• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TO VOTE

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  

468 members have voted

1. 1. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

183 posts in this topic

Redhook is Brad Hamann. I live in.....Red Hook NY. First started collecting seriously in 1966. First few books I remember buying were FF 54 and ASM 41. I graduated from Parsons School of Design in NYC and I make my living as a freelance illustrator, doing editorial and advertising illustration for a wide range of clients. I have two great daughters from my first marriage, Dayna and Julia, 16 and 13. I am currently married to Lady Jane who literally changed my life when I met her.

My collecting patterns most resemble a comet that comes round every twenty years. After selling my first collection in the late 70's, I started collecting again in the early 80's. Stopped and then again started seriously only last year. Was intrigued by a CGC book I saw at a Big Apple Con and now own about 45 of them. I am a big Marvel Silver age fan, but thanks to being exposed to so many different interests here, from Charlton to Archie to DC....my collecting interest are starting to broaden.

Found the boards last fall, and have really enjoyed participating. I like the wide range of discussions, and arguments and personalities. It's been my collecting graduate school. I enjoy messing around with Photoshop and trying to get a laugh out of folk on the boards throwing up the odd image now and then. I appreciate the support and generosity shown on the boards. And I also am touched by the votes I received as a rookie. I enjoyed my first forum dinner last December and meeting some folks in person. Because I work at home, alone during the day, the boards have been a great hangout for me, during my work breaks.

Thanks everyone! It's been fun! hi.gif

Not that it matters foreheadslap.gif but anyway... flowerred.gif

My name is Sterling Smith, and I am a father, husband, and technologist. I am 34, roughly 6 1", and when my face has not been in front of a comic it's been in front of a computer screen. I live in Charlotte, NC although my job keeps me on the road-all the time. 893censored-thumb.gif

My son Parker will turn the big 2 this Wed (3/17--St Patrick) which coincides with my late grandfather's birthday. I also have a son Nathan who is sophmore in high school and loves to ice skate/hockey.

I was fascinated by comic art as early as 5 when I received my first comic. My love for art extended into movies; I'm a big Don Bluth fan, and since I was an arcade nut in the 80's games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace really got my attention.

As far as comics go, everyone knows I'm a horror freak, especially late silver/bronze DC. I also collect some superhero titles but nothing beats getting a high grade book that is "against the odds" of being found.

I sell on eBay with the same name, and unfortunately I have to change it soon as I was e-mailed by someone who indicated they have the trademark to "Sterling Comics". confused-smiley-013.gif Any idea for names?

I'm eventually going to start an online comic business using my tech savvy, but I need more market research... 893blahblah.gif

Right. Goldust40 = Andrew Colman. I'm 40, married with one kid (ten month old son). I live in North London. I've been collecting comics for 30 years, except between 1985 and 1991, when I lost interest completely for some reason (busy with other interests). I also collect old records and parking tickets (friggin' Camden Council!).

I joined these boards as they seemed rather more witty, intelligent and informative than yer usual slack-jawed internet chatroom. Granted, there are some haters and mentallists, not to mention some hysterical threads, but it's often cutting edge. You get the sense that you're abreast of events here, and sometimes posts are laugh out loud funny. And I've definitely learnt stuff from here.

Finally, if any awards for Rookie of the Year are being handed out, could I just say I thoroughly deserve all of them? How this board could have survived for so long without my rakish, Wildean charm and Swiftian, rapier like wit is beyond me. tongue.gif

Yeah, like that's not taken. foreheadslap.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Every name I've tried has been taken by these domain name Pirates who will sell it for you, for lots of $$$. 893censored-thumb.gif

Sorry...that was the point.....I was just having a joke with you.....

Actually, question mark will work just fine... thumbsup2.gif

But I was asking a 893censored-thumb.gif question!!

Oh yeah, remember my "anger management" therapy... insane.gif

I don't really want the name associated with me. All of the 'normal' names are taken or bought...so I need to get creative with the title. Hmmm...

Yeah, like that's not taken. foreheadslap.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Every name I've tried has been taken by these domain name Pirates who will sell it for you, for lots of $$$. 893censored-thumb.gif

Sorry...that was the point.....I was just having a joke with you.....

Ditto with ?

Actually, question mark will work just fine... thumbsup2.gif

But I was asking a 893censored-thumb.gif question!!

Oh yeah, remember my "anger management" therapy... insane.gif

I don't really want the name associated with me. All of the 'normal' names are taken or bought...so I need to get creative with the title. Hmmm...

Ican'tbelievethisisnotacomic.................