• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TO VOTE

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  

468 members have voted

1. 1. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

183 posts in this topic

Nikos61- Name is Nikolas Manousaridis, forget trying to pronounce my last name you will screw it up, so Nik for short. I got my first comic in 1969 from my dads cousin when I first came over to USA, I was 8 at the time. Believe it or not I learned the English language in about a year with the help of comics. Been collecting ever since.

Best day of my life was when I entered a contest, you remember those adds about drawing Spunky or something like that, when I was 16. I won 1st place, and had 2 gentlemen from MN come to my house with a check for $500 and free schooling in MN school of art. My parents tossed them out, and told them in broken English "My son no write crazy cartoons"

Worst day of my life was when I was 19 and came home from work, only to find there was a "small accident" at our house. Seems my mother won a BBQ at work and my dad put it together, went to light it and oh yeah, something went wrong, it shot out hit the side of the rear deck, and the fire spread so fast, and by the time they put it out, 3/4 of my collection was gone.

Today I own a Auto Repair Facility, I have a 17 year old blush.gif daughter, 7 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I collect mostly Marvels, especially 20c covers, I love all Horror ( Marvel /DC ), hell I love all comics period.

I also have about 100 pieces of original art, mostly covers and splashes, and about 12000 comics (500 are slabbed).

As far as this forum goes thumbsup2.gif to everyone here, you people keep it interesting and informitive. Keep it rolling.

Thats it folks, I'm spent. I have never 893blahblah.gif this much before.

Nik hi.gif

I sell on eBay with the same name, and unfortunately I have to change it soon as I was e-mailed by someone who indicated they have the trademark to "Sterling Comics". confused-smiley-013.gif Any idea for names?

confused.gif I understand the name sterlingcomics may be taken as a domain name and unavailable but you can certainly use it for an ebay ID, copyrighted or not. Don't let them bully you! Otherwise, how about sterling*comics?

I sell on eBay with the same name, and unfortunately I have to change it soon as I was e-mailed by someone who indicated they have the trademark to "Sterling Comics". confused-smiley-013.gif Any idea for names?

confused.gif I understand the name sterlingcomics may be taken as a domain name and unavailable but you can certainly use it for an ebay ID, copyrighted or not. Don't let them bully you! Otherwise, how about sterling*comics?

True...I'm sure there are dozens of Spideys, Hulks, Batmen, and Wolverines on ebay! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[quote confused.gif I understand the name sterlingcomics may be taken as a domain name and unavailable but you can certainly use it for an ebay ID, copyrighted or not. Don't let them bully you! Otherwise, how about sterling*comics?

I want a consistent name, as eBay will be a potential extension from the biz once it gets established. Something neutral like 'Heritage' or something. I guess I need to uncover my target market and make my decision from there.

BTW, the guy forwarded me to the yahoo forum sterlingcomics where he has supposedly have the copyright, and he has not answered any future inquires. My first job will be to uncover if it is in fact taken. Linky Poo

BTW, sterlingcomics.com is available!

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

I want a consistent name, as eBay will be a potential extension from the biz once it gets established. Something neutral like 'Heritage' or something. I guess I need to uncover my target market and make my decision from there.

BTW, the guy forwarded me to the yahoo forum sterlingcomics where he has supposedly have the copyright, and he has not answered any future inquires. My first job will be to uncover if it is in fact taken.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

If the guy is full of it (and he is if he used the word "copyright" in reference to the name of a business) you should trademark it NOW, even if you're not going to use it for some time.

For what it's worth, I see nothing for "sterling comics" searching here:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=poaoqi.1.1

How long have you been using the "Sterling Comics" name?

Also, how long has he used it, and in what geographic areas and for what purposes? What documentation does he have to prove such use? Does he have a federal trademark registration? Has he filed for a registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office? Has he filed for copyright protection? Ask him all of these questions and make him back it all up with documentation. If he can't, then tell him to FOAD.

893censored-thumb.gif

[quote confused.gif I understand the name sterlingcomics may be taken as a domain name and unavailable but you can certainly use it for an ebay ID, copyrighted or not. Don't let them bully you! Otherwise, how about sterling*comics?

BTW, the guy forwarded me to the yahoo forum sterlingcomics where he has supposedly have the copyright, and he has not answered any future inquires. My first job will be to uncover if it is in fact taken. Linky Poo

BTW, sterlingcomics.com is available!

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

You can't trademark a name that you aren't either using or that you don't intend in good faith to use within a reasonable time of filing for the registration. And if you do get a proper trademark and then stop using it for a time (or don't start using it), someone can argue that you abandoned it and start using it themselves.

If you want to register a mark, go here:

USPTO

BTW, the guy forwarded me to the yahoo forum sterlingcomics where he has supposedly have the copyright, and he has not answered any future inquires. My first job will be to uncover if it is in fact taken.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

If the guy is full of it (and he is if he used the word "copyright" in reference to the name of a business) you should trademark it NOW, even if you're not going to use it for some time.

For what it's worth, I see nothing for "sterling comics" searching here:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=poaoqi.1.1

My vote was a tie between shiverbones and garthgantu - shiver won

after overtime and coin toss: always positive, constructive posts and

infectious enthusiasm about many different types of comics.

Well, shoot, if you're going to use serious criteria, I'm outta my league !!

Frankly, I was surprised that so many people were on the "ballot" (me not touching the "pole," no way no how)... ? RobReact is a rookie? Doesn't the fact that he's figured out how to build so many shill accounts to boost his tally prove that he's not a rookie? confused-smiley-013.gif

You guys are full of it.....US companies steal, rob, etc around anything to do with trademarks. There is a case at the moment where a US company is trying to stop aussies from using the term Ug boot. For god sake...we invented them and to us it is a generic term for any boot or slipper that is made from sheepskin.

Oh....by the way Ug boots (or Ugly boots if you want the true meaning) are objects of derision out here. Only people of lower socio-economic and lower education standards wear them.

How long have you been using the "Sterling Comics" name?

Also, how long has he used it, and in what geographic areas and for what purposes? What documentation does he have to prove such use? Does he have a federal trademark registration? Has he filed for a registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office? Has he filed for copyright protection? Ask him all of these questions and make him back it all up with documentation. If he can't, then tell him to FOAD.

I've asked for supporting doc, but he's ignored me. As far as geographical purposes, GLOBAL is my intent (this here Internet thing spans far and wide), but protection from a domestic perpsective is my immediate goal. I've technically used the name for about 2+ years now, only on eBay. Once I establish the name via domain name and eCommerce site, it will be more than official.

I'm off to the gov site now.

Not to be a total law dork, but I want to add something here: a trademark is for a business name, but can also be used for the name of a specific product. It is any brand name that is to be used in conjunction with commerce involving goods. A service mark is the equivalent to a trademark when the commerce involves the provision of a service, rather than goods. "Trade dress" is protected in the same manner as a trademark, and consists of the distinctive design of a product where the nonfunctional aspects of the design itself has led to "secondary meaning" in the marketplace. "Secondary meaning" means that consumers associate the design of the product with a particular source of the product, rather than the product itself. (For example, when you see the distinctive shape of a Volkswagen Bug, you think "That's a car made specifically by Volkswagen," rather than "That's a car that could be made by anyone.") The shape of the Volkswagen bug is a "trade dress," while the stylized "VW" is a trademark. 893blahblah.gif

A Trademark is for a business name.

A Copyright is for an original work like a painting or a novel.

A Patent is for an invention.

Sorry to be late to the game with this one, but it seems so obvious I had to suggest it: "SterlingComicsSux!" ...this is AFTER you've handed over your current nick, you understand... acclaim.gif

One of my specialty areas of practice is intellectual property law. I can promise you that I am not full of it. I don't know anything about the Ugg Boot litigation, but I know how trademarks work.

You guys are full of it.....US companies steal, rob, etc around anything to do with trademarks. There is a case at the moment where a US company is trying to stop aussies from using the term Ug boot. For god sake...we invented them and to us it is a generic term for any boot or slipper that is made from sheepskin.

Oh....by the way Ug boots (or Ugly boots if you want the true meaning) are objects of derision out here. Only people of lower socio-economic and lower education standards wear them.

Doesn't the fact that he's figured out how to build so many shill accounts to boost his tally prove that he's not a rookie? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's me, shilling up message board popularity contest votes in order to boost my ego thumbsup2.gif