• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

I take him at his word when he says that these pieces are dear to him.

So I guess the night the TV show debuted, they suddenly became 4X-8X "more dear" to him, right? lol

I agree that this Modern hack can sell his still-wet artwork for whatever he feels like, just as others have the same right to laugh as his insanely-nosebleed prices.

Dude, you are welcome to laugh at anything in this whole dang world that doesn't fit into your narrow world view. Have a blast.

Dan

The bottom line is that a lot of people got their hopes up, as did I. I thought they would be pricey but when I got Kara's follow up email I really felt deflated. I swear o almost emailed her back to ask if she accidentally put an extra 0 on the end of each price, and I was dead serious.

A page. I had a ton of WD art that I miss. I had the covers to 7,10, 30 and 51 as well as some panel pages and the Back cover to one of the early Hardcovers. Glad I still have my awesome Tony sketches, which I vowed were going to be the few pieces I never got rid of.

Probably because you knew they would be a hard sell since they are signed to Danny. :baiting:

Not at all the reason. There are plenty of Danny's in this world. They are unique sketches and Tony worked his azz off on both.

Dude, they're his pages. He can charge whatever he wants for them. You can buy them, or not. Why would you be upset about it unless you maybe you were interested in picking up pieces that you originally thought were too high, and flipping them for a profit now that the demand is up. Just a guess on my part.

Walking Dead is hotter than hell right now and being a co-creator, has every right to cash in on it in any way he sees fit. If anyone makes a buck off the pages, he damn well should be the one to do it.

Okay that's one way of looking at it, maybe they feel people will do that. However to ask those prices he is trying to put himself on a legendary comic artist level in which he is obviously not.

I actually buy OA for myself every once in while, and I been an avid WD fan for a while now as I own some Charlie Adlard OA.

Thanks though for assuming I am now an art dealer. :eyeroll:

Of course it's his work and he can ask whatever price he wants, but to me his prices are now at unrealisitc levels of hype.

I never said he can't ask anything he wants, but it been a long time in this hobby when I seen asking prices increase that much in such short time frame. Obviously the prices would go up with the show being hot right so I was just shocked to see how much the increase, and his reasons behind it.

I talked to couple boardies already who are die-hard WD fans and they were pretty insulted when they heard. Heck they told me to post this thread.

If he thinks his work is worth Jack Kirby, John Romita, or heck even Jim Lee money than good luck to him. Make that money.

Just don't tell me your art is so personal that you were willing to sell the same page for thousands less prior to the show hitting the airwaves. meh

It could be as simple as pre TV show - needed the money.

post TV show - I'm rich bitttch! You want a page, pay up.

Some people like to charge a lot for stuff they consider valuble,

like this

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=381819&set=0

9.4 sweetness :cloud9:

makes Tony look good

Typo. :makepoint:

lotsa extra numbers getting tossed around lately.

like this

makes Tony look good

:blahblah:

They are like my children. I just can't part with them without a price increase.

like this

makes Tony look good

They are like my children. I just can't part with them without a price increase.

a 100,000% price increase?

like this

makes Tony look good

Sure, why not? Kids are expensive now a days. I blame it on television.

like this

makes Tony look good

Sure, why not? Kids are expensive now a days. I blame it on television.

:roflmao:

WD Issue 1 page 3 - 4,000.00

WD Issue 2 page 14 - 8,000.00

WD Issue 3 page 20 - 10,000.00

WD Issue 4 page 13 - 12,000.00

WD Issue 1 page 8 - 5,000.00

WD Issue 2 page 18 - 6,500.00

Excuse me. He raised his price by nearly 625%. That's a big difference. :eyeroll:

From a price that's a year old on a product that in the past year that has spawned a television series and gone viral.

I don't see the problem.

It's hot. He has it. Nobody else has it. There is no "market price" because he *is* the market price.

There is no market price because no one in the art market is willing to pay his new price.

Bingo.

And to put the rumor that pieces will not sell at these prices to rest, it appears at least 4 have been sold or are in the process of being sold.

:roflmao: Some people shouldn't have credit cards.

can you buy a nice piece of ditko spidey OA for $12,000.00?

different strokes for different folks, I guess.

You could if this were 2003.

Today...$12k won't get you spidey in costume or a top tier villain. It will take double to triple that number.

$12k might get you an angsty puss parker page.

WD Issue 1 page 3 - 4,000.00

WD Issue 2 page 14 - 8,000.00

WD Issue 3 page 20 - 10,000.00

WD Issue 4 page 13 - 12,000.00

WD Issue 1 page 8 - 5,000.00

WD Issue 2 page 18 - 6,500.00

Figured you would get a good kick out of this thread Andrew. ;)

The prices are crazy high. They are priced that way b/c of the show. He's allowed to ask whatever he wants.

I think Moore's art is far superior to Adlard and should be priced higher. However, being that Moore only did a few issues before Adlard took over, I think it's safe to say that Adlard is THE Walking Dead artist.

Similar to Invincible, where Ryan Ottley took over after 8-9 Corey Walker issues and made the book "his".

Years ago, I was looking into getting a Moore WD piece. I thought they were too high at that time. If prices were the same as then, I still wouldn't buy one. IF I had that kind of money to spend on modern art, I would have bought a Powell Goon page or a Turner Superman/Batman page. I thought they all were too high. So, I don't own any of them.

Still, Moore is allowed to ask whatever he wants for the pages. If someone wants a page that badly, and is willing to pony up the dough, so be it. "A fool and his money..." and all that jazz.

I think Moore will have those pages for quite some time. I'd be shocked if anyone buys a page at those prices. Especially when nice Adlard pages are still available (even though I prefer TM's art).

It's pretty obvious that the price hike is due to the show, not some sentimental reason. Would it be better if he just came out and said that? Yeah, probably. Is it worth making a big stink about it? Probably not. But it sure does make for some good reading.