• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

hey mr gator, newb golden age guy here....how is a pedigree verified by cgc? nowadays coverage of new collections would make it easy, but what about say mile high? was/is it basically chucks word as to what books were in the collection compared to books he already owned?

most pedigrees, like the Church books, or allentowns, or Reily's etc, have distinctive markings or preservation qualities (smell, touch, etc) that make long time collectors easily distinquish them...pretty sure no one consults chuck lol

Unless it's in regard to whether his marketing strategies influenced his choice of tattoos. :grin:

chuck is a sweat heart :cloud9:

hey mr gator, newb golden age guy here....how is a pedigree verified by cgc? nowadays coverage of new collections would make it easy, but what about say mile high? was/is it basically chucks word as to what books were in the collection compared to books he already owned?

most pedigrees, like the Church books, or allentowns, or Reily's etc, have distinctive markings or preservation qualities (smell, touch, etc) that make long time collectors easily distinquish them...pretty sure no one consults chuck lol

Unless it's in regard to whether his marketing strategies influenced his choice of tattoos. :grin:

Yeah, I've known him a long time, ...even before the Church find, but I don't know how much he sweats. :blush:

Yeah, I've known him a long time, ...even before the Church find, but I don't know how much he sweats. :blush:

Thank you form noticing

Usually snarky spots :foryou:

Hi GAtor,

I noticed this beauty in the latest ComicConnect Auction: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=554303

...which got me thinking. What is the earliest book to receive a 9.8 designation from CGC? Flash Comics 10 is late 1940. Surely there can't be many before this one. FYI: I did check and there were no earlier issues of Flash Comics graded higher than 9.6.

If you were asked to condense your GA marketreport for the last year (keys) into just a few sentences, what would youre overall message be? (thumbs u

I can name that tune in 4 words. "Market is very strong. "

I'm going to have a really nice copy of Detective #141 in a few weeks (PM me if interested). This is a tough black cover that rarely shows up in high grade (or at all - CGC census data is basically non-existent).

Rick - have you ever sold a copy?

\

the "in between" tec (riddler 140/142)...

I bought a copy for my collection, but have never intentionally bought to resell, so I don't think I have ever had a sale of one

Is that the jigsaw puzzle cover? If so I love it. Never had it.

Not jigsaw. Largely black and yellow "wanted/reward" cover

Here it is! 2nd highest graded - only 10 copies in the census.

Tec141.jpg

Sweet. Do you know what they are?

Unfortunately I don't know. I would hazard that they are peds (church or Allentown etc)

Here's one, from the late 30's Church Copy, cracked 9.8 :cloud9:

FPS31.jpg

Edited by Bunky Brian

I'm going to have a really nice copy of Detective #141 in a few weeks (PM me if interested). This is a tough black cover that rarely shows up in high grade (or at all - CGC census data is basically non-existent).

Rick - have you ever sold a copy?

\

the "in between" tec (riddler 140/142)...

I bought a copy for my collection, but have never intentionally bought to resell, so I don't think I have ever had a sale of one

Is that the jigsaw puzzle cover? If so I love it. Never had it.

Not jigsaw. Largely black and yellow "wanted/reward" cover

Here it is! 2nd highest graded - only 10 copies in the census.

Tec141.jpg [/quote

Very pretty, I have a lowly good/very good

Unfortunately I don't know. I would hazard that they are peds (church or Allentown etc)

FPS31.jpg

Defies logic how a 30's book can be so pristine!! Congrats!!

FPS31.jpg

Defies logic how a 30's book can be so pristine!! Congrats!!

It's junk :insane: