• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, PopKulture said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

As far as you know, is that CGC 8.5 graded copy of Rawhide Kid 17 that sold on Heritage on Sunday the first Western comic book to actually go for over $10K in the marketplace?  :whatthe:

What, what, what??! :ohnoez:

Oh, and here's the link for the ones too lazy to look it up:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/rawhide-kid-17-marvel-1960-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/121732-11612.s?

Not a bad price at all for the consignor at $10,755.  :flipbait:

38 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Yes it did break 10k but I'm told it was the age old situation of two I want it any any price Internet bids colliding in mid air. Winner and loser come away happy.

Are you implying that the losing under bidder might be the actual winner here by not over paying for this book, while the actual winner might be the loser based upon the price paid?  :devil:  lol

42 minutes ago, Eggman said:

Gator - Good afternoon.  Thanks for sharing your insights.

Re: Fantastic Comics in general, and Fantastic Comics #1 specifically.   What is your outlook on these?  Your opinion on the current state of demand?  How does Fantastic Comics fare vs other Fox titles?  I have a 4.5 restored version of #1 (pic enclosed).  Anything to consider or look out for regarding the run and #1 in particular?  Thanks again for your feedback.

Fantastic Comics 1.png

Fantastic is a great title. I believe it trails mm and ww but is highly collected. Especially these days!

On 8/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you implying that the losing under bidder might be the actual winner here by not over paying for this book, while the actual winner might be the loser based upon the price paid?  :devil:  lol

Well yes.  But in the long run, I think buyer should be fine.  Sure he's way in front of the market right now, I mean, had it sold for 3k it would have been amazing, right? But at 10k, well, and only two bidders going for it, he will have to wait for time to do its work.  It's a scarce book that's in demand by many collectors... 

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Well yes.  But in the long run, I think buyer should be fine.  Sure he's way in front of the market right now, I mean, had it sold for 3k it would have been amazing, right? But at 10k, well, and only two bidders going for it, he will have to wait for time to do its work.  It's a scarce book that's in demand by many collectors... 

Clearly money was not a relevant factor

4 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

guess not.  but geez, Id hate to get pushed up to my max "this ought to be way more than enough to win" bid cause some other guy who didn't really want to pay his max bid either showed up...  wouldn't you?

Makes you go hm

All Star #8 has the first Wonder Woman story but no cover appearance and was released the week of October 25, 1941.

Sensation comics #1 has the beginning of the Wonder Woman series and her first cover and was released the week of November 7, 1941 about 2 weeks after AS #8. It is also a scarcer book than AS #8.

I know you rated the demand before as AS#8, Sensation #1, WW#1 so now is not the case today and I would not expect these 2 books to ever end up like Hulk #180 and #181 in pricing but do you think the current gap in pricing between these two books will widen or narrow over time and how much would you expect in either direction?

Edited by N e r V

32 minutes ago, N e r V said:

All Star #8 has the first Wonder Woman story but no cover appearance and was released the week of October 25, 1941.

Sensation comics #1 has the beginning of the Wonder Woman series and her first cover and was released the week of November 7, 1941 about 2 weeks after AS #8. It is also a scarcer book than AS #8.

I know you rated the demand before as AS#8, Sensation #1, WW#1 so now is not the case today and I would not expect these 2 books to ever end up like Hulk #180 and #181 in pricing but do you think the current gap in pricing between these two books will widen or narrow over time and how much would you expect in either direction?

I expect sens 1 to narrow the gap

but  make no mistake. This is not hulk 180/181. As8 is WW debut and not a single page cameo teaser. AS 8 should remain "the" WW book but that doesn't diminish sens1 at all

Edited by G.A.tor

59 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

Gator, in your opinion which is the toughest/relative demand Marvel Mystery among these 3 classics: 40, 44 and 46?

#44 is by far the toughest! I'd say #40 is more common than #46.

Edited by Timely

6 hours ago, Timely said:

#44 is by far the toughest! I'd say #40 is more common than #46.

40 is fairly readily available imo. 46 has highest demand imo and is pretty available.  44 is available , but not readily. 

38 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Big physical game coming up in a few hours brother!!. No question here just posting have FUN and good luck this season to your boys!! 

With all our suspensions, I'd be surprised if we win. Happy, but surprised. 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

With all our suspensions, I'd be surprised if we win. Happy, but surprised. 

Yeah that's a tough situation down there i think Coach E handled it correctly. Too bad for the rest of the team that worked hard in the offseason and the fans of Gator Nation. There will be lots of new faces on both sides of the field today for sure. 

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Is there going to be a Gator sighting at NYCC this year? If so where?

Yes. We've set up at every nycc since 2007. Not sure of booth but will figure out

4 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Gator, have you made any arrangements for Irma's visit? She looks kinda mean.

I'm in Panama (Latin America). Bridget and kids will head to Tennessee if nec