• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

can't imagine how difficult it must be to try to find these books thousands of miles away. But I salute you on your perseverence.

Ok - this is the ask GAtor thread, so.....GAtor:

If Train A is headed WSW @ 50 mph and Train B is headed ENE at 52 mph directly at Train A......................................

when are you going to post a sick GA thread like you did about 18 months ago :cloud9:

can't imagine how difficult it must be to try to find these books thousands of miles away. But I salute you on your perseverence.

Ok - this is the ask GAtor thread, so.....GAtor:

If Train A is headed WSW @ 50 mph and Train B is headed ENE at 52 mph directly at Train A......................................

when are you going to post a sick GA thread like you did about 18 months ago :cloud9:

unfortunately for me, I have sold about 70% of the books I had accumulated...my inventory is all but drastically depleted, so no sales threads any time soon...

Gator (or anyone else that has had experience with this),

Over the last year or so I have changed the focus of my collection to GA (mostly horror and crime but some other stuff too), the thing is I still have a ton of Silver & Bronze books in my collection including many keys. I still like the newer books but they really don't excite me like all of the great GA stuff out there that I don't have yet.

So, the question is should I sell my Silver/Bronze to buy more GA books or keep them for 'old times sake'?

Gator (or anyone else that has had experience with this),

Over the last year or so I have changed the focus of my collection to GA (mostly horror and crime but some other stuff too), the thing is I still have a ton of Silver & Bronze books in my collection including many keys. I still like the newer books but they really don't excite me like all of the great GA stuff out there that I don't have yet.

So, the question is should I sell my Silver/Bronze to buy more GA books or keep them for 'old times sake'?

hm

Go with what excites you. Keep the Silver and Bronze keys because they'll probably continue to climb in value over the long haul (dependent upon condition and market shifts). Selling off stuff is very personal, but if your focus has changed and you have a gut feeling that you've acquired too much of one thing or another then that may be the case.

From a dealers standpoint Gator probably has better insight into this than I do, but you asked, and that has been my experience.

my experience has always been to sell what you no longer care to have (i mean, if you don't want it, why keep it)

if you still like them, and you don't need the money to buy GA, then keep...

if you still like them, but you do need the money to buy the GA you like more, then sell...

that is the short of the answer

Dear GAtor,

Who are Golden age Phantom Strangers so hard to come by? Low Print Run? Low popularity?

Thanks!

L

I Think it is more of a combination of low demand and lower visible supply (they are relatively scarce)...because there is not a strong demand, folks tend not to readily list them (at auctions, on walls at cons, etc)...

that said, if you are not overly grade concious, a run of 1-6 can be had in a matter of minutes, with a quick search of ebay and major on line dealers (thumbs u

I don't understand the low demand, the Phantom Stranger #1- #6 straddled the line between the superhero and horror book era and was kind of a perfect combo of both. He still has a significant presence in the DC Universe, especially now with the recent events of the New 52. It took me 3-4 months of waiting and checking sites every day for a #1 to come to market, and when it did I snatched it up immediately since you so rarely see them for sale.

Edited by Illustrious

a good indicator of demand would be to take a poll and see how many of our active golden age collectors collect the title ...I personally have never run across anyone that has ever asked me if I had any issues at any cons I have set up for the past few years ...so, not saying the character doesn't have relevance, just saying it is apparent from my perspective that demand is either low, or quiet

Quite a few 50s titles have little apparent demand because they have, historically, shown up in grade so infrequently. No one asks about titles like PS at Cons because it becomes clear fairly quickly that it is a useless exercise. Should a high grade set appear on the market I suspect it would garner attention at an auction.