• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony Moore's Walking Dead Post TV Show OA asking prices are....

550 posts in this topic

I actually get what John is saying, and agree.

10/30 art is very cherished, and over priced to hopefully not sell. If it does, profit makes it worthwhile.

10/31 art is ultra super duper cherished, and even more over priced. BUT a mass email sent with encouragement to ask for prices on Ultra super duper cherished items with revised pricing that hopefully can pay off the house.

I see his point. Let me help.

If you dont want to sell something so near and dear then WHY would you mass email about new art and pricing. It makes no sense.

10/30 art is very cherished, and over priced to hopefully not sell. If it does, profit makes it worthwhile.

10/31 art is ultra super duper cherished, and even more over priced. BUT a mass email sent with encouragement to ask for prices on Ultra super duper cherished items with revised pricing that hopefully can pay off the house.

If you dont want to sell something so near and dear then WHY would you mass email about new art and pricing. It makes no sense.

10/30 art wasn't for sale. The prices he was quoting were over a year old. They've been off the market for a while.

10/30 art wasn't for sale. The prices he was quoting were over a year old. They've been off the market for a while.

Now that we have our dates straight. Shet is still overpriced. :sumo:

Anything I can't afford is overpriced.

He answered that in the first post in this thread: :eyeroll:

I was trying to get him to post again Retardo Montalban. :eyeroll:

I could use $50 bucks you know.

, Sorry !! I am sure my posting his own words will have the "Candy Man" effect.

11/12 OP sent an email hoping to score some of the good pages at prices he could flip them and make money. Ended up getting let down and tossed personal insults at the artist because there was no money left on the table for him.

11/15 OP is still crying about the same thing he was crying about on 11/12, and won't post the email he sent to the artist because it would make him look like a selfish tool. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm just pizzed it didn't work. I really thought I'd snag him with that one. Dag nabbitt.

I'm just pizzed it didn't work. I really thought I'd snag him with that one. Dag nabbitt.

I'm still trying. hm

11/12 OP sent an email hoping to score some of the good pages at prices he could flip them and make money. Ended up getting let down and tossed personal insults at the artist because there was no money left on the table for him.

11/15 OP is still crying about the same thing he was crying about on 11/12, and won't post the email he sent to the artist because it would make him look like a selfish tool. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Maybe. I haven't paid enough attention to formulate any theories.

One question for anybody.

The actual artwork referenced in this thread. Right to price notwithstanding, does anybody think the pricing is good?

I mean, we rail on and make fun of ebayers constantly for their crazy, whacked out prices. Is it at all possible that Tony's prices are indeed, completely ridiculous?

Having the right to price something at whatever amount you want does not necessarily mean that you're pricing also isn't :screwy: They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Is anybody here lining up to buy at his ask prices?

I'm just curious. I have never read or even seen anything related to WD other than maybe somebody posting a slab here.

Pat

That's not accurate.

The art has always been priced well above market. Given that some of it was available before (2005-2008) at relatively high prices and it did not sell would tell you it was above market. The prices quoted in this thread are at least a year old and perhaps older than that. In the OA world, a calendar year is an eternity. Prices can move several hundred percent in a single year. I have personally witnessed it with several artists.

John asked about the art last year and didn't like the prices so he passed.

Now he thinks those prices are more reasonable and wants to pull the trigger on the old prices in the face of a wall of giant TV hype, promotion and ratings. Just like a lot of folks. Tony and Kara still want to keep it, but they aren't stupid. The will set a price that's very high, but if the pages sell they will have no regrets and will use the funds for their growing family.

Somehow John believes it's ok for him to adjust his internal barometer of the art's worth but it's NOT ok for the Moore's to do the same. That's pretty fair of him. Maybe they should have been locked into their 2005 prices for all time, just to make it easier for collectors.

Tony and Kara have had a constant stream of people at conventions and emailing them through the site requesting artwork for several years. Many pieces have never been for sale. Some have not been for sale for some time. Many people have requested emails should anything change, pieces be made available, or prices be posted.

It's not a mass email. Everyone on that list emailed Tony and Kara or gave them their email address at one time or another inquiring about one thing or another usually artwork. The only fair thing for a person in that situation to do is to respond in kind to all those people when something such as posting all the art for sale after it's been off the market.

This wasn't Spam, this wasn't cold calling, this was an update to the people in their address book who had been in contact with them before, including John.

They've been buried by requests. This seems like a pretty effective way of answering all the questions at once and giving everyone who asked about artwork an equal chance. I am sure they weren't counting on the "waa! waa!" affect however.

But you just confirmed my point. It was and IS still very aggressively priced. And I didnt say spam email, I said Mass. Which could be anyone saved. I understand what you are saying, but do you see my point? If it was so cherished, why not just not make the art available? And it would be easy to NOT have a public email addy.

I dont care either way. I am just saying that as an outside voice, seems ridiculous to claim you dont want to sell and link your site with new available pieces and pricing?

Pat it is not rocket science. I am not sure what the price was on the page with the bicyclist zombie. I think it was two grand. It was priced that high because the Moores want people to not buy it. But if someone does, it is good bread. After seeing the first episode, I would have paid two grand for that page in a heartbeat. So would the OP most likely and so would a ton of people. The price needed to go up if it was going to retain its "stupid money" status. That OA has gone up in value over the past couple of years, but it really spiked after that show aired.

Everything they have done is completely consistent with their attitudes and pricing policies. That is what fires me up the most. The OP is posting like their position is inconsistent or arbitrary. It is not.

One question for anybody.

The actual artwork referenced in this thread. Right to price notwithstanding, does anybody think the pricing is good?

I mean, we rail on and make fun of ebayers constantly for their crazy, whacked out prices. Is it at all possible that Tony's prices are indeed, completely ridiculous?

Having the right to price something at whatever amount you want does not necessarily mean that you're pricing also isn't :screwy: They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Is anybody here lining up to buy at his ask prices?

I'm just curious. I have never read or even seen anything related to WD other than maybe somebody posting a slab here.

The perception is, is that they are really high. That's perception however. These aren't comics, these aren't widgets or soy beans or any other commodity. Each page is it's own unique entity. All one of a kind.

So personally I believe the price is high, but that's just gut feeling and that I know Tony wants to hang onto these unless he gets a "no regrets" price.

Anyone who says they are "positive" that the art is drastically overpriced is not speaking from fact. Fact would dictate that there are a dozen pages that sold publicly in the last year for a lot less than what Tony is asking. That hasn't happened. There are no public market comps from the last year, or the last three years for that matter.

There's been only one public sale of an interior page, that was at auction 4 years ago. It was a nice page and it sold for over $1k all that time ago. In the OA world that data point is almost useless. I would fully expect that same page, if it went up for sale today to easily triple or quadruple that auction price.

Most of the pages Tony is offering now are better, some are equal, but some are incredibly superior in comparison.

There's lots of uneducated assumption in this thread but from someone who's actually spent 90% of his time in this hobby collecting artwork over the last 20 years. I can tell you that I would not be shocked if Tony could easily get 50-60% of his asking prices for most of the pages. That means his price level, set to try and keep the art unless he gets a premium price, is right on target.

I have worked with, bought from and even represented several artists. I have seen artists ask for AND GET triple to quadruple market price for piece they would prefer to keep or they think is their best stuff. It's a fact. Hell there are pieces that have sold recently by other artists (and lesser known) that have sold at many multiples higher than that.

That's probably what is hamstringing the debate here. People who collect artwork day in an day out don't get shocked to the point of insulting the artist over high prices. Unique pieces will demand unique prices and each artist stands on his own.

There are literally DOZENS of artists who practice similar pricing strategies. Some are even more overt about it. One VERY popular artist prices all of his artwork incredibly high for the first six months because he has some very rich and very famous fans. These are fans with the cash to pay whatever the asking price might be.

When you are speaking to the creator of a piece all bets are off. That's common knowledge in the hobby. I've personally paid a creator 5 times what I thought market value was for a piece because 1) that's what it took to get it from him, 2) it was a perfect example, 3) the choice was to either get it at that price or walk away.

Option 4) berate the artist when the price is more than I want to spend, email and insult him privately, post his private emails publicly, and attempt to embarrass him on a message board is not really an option at all if you really like the art and respect the artist.

Pat it is not rocket science. I am not sure what the price was on the page with the bicyclist zombie. I think it was two grand. It was priced that high because the Moores want people to not buy it. But if someone does, it is good bread. After seeing the first episode, I would have paid two grand for that page in a heartbeat. So would the OP most likely and so would a ton of people. The price needed to go up if it was going to retain its "stupid money" status. That OA has gone up in value over the past couple of years, but it really spiked after that show aired.

Everything they have done is completely consistent with their attitudes and pricing policies. That is what fires me up the most. The OP is posting like their position is inconsistent or arbitrary. It is not.

Great post and maybe I am one of the people to blame because Kara, Tony and I talk about art and pricing and my opinion has been and always will be on Original Art (when repping)...

I am not looking for what 10 people would pay, I am looking for what 1 person will pay. Kara's job is to get the highest price for those items if someone really wants to buy them.

I have known them for years and have never bought a page. It was always out of my price range and for the exact reasons people have mentioned, they are not hurting for money, but want to allow people to decide if they want to buy at those prices. And currently, I know of 1 buyer for 4 pages, which would place that sale at $35K easy. Seems like they made the right choice.

Kara has done a fantastic job of bringing Tony Moore items to market, she rarely does things without thinking (except for being my friend, she really should have thought about that longer...)

Great post and maybe I am one of the people to blame because Kara, Tony and I talk about art and pricing and my opinion has been and always will be on Original Art (when repping)...

I am not looking for what 10 people would pay, I am looking for what 1 person will pay. Kara's job is to get the highest price for those items if someone really wants to buy them.

I have known them for years and have never bought a page. It was always out of my price range and for the exact reasons people have mentioned, they are not hurting for money, but want to allow people to decide if they want to buy at those prices. And currently, I know of 1 buyer for 4 pages, which would place that sale at $35K easy. Seems like they made the right choice.

Kara has done a fantastic job of bringing Tony Moore items to market, she rarely does things without thinking (except for being my friend, she really should have thought about that longer...)

:applause:

Also...

If half the people on this thread knew what they've been offered, and turned down, for the cover to #1 their heads would collectively explode.

lol

Sean, kind of insulted..

I could give two :censored:'s what they price at. The stance that the posters here brought up was they were not very interested in selling. Yet they send an Email out. Do you understand what I am getting at? I dont care if they make up numbers nobody has heard of. My point is that if they didnt really want to sell, why bother doing this?

Because they do want to sell. But they want to sell at a price that would be available to collectors, not really flippers. Which is fine. But taht is NOT the same as not really interested in selling. THAT is my point.

This post makes the most sense. Good for them for getting what they probably deserve. I dont know how much Moore gets from the book, and whatever the show brings. But at least the time he spent drawing will be rewarded.

I can see both sides. And while to ME the pages may not be worth so much, to someone else it IS. The collect what you like still works for me.