• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Wise is also selling a copy of Action Comics No. 1, which is the debut of Superman and is considered the birth of the comic book super hero. A well-preserved copy of the 1938 comic sold for a record $2.1 million in 2011. Zurzolo said there are fewer than 100 copies of the issue in existence.

Misquote or does he really believe it? Agree or disagree?

Which one will go highest tonight? A1 or T27 ... (shrug)

the A1 should kill a 3 sided trimmed tec27... if both were equal grades,the A1 would still win (imo)

Considered how the T27 in question actually fills out the inner well in a "normal" way, it must be micro-micro trim.

its not noted as "cover" trimmed, but "edges"...that typically means interior book trimmed too...

The C-cnect Action 1 (mod 7.0) was clearly the better book relative to the triple trimmed tec27 (mod 8.0).

Yet they roughly hammered out at 140K and 170K, with "only" a 30K margin. What does that indicate to you as regards the reciprocal strength of the big two?

Is action still a hair above when this sale is considered?

The action closed about 50k higher than anticipated and the Tec about 40k higher. Both books are strong but action 1 is still king.

Rick, the Action 1 CC 7.0 mod presents well, but the interior enlightened (depending how much was done) is somewhat a big factor? Regardless, those are strong prices for the BIG two.

didn't bother me...interior lightening is just chemically cleaning the pages....it will still outlast us all (thumbs u

Not worried that it can promote rusty staples? hm

Wise is also selling a copy of Action Comics No. 1, which is the debut of Superman and is considered the birth of the comic book super hero. A well-preserved copy of the 1938 comic sold for a record $2.1 million in 2011. Zurzolo said there are fewer than 100 copies of the issue in existence.

the A1 should kill a 3 sided trimmed tec27... if both were equal grades,the A1 would still win (imo)

Considered how the T27 in question actually fills out the inner well in a "normal" way, it must be micro-micro trim.

its not noted as "cover" trimmed, but "edges"...that typically means interior book trimmed too...

The C-cnect Action 1 (mod 7.0) was clearly the better book relative to the triple trimmed tec27 (mod 8.0).

Yet they roughly hammered out at 140K and 170K, with "only" a 30K margin. What does that indicate to you as regards the reciprocal strength of the big two?

The action closed about 50k higher than anticipated and the Tec about 40k higher. Both books are strong but action 1 is still king.

Rick, the Action 1 CC 7.0 mod presents well, but the interior enlightened (depending how much was done) is somewhat a big factor? Regardless, those are strong prices for the BIG two.

didn't bother me...interior lightening is just chemically cleaning the pages....it will still outlast us all (thumbs u

I've owned a lot of interior lightened comics and never had any staple issues... oxygen and water/moisture cause rust...

I've owned a lot of interior lightened comics and never had any staple issues... oxygen and water/moisture cause rust...

I would think a book would be totally disassembled to have pages lightened and well dried/pressed before it was put back together again so I wouldn't worry about rust. IIRC West has said that the process used to lighten pages does cause the pages harm and they will deteriorate faster. How fast, I don't know. I own one book with lightened pages and I haven't cracked it out yet.

I would think a book would be totally disassembled to have pages lightened and well dried/pressed before it was put back together again so I wouldn't worry about rust. IIRC West has said that the process used to lighten pages does cause the pages harm and they will deteriorate faster. How fast, I don't know. I own one book with lightened pages and I haven't cracked it out yet.

yep, not sure where the rust concern came from, but unlikely from any chemical cleaning...

naturally, the chemicals strips the cellulose strands of dirt/impurities and weakens them, but when one considers that paper is made with the same type chemical process (pulp/paper is not naturally white, it is chemically bleached that way), it is really no more issue short or long term than the weakening from the initial production (susan C explained all to me some time ago)....

yep, not sure where the rust concern came from, but unlikely from any chemical cleaning...

naturally, the chemicals strips the cellulose strands of dirt/impurities and weakens them, but when one considers that paper is made with the same type chemical process (pulp/paper is not naturally white, it is chemically bleached that way), it is really no more issue short or long term than the weakening from the initial production (susan C explained all to me some time ago)....

I think there have been a couple of well-known books (don't ask me to remember which ones!) that have both had their pages lightened and had rusty staples.

I think that's why some of us are leery of books with lightened pages. But perhaps we are being too cautious. (shrug)

I think there have been a couple of well-known books (don't ask me to remember which ones!) that have both had their pages lightened and had rusty staples.

I think that's why some of us are leery of books with lightened pages. But perhaps we are being too cautious. (shrug)

they are not related...

I recall the superman 1 issue, but that was a storage issue that caused the rate of rust migration to increase, not a pages having been cleaned issue... 2 are totally (and chemically) unrelated... moisture/oxygen in wrong environment caused the rust (thumbs u

they are not related...

I recall the superman 1 issue, but that was a storage issue that caused the rate of rust migration to increase, not a pages having been cleaned issue... 2 are totally (and chemically) unrelated... moisture/oxygen in wrong environment caused the rust (thumbs u

I store my collection below 50% humidity and under 70° Fahrenheit. Short term fluctuations in temperature shouldn't be of major concern as GA comics have miraculously survived for decades in constantly changing environments with negligible deterioration in PQ. Of course heat and humidity combined for extended periods is a serious concern in respect to rust and PQ aging.

In respect to interior lightening, it seems like a lot of work for dubious results. If for the sake of appearance the process does nothing to preserve the interiors and in fact shortens the lifespan of the pulp paper then I'd question it's usefulness. But I'd prefer seeing some raw data, A/B paper testing and the like that support those assessments.

Professional cover cleaning seems useful for soiled books if it brings them back to life without apparent damage. Does it weaken cellulose fibers in the more robust cover stock? I have no idea, but dependent upon whether the impact is real, negligible or nonexistent perhaps PLOD designations should be reconsidered. My 2c (OMMV)

I'm sure that there's a question in there somewhere that Gator can assess and render an opinion about from on-high! lol

all my info about "paper conservation" comes from talking to matt and susan...they are the experts, not me.... lol

402 pages into this thread and now you tell us! :sumo:

hehe

Rick

Maybe I missed where these final prices were discussed, but what were the final hammer prices for the restored Action 1 and Tec 27 in CC auction (Wise)

Thanks,

FISH

172/137 respectively...quite "shocking" to me, in all honesty

Rick

Maybe I missed where these final prices were discussed, but what were the final hammer prices for the restored Action 1 and Tec 27 in CC auction (Wise)

Thanks,

FISH

I'm beyond shocked, but can't say I'm "unhappy" ..............

;)

Edited by fishbone

Hi Rick,

Hi Rick,

What's your "take" on the AA16 from the Wise collection selling "south" of 20k. Still a top 5 book? Thanks Rick

There was a thread last year Wayne Tec started where I laid out why aa16 might not even be a top 10 book any more (thumbs u

Rick

Thanks,

FISH

;)

As much as I'd like to be happy too, I would consider them outlier sales at this point, until we can get some duplication in the market

Rick

Thanks,

FISH

;)

As much as I'd like to be happy too, I would consider them outlier sales at this point, until we can get some duplication in the market

Wasnt there a plod tec27 9.2 that sold recently in the 150K range.

To which extend can that be considered a duplication?

Rick

Thanks,

FISH

;)

Wasnt there a plod tec27 9.2 that sold recently in the 150K range.

To which extend can that be considered a duplication?

I sold that copy in feb. Good sale, but not a trimmed copy. Macintosh to gala.

Rick

Thanks,

FISH

;)

Of course, that's logical -- maybe someone else should test the market now :insane:

Edited by fishbone