• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

It's pretty obvious that the price hike is due to the show, not some sentimental reason. Would it be better if he just came out and said that? Yeah, probably. Is it worth making a big stink about it? Probably not. But it sure does make for some good reading.

The problem is, that's the perception the OP has given everyone and that's NOT what Tony Moore actually said.

This is what he said:

John,

Tony here.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. While these prices may be distasteful to you, the market elsewhere is bearing them out. Above all, the fact is, these pages are very dear to me personally, and the price tag is what it takes to get me to allow them to leave my personal possession. I'll be just as happy if they sit here until the end of time.

-T

To understand this email, it would have helped to know what the OP actually said to Tony Moore to make him say that. That email was omitted, is still omitted I believe. Why would that be?

Tony doesn't say the increase the price increase is due to sentimental reasons, he said that he loves the pages and this is what it will take to let them go. They've always been priced at double or more of what most people would ever pay. The price increase was brought on by the drastically increased number of requests to buy artwork, artwork they wanted to try and keep.

If someone is trying to price something intentionally high, high enough that if someone buys it the seller will have no regrets and would be silly not to take that amount, then they have to take into account the demand for their art and what perceived market value would be.

Given that people who KNEW of those original prices, and weren't interested 2 weeks ago at those original prices. were now interested in buying the pages at those prices (the OP ADMITS AS MUCH) if Tony really wanted to keep them for anything less than stupid money the price had to go up. That's pretty common amongst artists. They all have series, or characters, or specific pages they would prefer to keep and not sell unless someone overwhelms them dollar wise.

I can name a dozen artists who have done the same.

The difference is, none of those artists were provoked into sending an email like this with an earlier email that was insulting and derogatory. The OP has already admitted he got heated in the email that preceded this one and that he threw shots at Tony's artistic standing. Then he posted this email, I am guessing, to make Tony look bad...omitting the email he sent Tony that elicited this response.

That's pretty unfair, and it's given the general public the wrong idea about Tony.

Personally, I think Tony was pretty restrained in his response. If someone were to come to me about what a big fan there were of mine and how much they liked my work only to come back and insult me in the next email, because they didn't like the price,I would probably have lost it on them. I would have thought they were blowing smoke up my and lying to me about respecting my artwork when their next breath was tearing me down.

It's pretty obvious that the price hike is due to the show, not some sentimental reason. Would it be better if he just came out and said that? Yeah, probably. Is it worth making a big stink about it? Probably not. But it sure does make for some good reading.

The problem is, that's the perception the OP has given everyone and that's NOT what Tony Moore actually said.

This is what he said:

John,

Tony here.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. While these prices may be distasteful to you, the market elsewhere is bearing them out. Above all, the fact is, these pages are very dear to me personally, and the price tag is what it takes to get me to allow them to leave my personal possession. I'll be just as happy if they sit here until the end of time.

-T

To understand this email, it would have helped to know what the OP actually said to Tony Moore to make him say that. That email was omitted, is still omitted I believe. Why would that be?

Tony doesn't say the increase the price increase is due to sentimental reasons, he said that he loves the pages and this is what it will take to let them go. They've always been priced at double or more of what most people would ever pay. The price increase was brought on by the drastically increased number of requests to buy artwork, artwork they wanted to try and keep.

If someone is trying to price something intentionally high, high enough that if someone buys it the seller will have no regrets and would be silly not to take that amount, then they have to take into account the demand for their art and what perceived market value would be.

Given that people who KNEW of those original prices, and weren't interested 2 weeks ago at those original prices. were now interested in buying the pages at those prices (the OP ADMITS AS MUCH) if Tony really wanted to keep them for anything less than stupid money the price had to go up. That's pretty common amongst artists. They all have series, or characters, or specific pages they would prefer to keep and not sell unless someone overwhelms them dollar wise.

The difference is, none of those artists were provoked into sending an email like this with an earlier email that was insulting and derogatory. The OP has already admitted he got heated in the email that preceded this one and that he threw shots at Tony's artistic standing. Then he posted this email, I am guessing, to make Tony look bad...omitting the email he sent Tony that elicited this response.

That's pretty unfair, and it's given the general public the wrong idea about Tony.

Personally, I think Tony was pretty restrained in his response. If someone were to come to me about what a big fan there were of mine and how much they liked my work only to come back and insult me in the next email, because they didn't like the price,I would probably have lost it on them. I would have thought they were blowing smoke up my and lying to me about respecting my artwork when their next breath was tearing me down.

Nice one man. Very well said.

This whole thing looks like a Dave Fleisher/Superman cartoon situation.

(from wiki - cited from Leonard Maltin's Of Mice and Magic )

The Fleischers hoped to discourage Paramount from committing to the series, so they informed the studio that the cost of producing such a series of cartoons would be about $100,000 per short—an amazingly high figure, about six times the typical budget of a six-minute Fleischer Popeye the Sailor cartoon during the 1940s.

I wonder if the rest of his art from other titles will be priced abnormally high.

(sigh)

Asked and answered...in this thread no less.

From talking to Tony, and as early as 2004-2005, Walking Dead was aalways a very personal and important project for Tony. This wasn't a series where he came on to just draw it. He co-created the series with Kirkman. A lot of people seem to forget about that.

He's always priced these pages far higher than his other work. ALWAYS.

You have always been able to find a portfolio or box of art from most of his other series from between $20 and $100 per page at the same time that he had Walking Dead pages in their own portfolio for $1000, $2000, or more.

I would anticipate collectors would still have their choice of pages from other titles in this same price range at any show where Tony is set up.

Wow,

This is a great thread. I think the biggest problem is Tony speaking for himself or his wife speaking for him. He should have a 3rd party telling people the prices, then when questions come he can just say" I let my business manager handle the price setting". I think what makes his work worth more is the fact that he no longer does art on the book. Since the issues are ongoing each issue that comes out makes his work more and more rare. I love his work and it was his design and set up that paved the way for the book style. I had several books signed by him and he signed everyone of them and was at the Cincy Comic Con, he also has done a lot of cards and sketchs at in line pricing. So, I have to give him a thumbs up, he just needs to get a business manager and stop selling his own work.

This is what he said:

John,

Tony here.

-T

:golfclap:

Stop trying to bring reason into this sour grape argument!!!

Dan

Flippers are always furious when their margin is slashed.

Dan

Who was flipping? (shrug)

This dude is...

1252elaborate-touchdown-fail.gif

..but not very well.

Dan

No clue. Just one of those true things.

Dan

Of course, but I don't think anyone was looking for a flip. From what I've read, no one was getting a steal or a deal for that matter. The art was already at top market prices.

Dan

No clue. Just one of those true things.

Dan

Of course, but I don't think anyone was looking for a flip. From what I've read, no one was getting a steal or a deal for that matter. The art was already at top market prices.

If we're to believe that Tony Moore is lying liar who lies when he says his work is dear to him, who is to say that anyone who just wants to buy his art for fun isn't lying?

Dan