHY and what was in it ?

Just curious.

about 5 years ago, I got a call from a "little old lady" that lived right here in Lynn Haven...she had 247 "old" comics and wanted to know if I was interested in buying them... she had contacted other dealers online and had not had any real luck with getting anyone to look at them (except brent at quality) or make an offer for more than just a few of them...

so, I went to her house and viewed her uncle's comics (he had lived in SF)...all of them had a "w w" penciled on the covers, which I believe she told me was his way of keeping track he had read them... they all had nice pages, and were an assortment of books... we struck a deal, went to the bank (which was right around the corner) and I sold most all of them right here on the boards!

fun fun

Gator,

So the Blue Beetle 54 sold in the selling forum for $5400. How do I report this sale to gpa?

I'm thinking it would help the value of all Blue Beetle's (I still have a 52) because, along with the sale of the 7.5 for $5k, it is establishing a breakout to a new trading range for these books.

unfortunately, gpa only takes data from it's approved suppliers of such data...so, in short, there is no way to report it unless you want to pm george at gpanalysis and see if he wants to include

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130638518427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Did this White pager go off at a good price, or does the range vary dramatically for this book... especially for higher grades ?

This sale seems like a bargain compared to some prices realized in 2011 ?

that was a very attractive price... I believe I am guilty of moving the price of supes 14 upward over the past few years, as my goal was to win them all...now, by just taking me out of the bidding equation, I have noticed prices have softneded... that said, it was a very good price (I regularly paid over 3K for 6.5 in the past ) IMO

Gator: Sell or flip wings 94?

Last Gpa for 9.0 in OW $1912

currently an 8.0 W in the Feb CL auction

Mine, the smoke shop copy, is 9.0 OW/W highest graded best pq. I was thinking of pricing it at $2500 or thereabouts on the boards. If the Mile high is 9.4, then the MH is probably a $10k book, but now I'm thinking is the time to sell before the MH is graded. Maybe the MH is only a 7.5 and mine is the $10k book?

Also, I could wait and see what happens with the 8.0 in the Comiclink auction. Maybe the book go nuts and mine is worth even more, or not?

Instead of keeping the Wings 94 I could hang onto my Blue Beetle 52 to cover myself for investment purposes. Take profits on 1 and hold onto the other for the long haul. The Blue Beetle 52 can be pressed to a 7.5 or 8.0. I know I'm definitely keeping the 52 because gpa prices are way low for at the moment and it should come up sometime in the next 10-20 years. Plus I really enjoy looking at it myself.

wings94top.jpg

bb52frtop2nd.jpg

Gator, the original artwork to the Superman #14 cover went up for auction about a year ago but didn't reach the reserve.

Was it later sold privately or is it still owned by Jerry Robinson's estate?

Last I heard Robinsons estate had an unrealistic expectation of value and it had not publicly changed hands but I'll make an inquiry to see if anything has privately taken place